Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Arizona at UNLV

The key to slowing UNLV down is to keep Jordy and JoJo away from the basket. The AZ bigs "showing" on the ball screens way out on the perimeter made it really tough for our little guards to get things moving. Juiston and McCoy are very difficult to stop and seemingly, will get "theirs" most nights, especially in the MW. There's not much you can do about it. So take the three point line away and stop Rebs from penetrating. I'm not sure how many MW teams are going to be able to do this as effectively as AZ did, but it looks like that's the recipe to give UNLV difficulty right now. UNI didn't do this exactly but the Rebel guards had a bad game (except Clyburn) and it was just enough.

12 hours ago, Yellow Evan said:

Are we really gonna be better next year? We won't have our starting backcourt and McCoy. Depends on how Hardy and Beck play as the season goes along I guess.

Not sure any newcomer could replace McCoy, but a couple of talented workable bigs could fill the void - The MWC isn't a haven for super talented centers so that could be lesser of an issue...........finding a floor general could be the more difficult thing. UNLV has had hot and miss transfer PG's over the last decade - UNLV needs to get a Fr or So to lead the PG position & have him around for a few seasons.

Replacing Juiston will be a big task also 

34 minutes ago, toonkee said:

The key to slowing UNLV down is to keep Jordy and JoJo away from the basket. The AZ bigs "showing" on the ball screens way out on the perimeter made it really tough for our little guards to get things moving. Juiston and McCoy are very difficult to stop and seemingly, will get "theirs" most nights, especially in the MW. There's not much you can do about it. So take the three point line away and stop Rebs from penetrating. I'm not sure how many MW teams are going to be able to do this as effectively as AZ did, but it looks like that's the recipe to give UNLV difficulty right now. UNI didn't do this exactly but the Rebel guards had a bad game (except Clyburn) and it was just enough.

Johnson driving under the basket with no plan other than to improvise might work against some teams but not against better teams that have serious size in the paint 

The highlighted sentence above is spot on..........not sure any team in the MWC has a duo that can matchup with Juiston & McCoy around the basket.

One side note: How much of Juistons success & production is a product of having McCoy next to him - Guess we will find out next season as it's likely McCoy will depart for the NBA........but if McCoy stays another year :rock:

McCoy makes mistakes but he's not a bad defender. 

He shut down koch last 15 mins of game against UNI. Think he had only 1fg in that span.

Ayton is a #1 pick in my eyes. He's got it all. McCoy held his own against him.

Problem is you can't play defense any more and McCoy knows it. Hands straight up and hope they miss or have low release and tip it...thats all you can do. Which I'm glad he does. He's too strong offensively to lose to foul trouble.

Hamilton and Woodbury coming in next year. Gonna be much better on the perimeter.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

Guest RoscoesDad
1 hour ago, BestintheWest said:

McCoy makes mistakes but he's not a bad defender. 

He shut down koch last 15 mins of game against UNI. Think he had only 1fg in that span.

Ayton is a #1 pick in my eyes. He's got it all. McCoy held his own against him.

Problem is you can't play defense any more and McCoy knows it. Hands straight up and hope they miss or have low release and tip it...thats all you can do. Which I'm glad he does. He's too strong offensively to lose to foul trouble.

Hamilton and Woodbury coming in next year. Gonna be much better on the perimeter.

Thats my point with mccoy and his defense and why i think marvin needs to consider rotating mbacke and dembele more for defensive purposes and simply to just give fouls that would be mccoy's.  He is clearly trying to avoid getting in foul trouble and that is great.  We got 2 bigs on the bench that cant score other than a dunk and cant dribble or catch a pass....but they got 10 fouls to give up and that should be their purpose on this team, at least when we play teams with a good forntcourt.  

7 minutes ago, RoscoesDad said:

Thats my point with mccoy and his defense and why i think marvin needs to consider rotating mbacke and dembele more for defensive purposes and simply to just give fouls that would be mccoy's.  He is clearly trying to avoid getting in foul trouble and that is great.  We got 2 bigs on the bench that cant score other than a dunk and cant dribble or catch a pass....but they got 10 fouls to give up and that should be their purpose on this team, at least when we play teams with a good forntcourt.  

UNLV, the the center position, certainly has the depth this season to employ a "hack a Shaq" strategy !

18 minutes ago, RoscoesDad said:

Mbacke Diong has a lot of potential.  Keep in mind that he’s only 17.

1 hour ago, UNLV2001 said:

UNLV, the the center position, certainly has the depth this season to employ a "hack a Shaq" strategy !

I don’t think you understand what “Hack a Shaq” strategy is? Other teams fouled Shaq to send him to the FT line because he shot like 30%? It had nothing to do with keeping him out of foul trouble. 

Tale of 2 halves.... 

Arizona adjusted their D at halftime and UNLV did..... ???.... UNLV looked deer in the headlights first 12 or so minutes of second half.  

That said I give em credit for not calling it a game and staying in there for the last 8 minutes of regulation. I thought they were ready to fold after AZ took the lead, they did not.

McCoy was up against a stud but his D in the second half was putrid. I know he was worried about fouls but thats no excuse. He filled the stat sheet but he has to show more on D. 

Johnson has looked absolute butt in the last few games which is disgouraging.

I still cant get over how they didnt even try to make up a play for the end of regulation.  Ugly-ass contested 3 which obviously missed to send it to OT.

I know its early but will Marv ever be able to play with the big boys?  2nd half and late game adjustments were putrid.

Enjoyed the fact we had a lot of fans there and the atmosphere was electric.  Good job to those who showed up.

The backcourt has to step it up and we have to improve defensively, that is all.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

Guest RoscoesDad
On 12/3/2017 at 1:39 PM, UNLV2001 said:

Its not hack a shaq strategy. It is called using your depth to displace fouls from your starters to the bench.  As in change your rotation and put a scrub on the guy who is going off for a career high against our lottery pick because he is rightfully too afraid to play defense in a system where he is put one on one every posession. 

On 12/3/2017 at 2:49 PM, NevadaFan said:

I don’t think you understand what “Hack a Shaq” strategy is? Other teams fouled Shaq to send him to the FT line because he shot like 30%? It had nothing to do with keeping him out of foul trouble. 

1 hour ago, RoscoesDad said:

Its not hack a shaq strategy. It is called using your depth to displace fouls from your starters to the bench.  As in change your rotation and put a scrub on the guy who is going off for a career high against our lottery pick because he is rightfully too afraid to play defense in a system where he is put one on one every posession. 

My point was that UNLV has 10 fouls on the bench Menzies can use if he wants to protect McCoy from foul trouble - Not hack a Shaq in the true sense. but it's 10 fouls that aren't on McCoy & Juiston 

Maybe pair up MCoy & Diog then Juiston with Dembele - Heck even Djordjije Sljivancanin could play some zone under the basket - That's 15 fouls 

Guest RoscoesDad
3 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

My point was that UNLV has 10 fouls on the bench Menzies can use if he wants to protect McCoy from foul trouble - Not hack a Shaq in the true sense. but it's 10 fouls that aren't on McCoy & Juiston 

Maybe pair up MCoy & Diog then Juiston with Dembele - Heck even Djordjije Sljivancanin could play some zone under the basket - That's 15 fouls 

That is where I was going actually.  If you ask me I'd be starting Hardy at the 2 and Dembele (or perhaps Beck) at the 4...and bring Mooring and Juiston off the bench for a super-sub type of thing.  Can you imagine that - Juiston off the bench?  Yeah crazy idea until you consider he'd probably play the same minutes per game.  Dembele and Mbacke bring no value off the bench, one of them should start aside McCoy and guard his man and take his fouls. UNLV has the luxury of being deep and it's about balancing out the rotation during the game. It's not about who starts, everyone is going to play.

31 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Djordjije is being redshirted I believe.