Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gator 82

Northern Nevada Schools

2 minutes ago, Poster17 said:

Again, I bring up the question, What is recruiting?  I'm under the impression that recruiting is making connections with players and families in order to get them to come to your school.  Just about everyone recruits at some level.  The top football programs definitely do. 

As it pertains to high schools, I would say "recruiting" is when you reach outside of your zoning boundaries.

7 minutes ago, renoskier said:

As it pertains to high schools, I would say "recruiting" is when you reach outside of your zoning boundaries.

Absolutely, but it can't just be confined to that as private schools have no boundaries.  Still, they recruit probably harder than public schools and can get away with it.  That's the problem which can never be resolved.  That is why it blows my mind anyone can say that FL doesn't recruit.  Of course they do.  They offer financial assistance.  They talk to players and families and try to get them to come to their school.  They start young with feeder programs.  Without a doubt they recruit.

Recently Gorman played McQueen for the girls soccer championship which was won by Gorman. In the handshake line after the game, two McQueen girls were approached by the Gorman coaches about moving to Vegas to come and play for Gorman next year. The coaches said they would be in touch. In addition to being poor sportsmanship, I think that would meet the definition of recruiting.

2 minutes ago, Top Hat Wolf said:

Recently Gorman played McQueen for the girls soccer championship which was won by Gorman. In the handshake line after the game, two McQueen girls were approached by the Gorman coaches about moving to Vegas to come and play for Gorman next year. The coaches said they would be in touch. In addition to being poor sportsmanship, I think that would meet the definition of recruiting.

That most definitely is.  A lot of schools use the youth coaches to do the same thing.  The connections they make at the youth level are invaluable to recruiting.  

Today there was a meeting of the Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association realignment committee meeting and it seemed that it is now assumed the 5A division will be created and the hotter discussion is whether Gorman and LVHS will alternate which league they are in, to keep the same schools from having to chase BG year after year...

(Quoted from LVSun article) Bishop Gorman at center of fight over football realignment

The newly created 5A classification will be split into two yet-to-be named leagues, which are only for football.  One will consist of Arbor View, Canyon Springs, Centennial, Faith Lutheran, Las Vegas and Legacy. The other will have Basic, Bishop Gorman, Coronado, Foothill, Green Valley and Liberty.

The most contested point of the meeting was whether Bishop Gorman and Las Vegas would swap places, but the committee eventually set the 5A classification on a 7-2 vote.

Barnson suggested having Bishop Gorman alternate between the two 5A leagues. “They can move back and forth very easily. Allow some of the old Sunset teams that have had this 800-pound gorilla for the last 10 years a chance to get away from that,” he said.  Bishop Gorman was represented at the meeting by Athletic Director and head basketball coach Grant Rice, who said Gorman had no problem switching divisions.

Here is the money quote from the LV Sun: 

Some schools wanted to move up a division, and some wanted to move down a division. But the one thing they all agreed on was they didn’t want to play Bishop Gorman in football.

“Give us a chance to get away from Gorman,” said Arbor View football coach Dan Barnson, whose team has been eliminated by Bishop Gorman six years in a row. During those six seasons, Arbor View is 49-4 against all other teams and 0-6 against Bishop Gorman.

“All of us in old Sunset (region) have been dealing with Gorman for a really long time,” Barnson said. “There have been some good teams in that Sunset region that would have loved a chance to play in the state championship game. This would allow someone new to get a chance.”

So I guess this wasn't about Northern Nevada crybabies after all.  There were sure a lot of dumb-ass posts in this thread.

14 hours ago, BleedRebelRed said:

Today there was a meeting of the Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association realignment committee meeting and it seemed that it is now assumed the 5A division will be created and the hotter discussion is whether Gorman and LVHS will alternate which league they are in, to keep the same schools from having to chase BG year after year...

(Quoted from LVSun article) Bishop Gorman at center of fight over football realignment

The newly created 5A classification will be split into two yet-to-be named leagues, which are only for football.  One will consist of Arbor View, Canyon Springs, Centennial, Faith Lutheran, Las Vegas and Legacy. The other will have Basic, Bishop Gorman, Coronado, Foothill, Green Valley and Liberty.

The most contested point of the meeting was whether Bishop Gorman and Las Vegas would swap places, but the committee eventually set the 5A classification on a 7-2 vote.

Barnson suggested having Bishop Gorman alternate between the two 5A leagues. “They can move back and forth very easily. Allow some of the old Sunset teams that have had this 800-pound gorilla for the last 10 years a chance to get away from that,” he said.  Bishop Gorman was represented at the meeting by Athletic Director and head basketball coach Grant Rice, who said Gorman had no problem switching divisions.

Cause it’s not just the north that’s sick of Gorman. No chit. 

11 minutes ago, NWRebel said:

@Gator 82 perhaps you would consider renaming this thread Northern Nevada Crybaby’s.  It would be more appropriate what with the incessant crying from those Northern cowards.  It’s shameless how much they are afraid of the Gaels.

Or perhaps you can read the article. Nah! Quotes be damned! 

8 hours ago, DixieWolf said:

Here is the money quote from the LV Sun: 

So I guess this wasn't about Northern Nevada crybabies after all.  There were sure a lot of dumb-ass posts in this thread.

the attitude of vegas and several others, is 'to be the best you have to beat the best.'

but, sounds like arbor view should just drop down with the north and the other schools that took that option, and quit whining about it.

2 hours ago, NWRebel said:

@Gator 82 perhaps you would consider renaming this thread Northern Nevada Crybaby’s.  It would be more appropriate what with the incessant crying from those Northern cowards.  It’s shameless how much they are afraid of the Gaels.

Well, we faced up against the bigger LV schools for years with no whining & actually we were pretty competitive.  But going up against a semi-pro team is a bit too much.  If you paid attention you'd know the Southern schools aren't too happy about Gorman either.

55 minutes ago, wolfan8431 said:

Well, we faced up against the bigger LV schools for years with no whining & actually we were pretty competitive.  But going up against a semi-pro team is a bit too much.  If you paid attention you'd know the Southern schools aren't too happy about Gorman either.

False.  https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/football/niaa-finalizes-football-leagues-for-class-5a-in-southern-nevada/

“If they’re in our division, we’ll play them every year, that’s fine, I have no problem with that, it gives us an extra chance to beat them,” Liberty coach Rich Muraco said. “The disadvantage would be if you beat them in the regular season, then you lose to them in the playoffs that would kind of suck.

“I’m not afraid to play Bishop Gorman.”

---

22 minutes ago, NWRebel said:

False.  https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/football/niaa-finalizes-football-leagues-for-class-5a-in-southern-nevada/

“If they’re in our division, we’ll play them every year, that’s fine, I have no problem with that, it gives us an extra chance to beat them,” Liberty coach Rich Muraco said. “The disadvantage would be if you beat them in the regular season, then you lose to them in the playoffs that would kind of suck.

“I’m not afraid to play Bishop Gorman.”

There are other Southern Nevada high school coaches that feel the same.  

Oh, so there's one.

There were two in the North that wanted to stay in the top division. 

Pussies in the south.

“There were many disagreements and debates at today’s Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association realignment committee meeting, but nearly all of them surrounded one school — Bishop Gorman.

Coaches, athletic directors and administrators from Southern Nevada met inside the auditorium at Chaparral High School, joined by their Northern Nevada counterparts to discuss the realignment of high school athletics.

Some schools wanted to move up a division, and some wanted to move down a division. But the one thing they all agreed on was they didn’t want to play Bishop Gorman in football.“

Which part of that is confusing for you Vegas tards?