Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV at Northern Iowa

Just now, SharkTanked said:

Honestly, I'd like to get out of Vegas hosted tournaments in the future. That's when we should be getting some real road games, even if the arena is neutral. Get the team out early for a decent roadie to get their confidence/experience up. Especially with a team with so many new faces. I am sure we probably had this last tournament locked in a few years ago though. I hope it's something that Menzies looks at though.

I think there is a limit on tournaments? Not sure but I agree with you. 

@4UNLV might know more on those restrictions.

I want another New York tourney. That was a helluva time.

All is well, For Rice is gone.                  

I think UNLV pulls out a close one.  I haven't seen a shot chart or anything, but it feels like we get a bunch of our points close to the basket. McCoy is shooting 60% and Juice is shooting 64% from the field and that is because they both get shots so close to the basket.  Johnson and Clyburn get quite a few points slashing to the basket.  I mention this because this kind of offense travels well. Defense is, in my opinion, 80% effort, and that travels well, too.  I think UNLV will travel well and think this is the first, of several, chances we will get to prove it.

the rebels average 13 more possessions a game than northern iowa. while northern iowa can try and slow the game down, the fact that the rebels will have the advantage on the boards, advantage in transition and advantage at getting to the line.... this one should be a unlv win. just have to stay disciplined and focused in the half court on defense. opportunities on offense should present themselves. high % points in transition and at the line are often the difference makers in close games. 

northern iowa also has a pretty low assist rate. i don't watch their games but i like unlv's odds to win their man to man matchups if northern iowa isn't beating teams with ball movement and catch and shoot shots.

obviously first road test so there's that factor but this seems like a tough and together squad, i'd be bummed if they came out intimidated on the road

3 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

Honestly, I'd like to get out of Vegas hosted tournaments in the future. That's when we should be getting some real road games, even if the arena is neutral. Get the team out early for a decent roadie to get their confidence/experience up. Especially with a team with so many new faces. I am sure we probably had this last tournament locked in a few years ago though. I hope it's something that Menzies looks at for future seasons though.

As I found out when I was corrected in another thread, the MGM Main Event was an exempt tournament that allowed UNLV to play several games over the 27 game limit this season - so actually it helps the young team by getting them more games and helps the win total for March.

21 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

As I found out when I was corrected in another thread, the MGM Main Event was an exempt tournament that allowed UNLV to play several games over the 27 game limit this season - so actually it helps the young team by getting them more games and helps the win total for March.

You have to play a minimum of 27 non-exempt games.  You can actually play an additional 4 exempt games.  You can’t exceed 31 games.  The kicker also is exhibition and scrimmages don’t count towards the 31 and the exhibition opponent can’t be division one.  

Make no mistake, this is a tough team, especially on their home floor. They have already been tested in a few tough games last week  and are coming home with confidence. The Rebels will see a tough and disciplined team that is ready for battle. We probably should be a 5-7pt dog. It will be a very good win if we we can pull it off. I don't see this as any kind of a marker if we lose, just good experience either way.

1 minute ago, quickdraw said:

Make no mistake, this is a tough team, especially on their home floor. They have already been tested in a few tough games last week  and are coming home with confidence. The Rebels will see a tough and disciplined team that is ready for battle. We probably should be a 5-7pt dog. It will be a very good win if we we can pull it off. I don't see this as any kind of a marker if we lose, just good experience either way.

1 point favorites

5 hours ago, SharkTanked said:

Honestly, I'd like to get out of Vegas hosted tournaments in the future. That's when we should be getting some real road games, even if the arena is neutral. Get the team out early for a decent roadie to get their confidence/experience up. Especially with a team with so many new faces. I am sure we probably had this last tournament locked in a few years ago though. I hope it's something that Menzies looks at for future seasons though.

I have mixed feelings on this.  The team does need some road games.  We're starting to look like some of Larry Shyatt's Wyoming preseason schedules.

But I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling that I'm not getting full value for what I'm paying for season tickets the past few seasons.  The non T&M games this season do actually add some value to the season tickets.  T-Mobile was a great game-day experience.

1 hour ago, BleedRebelRed said:

I have mixed feelings on this.  The team does need some road games.  We're starting to look like some of Larry Shyatt's Wyoming preseason schedules.

But I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling that I'm not getting full value for what I'm paying for season tickets the past few seasons.  The non T&M games this season do actually add some value to the season tickets.  T-Mobile was a great game-day experience.

Meh, people whine too much about the home schedules. We've never really had good ones and the rodeo has always gotten in the way. It is what it has always been. As you say with the T-Mobile and MGM games, this is probably the best we've ever had it. Even in the glory years with ESPN help we only got a couple of really good home games.

The difference is the lack of middling teams like Kruger used to get on the regular. That's coach's discretion though. Honestly Kruger probably put together the best schedules we ever had.

3 hours ago, NWRebel said:

You have to play a minimum of 27 non-exempt games.  You can actually play an additional 4 exempt games.  You can’t exceed 31 games.  The kicker also is exhibition and scrimmages don’t count towards the 31 and the exhibition opponent can’t be division one.  

Just adding something else I read.  You can also play an institution from Hawaii or Alaska, in those states, and it is excluded from the above game count.  That helps those schools in those two states get teams to come out there and play them.

And, in regards to the 27 non-exempt games you can choose to have a maximum of 29 non-exempt games if you do not participate in a qualifying regular season multiple team event (tournament). 

However, if you participate in a qualifying regular season multiple team event ,(Like what the Rebels did with the tournament in Vegas recently), you  can play as many as four games in those tournaments.  That is where you get your 31 I mentioned above.  What the Rebels did was to play Prairie View A&M at home as well as Eastern Washington but, those games were scheduled as part of the tournament because the MGM tournament format didn't accommodate more than two games at the MGM in the way they formatted their brackets.  UNLV was able to not just get Prairie View but, we got Eastern Washington at home to complete the 4 games for this one tournament.

There are other rules but, you will have to read the NCAA Manual as there are just too many for me to include here.  These are the main rules for the number of games allowed.

17 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

UNLV averages 13.8 seconds per offensive possession, 6th fastest in college basketball. Northern Iowa averages 20.1 seconds per offensive possession, 2nd slowest in college basketball.

This is a counter intuitive stat given UNLV operates much of their offense through the 7ftr McCoy. I wonder how many teams with a legit C have offensive tempos under 15 seconds??

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman

Drives me crazy when I hear people use "we" in reference to their favorite sports team. 

You are not on  the team. 

You are not affiliated with the team in any way, they don't know you exist and you have no bearing at all on how well or poorly they do. 

All you do is give them money. 

They are an entity unaffiliated with you, you are not part of the team. You are not a part at all of any accomplishments they may achieve. 

correct term wold be 'they" .

5 minutes ago, akbballfan said:

Drives me crazy when I hear people use "we" in reference to their favorite sports team. 

You are not on  the team. 

You are not affiliated with the team in any way, they don't know you exist and you have no bearing at all on how well or poorly they do. 

All you do is give them money. 

They are an entity unaffiliated with you, you are not part of the team. You are not a part at all of any accomplishments they may achieve. 

correct term wold be 'they" .

Thanks, Dad.