Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WilliamHicks

How does your team look for next season?

From yesterdays starters:

Fresno loses 3 on offense ( 2 O line and 1 WR (possession guy, only 1 TD this year)

They return their #1 and #3 WR's. Both TE's, and all 4 RBs including the 2 headed Freshman monster (Rivers, Mimms the Starters), the bruiser FB type (Hokit, 7TDs) and their scat back (Oneal). 

On D they lose 3, all from the line. Forrester (big loss) and 2 DE's. 

They bring back all 3 LBS ( REALLY Talented group), both CBs and both S's. 

I have little faith in anything much better than 7-5. If that happens, Bobo is gone. Not to be some SEC head coach guru, but out begging for a job as an OC at some school. 

We might be more accurate with QB (and maybe he can actually scramble for a few yards and not stare down his primary receives or throw into double coverage).

Running backs and WR will be good, maybe somewhat great (figuring a strong year from Izzy Matthews but that depends on...)

The offensive line is a question mark.

Defensively how much farther down can we go? Not much without hitting bedrock. Like @Headbutt said, it really depends on who Bobo hires for his DC, and, in my opinion, how he uses his 10th coach. I thought this year would be better growth wise since we were young last year and needed some reps, but we all saw what that outcome was so I'm not even sure that play this year was in any way informing or growing for our kids on the defense. 

I'd still like to see Jamie Bryant gone, but for now, he's still on staff and that means the special teams and secondary will be under his control and that's been our Achilles heel.

I can see losses to CU and Boise again.

OOC:

CU (L), ARK (W--but depends on what they return), FLA (L--but could surprise), Ill St (W) 

MWC: maybe 5-3. Losses to @Boise, @AF and possibly @Nev or Wyo. (Really depends on when these games are scheduled, but Bobo's history is that he just can't win trophy/big games)

6 minutes ago, WACkyGuy said:

Fresno loses 3 on offense ( 2 O line and 1 WR (possession guy, only 1 TD this year)

They return their #1 and #3 WR's. Both TE's, and all 4 RBs including the 2 headed Freshman monster (Rivers, Mimms the Starters), the bruiser FB type (Hokit, 7TDs) and their scat back (Oneal). 

Boise, Fresno and SDSU are going to be really freaking good next year.

6 hours ago, sactowndog said:

LVE would be dumb not to go NFL.   Every football player is one injury away from life changing money and endorsements.    The man was dominant and is a high pick.   I think you will miss him from your D. 

Will be interesting how many top picks skip the bowl games this year after the injury to the tight end last year.   It seems to happen more than you would like to lose career earnings for an exhibition. 

They would miss him for sure, but they do have a 5th year SR that was one of the leading returning tacklers heading into the season before having a season ending injury. 

11 minutes ago, gold-n-brown said:

Not sure if that is the answer, I am just your typical fan but man I was frustrated with a lot of the play calling this season

Often very frustrating play calling to be sure but you can't discount how much the on field talent and experience at times dictates/limits the play calling.  Sometimes the tail wags the dog.  More often than not I think player expereince/talent was the bigger issue this season.

I like what Nevada has coming back and with a full season of recruiting to the new schemes on offense and defense, I think the Pack can take the momentum from the end of the season into next year. We have one of the best receiving units that we've had in a while with the freshman Mannix and the junior O'Leary-Orange coming back along with Celis and Armstrong returning. We have speed and big receivers that we've been missing for a while. I think Gangi improved his deep ball this year and he is a threat running the ball. I like Norvell so far and think he has us moving in the right direction.

41 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Often very frustrating play calling to be sure but you can't discount how much the on field talent and experience at times dictates/limits the play calling.  Sometimes the tail wags the dog.  More often than not I think player expereince/talent was the bigger issue this season.

It was.  Same play calling last year and you had a pretty good offense.  You just had really good receivers and an NFL caliber RB.

2 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

Ask me again once we've made a few new hires on the D-Coaching Staff.

I hope it is a few. Jamie Bryant needs to go, too.

8 hours ago, WACkyGuy said:

The key for Fresno is the D line.  Malik will be hard to replace.   We have Micah Quick coming in as a receiver and the best OLine players are coming back.   We shall see.