Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WilliamHicks

How does your team look for next season?

A few weeks ago I would have said that we'd have another top 20 offense, and another bottom 20 defense.

Now I'm wondering about the defense depending on who comes on board to run it.  I'm also wondering about the offense.  They're kind of hot stuff.  Can they avoid being poached?   Two Biletnikoff finalists in 4 years almost guarantees some serious offers for WR coach Whitted.

No prediction for next year.  We'll see how the off season plays out.

CSU might be a better team than 2017 that will struggle to get 6 wins.  

The offense has the talent to be really good.  The QB could be better than 2017, the wide receivers as good, the backs the same, oline is the ?.  The game experience is what they don't have.

The defense can't be any worse than 2017.  A new DC gives some hope but recruiting, coaching and player development will be the key to improvement.

Schedule: CSU plays cu in Denver, Arkansas, @ FL, Illinois State

@ Boise Nevada SJSU AFA. Home Hawaii UNM Utah ST wyo

The Bobo years can best be described as underachieving. Losing to Boise @ home when leading by 14 and two minutes left created an open wound. The bowl game results may provide some closure or not.  He has to get the cu monkey off his back this year.  He loses that one again not too many Bobo believers will be left.  

9 hours ago, KingBronco said:

Roh didn't play tonight but will be a huge loss for us next year. We also lose all-MWC first team center Mason Hampton and second team tackle Archie Lewis--both those guys are really good and will be missed. The entire starting defense is back though, minus LVE if he decides to go to the NFL...and that's not counting first team DE Curtis Weaver who wasn't even a starter. We should have either 17 or 18 starters returning plus our kicker, punter and FG/PAT snapper.

LVE would be dumb not to go NFL.   Every football player is one injury away from life changing money and endorsements.    The man was dominant and is a high pick.   I think you will miss him from your D. 

Will be interesting how many top picks skip the bowl games this year after the injury to the tight end last year.   It seems to happen more than you would like to lose career earnings for an exhibition. 

Don't expect too see much improvement in our defense.  Sanchez will more than likely retain the worst DC in the MWC.  He is saying that "We are a family".  I guess he doesn't want to break up the family.  After next season Sanchez will be fired and we start the wash/rinse cycle all over again.

We will have a more experienced QB in Rogers.  Stanton and Palendech will be gone as backups but, perhaps the incoming freshman from Texas will get thrown into the mix quickly.  Another 6'5" dual threat QB.

Charles Williams should be back at RB after an early season injury this year.  A much bigger version of Lex Thomas.  Fast and hits hard.

But, until we fix our defensive problems don't expect us to be any different next year.

12 hours ago, KingBronco said:

Roh didn't play tonight but will be a huge loss for us next year. We also lose all-MWC first team center Mason Hampton and second team tackle Archie Lewis--both those guys are really good and will be missed. The entire starting defense is back though, minus LVE if he decides to go to the NFL...and that's not counting first team DE Curtis Weaver who wasn't even a starter. We should have either 17 or 18 starters returning plus our kicker, punter and FG/PAT snapper.

Roh hopefully gets to play in the bowl game but he and Wilson going means we are almost void of a top receiving option.   And we'll see how Mattison recovers;  we're going to need to have a smash mouth run game next year.     But at TE, I really like the look of Bates and wished they'd gone to him more late in the season.  Big, smooth route runner with great hands.   He's my pick to take a bunch of Roh's minutes next year. 

Archie Lewis had me scratching my head;   looked awesome one play then like he was on hinges the next play letting his man in easily.   Too many penalties too.    We need to replace Hampton but I think finding a good RT won't be as hard.   

Even if LVE goes early, there are 2 big, fast young LB's (Kelemete who's the same exact size as LVE and Breydon Boyd from Katy, TX who's 6'3" and moves great) to work with Maeva.  Hopefully at least one is ready to go.   Defense and special teams could be the strength again next year. 

Our offense struggled with Allen.  I actually think our offense will be better next year and our defense should be better as well. Not saying we will challenge the new big three :rolleyes: but straight to the bottom-no

3 hours ago, Aztecmg said:

I don’t follow Wyoming, but is Josh Allen declaring this year? With him we might have 4 top 30 teams in the Mountain West in 2018. Without him Wyoming goes straight to the bottom.

Yes, he is gone.  No way Wyoming goes to the bottom with the defense.  

3 minutes ago, gold-n-brown said:

Our offense struggled with Allen.  I actually think our offense will be better next year and our defense should be better as well. Not saying we will challenge the new big three :rolleyes: but straight to the bottom-no

That is just silly talk.   As bad as we played against SJSU, the Pokes were still 19 points from an undefeated conference season.  All three losses were with next years backup Nick Smith ending the game.  But, two of the losses were Boise and Fresno.   SDSU lost to Fresno by more than 19 points and almost that amount to Boise.   Just saying. 

The offense can't get any worse...Josh Allen or not.  The D will be salty.  

2 hours ago, NWRebel said:

Don't expect too see much improvement in our defense.  Sanchez will more than likely retain the worst DC in the MWC.  He is saying that "We are a family".  I guess he doesn't want to break up the family.  After next season Sanchez will be fired and we start the wash/rinse cycle all over again.

We will have a more experienced QB in Rogers.  Stanton and Palendech will be gone as backups but, perhaps the incoming freshman from Texas will get thrown into the mix quickly.  Another 6'5" dual threat QB.

Charles Williams should be back at RB after an early season injury this year.  A much bigger version of Lex Thomas.  Fast and hits hard.

But, until we fix our defensive problems don't expect us to be any different next year.

Better hope so.  If Sanchez gets you to a bowl game, & I expect he will, you might be in trouble.  It's a lot tougher to fire a coach that took you to a bowl game & has the team on the rise.  We were praying that Polian wouldn't make a bowl game.

13 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I expect Nevada to be better.  Not good but better.

2nd year with new systems, most of the Off comes back so I expect we'll be better.  Prediction, 3rd in the West & 6th overall.  We lost 3 games by a total of 7 pts.  If the Def gets better & we win a couple of those we move up.  

1 hour ago, gold-n-brown said:

I hope you're right as there isn't much room for the offense to get worse.  Out of 129 FBS teams Wyoming's offense was about as pitiful as they come this season.  The only bright spots were 4th down conversions and Redzone offense much of which I attribute to Josh Allens ability/threat to scramble and rush for first downs/touchdowns.  The offensive players are going to have to make dramatic improvements during the off-season or there will have to be some better athletes be they redshirts or Juco transers stepping onto the field for the first time to make up for the loss of Allen.  Barring these I think the Pokes are at least 2 seasons away from being good on offense.  Thank god for the Cowboys salty defense!

Passing offense #101

Rushing offense #118

Total offense #125

First downs #124

Time of possession #114

Third down conversions #114

Fourth down conversions #19

Redzone offense #3

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/21