Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SharkTanked

Tony Sanchez deserves more time to build UNLV football program

By Ed Graney, LVRJ https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/sports-columns/ed-graney/tony-sanchez-deserves-more-time-to-build-unlv-football-program/

This is not the era of Bill Ireland or Ron Meyer or Tony Knap or even Harvey Hyde, former UNLV coaches who produced winning records in times when the game wasn’t so clearly defined by the shameless riches on one side of the college spectrum, when the haves existed on another planet from the have-nots.

There are absolutely non-Power Five programs that have done more with less, that have won consistently at a high rate despite such an inequitable balance of finances. A few exist within the Mountain West. UNLV isn’t one, and yet it’s also not a program whose evaluation of a coach can be reasonably framed in three seasons.

Not when things have been this bad for this long.

This isn’t entirely a Sanchez problem or a Sanford problem or a Hauck problem.

This is a culture problem.

UNLV doesn’t have one.

But there is a shred of hope, and it’s scheduled to break ground in January.

A structure such as the Fertitta Football Complex won’t alone guarantee UNLV becomes an annual league contender and bowl participant, but it affords Sanchez a level of recruiting tool those who came before him lacked.

“(Sanchez) and I talk and text daily,” Reed-Francois said. “It’s important we have a relationship of candor and mutual respect, and it’s my job to make sure I’m providing Tony and the program all the resources they need to be successful.

“We will sit and evaluate everything, from top to bottom, and implement whatever is needed to meet those expectations. We’re both very competitive, and we both know big things can be done here at UNLV.

“I hold head coaches accountable. I’m not going to usurp their power and tell them who to hire. I’ll retain veto power in case we do a background check and some NCAA or ethical issues pop up, but it’s not my place to dictate who a coach has on his or her staff. I will always hold the head coach accountable.

“I absolutely see a ray of light, with the Fertitta Football Complex and (NFL) stadium coming. I think we have some really good strengths to build for the future.”

The past is as inadequate as the record suggests.

How is Sanchez doing? We’ll let you know in two years.

At some point, if this thing is going to be relevant, that revolving door needs to stop moving.

UNLV football coaches since 1986

— Wayne Nunnely (1986-89) 19-25

— Jim Strong (1990-93) 17-27

— Jeff Horton (1994-98) 13-44

— John Robinson (1999-2004) 28-42

— Mike Sanford (2005-09) 16-43

— Bobby Hauck (2010-2014) 15-49

— Tony Sanchez (2015-present) 12-24

The next UNLV Football coach needs the time to recruit and get us a solid team built for the new Stadium in 2020.  Keeping Sanchez is unfair to the next coach and his staff who won’t have as much time to build the team into an elite Top 25 powerhouse by 2020.  Keeping Tony is so hurtful to the programs long term success.  The next coach shouldn’t have to wait 11 more months to get started.  Disgraceful keeping a coach that lost to a HOME GAME Howard.  Show some pride for once and maybe people will suooort the program.

Be honest about this and you will all agree that Sanchez never will be around to open the new place.  So why waste another year just prolonging the inevitable?   It makes zero sense.

1 minute ago, RebelRobert said:

The next UNLV Football coach needs the time to recruit and get us a solid team built for the new Stadium in 2020.  Keeping Sanchez is unfair to the next coach and his staff who won’t have as much time to build the team into an elite Top 25 powerhouse.  Keeping Tony is so hurtful to the programs long term success.  The next coach shouldn’t have to wait 11 more months to get started.

Who would you hire Rob?

The next UNLV Football coach needs the time to recruit and get us a solid team built for the new Stadium in 2020.  Keeping Sanchez is unfair to the next coach and his staff who won’t have as much time to build the team into an elite Top 25 powerhouse.  Keeping Tony is so hurtful to the programs long term success.  The next coach shouldn’t have to wait 11 more months to get started.

Who should that Coach be RR?  I'm anxious to hear the list of coaches - undoubtedly they will be carrying large amounts of baggage or they will be an up and comer.  Up and comer's always come with a risk.  I admit, I thought UNLV made a huge mistake in hiring Sanchez, but he has done a much better job than I thought he would and the program is on an upwards trajectory. 

16 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

By Ed Graney, LVRJ https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/sports-columns/ed-graney/tony-sanchez-deserves-more-time-to-build-unlv-football-program/

This is not the era of Bill Ireland or Ron Meyer or Tony Knap or even Harvey Hyde, former UNLV coaches who produced winning records in times when the game wasn’t so clearly defined by the shameless riches on one side of the college spectrum, when the haves existed on another planet from the have-nots.

There are absolutely non-Power Five programs that have done more with less, that have won consistently at a high rate despite such an inequitable balance of finances. A few exist within the Mountain West. UNLV isn’t one, and yet it’s also not a program whose evaluation of a coach can be reasonably framed in three seasons.

Not when things have been this bad for this long.

This isn’t entirely a Sanchez problem or a Sanford problem or a Hauck problem.

This is a culture problem.

UNLV doesn’t have one.

But there is a shred of hope, and it’s scheduled to break ground in January.

A structure such as the Fertitta Football Complex won’t alone guarantee UNLV becomes an annual league contender and bowl participant, but it affords Sanchez a level of recruiting tool those who came before him lacked.

“(Sanchez) and I talk and text daily,” Reed-Francois said. “It’s important we have a relationship of candor and mutual respect, and it’s my job to make sure I’m providing Tony and the program all the resources they need to be successful.

“We will sit and evaluate everything, from top to bottom, and implement whatever is needed to meet those expectations. We’re both very competitive, and we both know big things can be done here at UNLV.

“I hold head coaches accountable. I’m not going to usurp their power and tell them who to hire. I’ll retain veto power in case we do a background check and some NCAA or ethical issues pop up, but it’s not my place to dictate who a coach has on his or her staff. I will always hold the head coach accountable.

“I absolutely see a ray of light, with the Fertitta Football Complex and (NFL) stadium coming. I think we have some really good strengths to build for the future.”

The past is as inadequate as the record suggests.

How is Sanchez doing? We’ll let you know in two years.

At some point, if this thing is going to be relevant, that revolving door needs to stop moving.

UNLV football coaches since 1986

— Wayne Nunnely (1986-89) 19-25

— Jim Strong (1990-93) 17-27

— Jeff Horton (1994-98) 13-44

— John Robinson (1999-2004) 28-42

— Mike Sanford (2005-09) 16-43

— Bobby Hauck (2010-2014) 15-49

— Tony Sanchez (2015-present) 12-24

We all agree

The World Needs More Cowboys!

Just now, Wolfhomie said:

Who should that Coach be RR?  I'm anxious to hear the list of coaches - undoubtedly they will be carrying large amounts of baggage or they will be an up and comer.  Up and comer's always come with a risk.  I admit, I thought UNLV made a huge mistake in hiring Sanchez, but he has done a much better job than I thought he would and the program is on an upwards trajectory. 

He has increased his win total each season. The counter to that is the competition has gotten arguably worse each season. He has managed a big underdog win each season too. UNR, then WYO, then FSU. The only really bad loss he had is this year with the Howard debacle. Honestly if they win that game this isn't really even a debate.

I want our coordinators replaced more than I want Tony gone.  And, especially our DC.  But, if he doesn't see the problems with them then he can go to.  

2 minutes ago, NWRebel said:

I want our coordinators replaced more than I want Tony gone.  And, especially our DC.  But, if he doesn't see the problems with them then he can go to.  

I have gone over this coordinators nonsense before.  Only a total moron would want Sanchez to be allowed to fire the coordinators and hire new ones.

Sanchez hired the best guys he could get.  If he fires these bums the replacements will be ten times worse.  We have been down this road.  No competent employed coordinators are going to come work for a coach going into his final season in the job when they know he will be fired.  All Sanchez will do is what others have done before in his situation.  Hire his brother to be one of the coordinators and hire one of his buddies who is totally unqualified for the other spot.  They will just ride out the one year in the PERS gravy train.

Putting in a new offense and defense at this point is ridiculous.  Just hire a NEW HEAD COACH instead if you have decided to go a different direction.

Sanchez can’t get anyone better.  We have seen what he can do and it sucks.

22 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

He has increased his win total each season. The counter to that is the competition has gotten arguably worse each season. He has managed a big underdog win each season too. UNR, then WYO, then FSU. The only really bad loss he had is this year with the Howard debacle. Honestly if they win that game this isn't really even a debate.

You're not putting Reno or BYU on that list?

I do give UNLV props. They normally give a coach 4-6 years to prove they suck

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

1 hour ago, RebelRobert said:

The next UNLV Football coach needs the time to recruit and get us a solid team built for the new Stadium in 2020.  Keeping Sanchez is unfair to the next coach and his staff who won’t have as much time to build the team into an elite Top 25 powerhouse by 2020.  Keeping Tony is so hurtful to the programs long term success.  The next coach shouldn’t have to wait 11 more months to get started.  Disgraceful keeping a coach that lost to a HOME GAME Howard.  Show some pride for once and maybe people will suooort the program.

Be honest about this and you will all agree that Sanchez never will be around to open the new place.  So why waste another year just prolonging the inevitable?   It makes zero sense.

Oh sha-dup will you? Unless you suddenly pony up some huge bucks, Sanchez is about your best bet. He really is. He knows FB and he's good with kids, but he doesn't get much support from a missing FB culture that runs the gamut. If you're not getting anything out of your perpetual rinse-repeat coach hiring philosophy, then maybe it's the flip'n shampoo that's not working, elvis! 

Your new AD knows this, and she appears to really have a lot of energy invested in diagnosing what the culture problem actually is. I don't think any past AD's have even gotten this far. Though, it's not going to happen quickly if there isn't some decent winning to give it a lot of life. 

I have no idea how well she can pick coaches, let alone at this level. So if she can't do that, her culture mission will ultimately fail. If she's smart, she'll stick with Sanchez for a couple more seasons. This will be her first coaching decision that has to work. 

kat.jpg

13 minutes ago, Nevada Convert said:

A total A-Hole with no class that's all about himself. 

That's the city of Las Vegas personified!  Sounds like a match made in heaven.

Now if Fresno could just find a meth-addled gang member who lives in his mom's smoky basement to coach their team...