Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

badfish

SDSU vs Army in the Armed Forces Bowl

8 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

You've always been a greater supporter of Thompson too for some reason. Are you his nephew or something?

If so, I missed out on the "Hair" gene.

No, I've never supported Thompson, nor have I criticized him. Because I'm not a university president or athletic director, I don't really have an opinion, at least an informed one, about Thompson's job performance. Of course, this is a message board and it's all about opinions, informed or NOT.

1 hour ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

i actually have kind of a bad feeling about this game for SDSU.   Hope the aztecs take care of business but army is solid.

Rocky has a really good track record vs Academy teams. We also have 3 weeks to prepare, and a game vs Navy to watch film on. I'm not too worried about it. I mostly just want to see Penny go for 250

1 hour ago, badfish said:

Rocky has a really good track record vs Academy teams. We also have 3 weeks to prepare, and a game vs Navy to watch film on. I'm not too worried about it. I mostly just want to see Penny go for 250

Yeah I think Rocky's D will stifle Army's running and we will pound them on offense.

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

2 hours ago, renoskier said:

No, I've never supported Thompson, nor have I criticized him. Because I'm not a university president or athletic director, I don't really have an opinion, at least an informed one, about Thompson's job performance. Of course, this is a message board and it's all about opinions, informed or NOT.

He "rescued" you from the WAC so you will be forever indebted to him.  The original members have a different light on him.

27 minutes ago, renoskier said:

For 10 years, the original members thought he was awesome.

A graph of MWC success would be an almost perfect bell curve. For the first several years the league struggled but with Utah's hiring of Urban Meyer in 2003 and the conference's addition of TCU and creation of The Mtn network two years later things really took off over the next five years. However, by 2012 The Mtn was defunct and all of the Big Three had left and the conference has been slowly going downhill ever since. (Not blaming you, Boise, so don't get your hackles up.)

The MWC is now definitely inferior to what it was at its inception in 1999. No way would any football coach still be around in such circumstances and it's high time for Thompson to be shown the door too.

Boom goes the dynamite.

3 hours ago, renoskier said:

How is it an opinion?

Is the fact we have only 1 bowl tie in with a P5 school an opinion?

Is the fact he allowed BYU’s tier 3 rights to be negotiated away without their support and then lost BYU an opinion?

Is the fact he agreed to a bonus plan that would obviously result in penalizing the large market teams, sell it as a performance plan and then cancel it saying the payouts were random an opinion?

Is the fact he took our one negotiating strength, being one of two window 4 Conferences, and destroyed it by agreeing to negotiate the Boise deal separately an opinion? 

Is the fact he has the 6th ranked basketball team in the country begging to be part of the conference but let them get away to his top rival further strengthening them an opinion?

yes it’s an opinion that Thompson has the strategic insight and negotiating skills of a banana bug but the facts above make that supportable.   

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

Pound is an appropriate term. Other than Ohio State, I'm pretty sure Army hasn't played anybody as physical as we are this year.

Physically (at least between the ears) Army will be the toughest team we face this year. Don't kid yourself. Additionally they have a very potent running attack and a beast of a fullback. I believe this year they also found out about that thing called the Forward Pass...

Penny will get his mileage, our D will have their hands full. Better come focused, if so this is a blowout.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

I can positively say with 100% confidence that Utah didn't rely on this goof, nor did they trust his leadership.. He honestly was thought of as a puppet and his negotiating skills were less than desired.

Utah leadership created their own destiny and we had our own internal goals/metrics.. Utah/BYU leadership were also putting the most pressure on the problems with exposure(within our own footprint) regarding the Mtn network.. While Hair was just yapping what he was told to in the media. Utah politicians even got involved during the BCS access debates.. Nothing to do with Hair..

I get what people are saying when they call this guy a clown but at the end of they day, it all comes back to the actions and goals of each University.. IMO, MWC presidents needed to get rid of this goon many years ago and get an innovator with some balls.

11 minutes ago, Rev McQuervo said:

Physically (at least between the ears) Army will be the toughest team we face this year. Don't kid yourself. Additionally they have a very potent running attack and a beast of a fullback. I believe this year they also found out about that thing called the Forward Pass...

Penny will get his mileage, our D will have their hands full. Better come focused, if so this is a blowout.

I'm sure you're correct about their toughness. However, you're incorrect about the forward pass, only 18 of which Army has completed.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

And you knew this as an outsider?  Even if I give you a maybe from what you said about 10 years, what about after?  

Rocky said he has a trick play to show Penny's versatility that the Aztecs will use early.

Aztecs now at -7. That jump from -6.5 to -7.0 is a big jump.

Army handled both AFA and Navy rushing attacks well, but the Aztecs are different. The Aztecs are a power running team. It will be interesting to see how they handle that.

SDSU has had 5 upper half NCAA berths in a row.

On 12/3/2017 at 7:36 PM, sactowndog said:

What happened is the Big 10 sent Purdue west to play Arizona versus sending Purdue to the Quicklane bowl to play Duke.   So instead of SDSU or Fresno getting to play a PAC-12 team, NIU gets to play Duke in the Quicklane bowl.    

Thompson needs to be fired. 

Wrong.  The Big 10 sent Purdue west because they are required to (and it has to be a different team each year) and MAC has a pre-existing secondary contract with the Quick Lane Bowl to fill slots that the Big 10 or ACC cant.

So I guess Thompson needs to be fired because he cant land a secondary contract with a bowl game 2 time zones away vs a conference right in their backyard.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

The MWC has secondary contracts with the Cactus Bowl and the Foster Farms Bowl (much better bowls than the Quicklane Bowl).  But they were both fulfilled by the conferences this year.  The reason why Boise State went to the Cactus Bowl last year was because of that secondary contract as the Pac-12 could not fulfill their bowl contracts.

3 minutes ago, namssa said:

The MWC has secondary contracts with the Cactus Bowl and the Foster Farms Bowl (much better bowls than the Quicklane Bowl).  But they were both fulfilled by the conferences this year.  The reason why Boise State went to the Cactus Bowl last year was because of that secondary contract as the Pac-12 could not fulfill their bowl contracts.

Don't be bringing facts into this safe space.

Everybody here knows it's all Hair's fault.

Didn't you get the memo? Thompson sucks!

Now that you know, straighten up and fly right.

5 minutes ago, namssa said:

Yup. As a conference we got screwed by a bunch of P5 schools in general eking out 7-5 and 6-6 seasons.  Happens. 

16 minutes ago, RSF said:

Wrong.  The Big 10 sent Purdue west because they are required to (and it has to be a different team each year) and MAC has a pre-existing secondary contract with the Quick Lane Bowl to fill slots that the Big 10 or ACC cant.

So I guess Thompson needs to be fired because he cant land a secondary contract with a bowl game 2 time zones away vs a conference right in their backyard.

Okay why are the required to send Purdue west versus the much closer eastern bowl against Duke?