Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pokerider

Democrats don't even want to talk about Tax Bill

1 hour ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Which is why I am SO in favor of paying for female contraceptives.  I find abortion to be disgusting and inhumane.  

The double standard is what +++++ing kills me about the religious right.  They claim to hate abortion but the idea they might have 25 bucks more a year in taxes to provide contraceptives is just out of the question.

Take my money.  +++++ I will pay $250 a year gladly to give women in poverty stricken areas the pill.  

The religious right who rally against abortion while simultaneously thinking contraceptives provided to lower income females is a form of welfare can choke on a dick and die.  JMHO. 

With regard to abortion, I believe there are different degrees of the procedure. For legality, I personally believe it should remain fully legal for very early term morning after pills up to mid-term surgical termination procedures that are conducted within the first 16 to 20 weeks. Anything after that should require a medical exemption cleared by a judge because unless the baby is going to be seriously deformed or stillborn, it's pretty much a murder past that point. Seriously, if a woman is carrying a baby after 20 weeks and decides she doesn't want to go through with delivering it because of the cost, inconvenience, or stigma associated with it, that's both selfish and deranged. She would have had plenty of time before that to know about the pregnancy and to terminate it. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Claire McCaskill‏Verified account @clairecmc

We politely asked to adjourn till Monday morning. So we could read and study the bill we were just given. Answer was no. So we are here blindly re-arranging the American economy in the middle of the night.

Brad Evans‏Verified account @BradMyNBC5

#breaking: That’s it: GOP #TaxPlan passes 51-49

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

Claire McCaskill‏Verified account @clairecmc

We politely asked to adjourn till Monday morning. So we could read and study the bill we were just given. Answer was no. So we are here blindly re-arranging the American economy in the middle of the night.

Brad Evans‏Verified account @BradMyNBC5

#breaking: That’s it: GOP #TaxPlan passes 51-49

Great glad to know all of America will lose their step up in basis so Trump can get his estate tax waived.   

43 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

Great glad to know all of America will lose their step up in basis so Trump can get his estate tax waived.   

I didn't even think about that.   They basically just put the "death tax" on the middle class. 

Posted Image

22 hours ago, renoskier said:

Why keep these? They should phased out also, just more social engineering.

I'm ok with that philosophically also. It would have major effects on the housing industry as far as employment and decrease donations to non profits like womens and childrens shelters though.

My family is completely +++++ed by this bill. We're even more +++++ed the next two years if the tuition waiver portion goes through, as my wife has a partial waiver from JHU for her Masters. 

9 minutes ago, retrofade said:

My family is completely +++++ed by this bill. We're even more +++++ed the next two years if the tuition waiver portion goes through, as my wife has a partial waiver from JHU for her Masters. 

How much are you getting in tuition waivers

The World Needs More Cowboys!

I suggest you all watch the Robert Reich documentary on Netflix. It's called Saving Capitalism. I know...it's Robert Reich and that will turn some of you off but it's actually quite calm, fair and even critical of the Clinton years.  It's more about the dangers of the degree of wealth inequality that exists today and how it's at the root of much of our problems and politics. We've seen these scenarios before. It's really unhealthy for a country to be in the situation we're in. 

3 hours ago, retrofade said:

Almost all poor people including 67% of tax filers do not itemize.  They doubled the personal exemption and doubled the kid deduction.

So 67% of the poorest in the population has recieved a huge tax cut.   Including you I am sure.

Rant on donkey, sorry to get in the way with facts.

16 hours ago, pokebball said:

It's income, remember?

What the hell does our theoretical conversation on the best hypothetical way to structure the estate tax have to do with this?  They just eliminated the estate tax for the wealthy and took away the stepped up basis for people with small inheritances.  The wealthy got all of their tax issues resolved with estates and created some for the middle class.  Let me know when the wealthy have to pay regular income tax rates on the inheritance and then we can talk....

Posted Image

6 hours ago, Akkula said:

What the hell does our theoretical conversation on the best hypothetical way to structure the estate tax have to do with this?  They just eliminated the estate tax for the wealthy and took away the stepped up basis for people with small inheritances.  The wealthy got all of their tax issues resolved with estates and created some for the middle class.  Let me know when the wealthy have to pay regular income tax rates on the inheritance and then we can talk....

Just a few years ago some were on this board whining about income being income and if someone gets $100,000 through an inheritance, then dammit,it's income.  Pay the $20,000 in tax, smile and be happy for the $80,000 net you've gotten and move on.

Funny how a new administration suddenly changes that tune.

Just an observation Akkula.  Own it.  Don't own it.  But there were dems here with this opinion.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

24 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Just a few years ago some were on this board whining about income being income and if someone gets $100,000 through an inheritance, then dammit,it's income.  Pay the $20,000 in tax, smile and be happy for the $80,000 net you've gotten and move on.

Just an observation Akkula.  Own it.  Don't own it.  But there were dems here with this opinion.

Funny how the narrative changes solely based on who’s in office.  Not surprised though, the partisan blinders are thick with several on this board.

v0icAvfW.jpg

1 hour ago, pokebball said:

I think I talked about return on Capital versus return on labor being taxed equally if you eliminate the double taxation on earnings, by eliminating the Corporate Income tax.  I have yet to get an answer from you why the US should be providing preferred tax rates for an investment in China?   

However, I do wonder why you choose to deflect Akkula’s point that the middle class lost a significant tax break to allow those with etates over 11M to get a giant one.   This change just further consolidates wealth in fewer and fewer hands.  Do you think this change is a good thing?