Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Headbutt

RAMS to get new DC.

14 minutes ago, AKram said:

I have no idea and if he’s good then bring him in. I was just looking at what the folks in Tallahassee had to say. Sure, FSU is in a “different” realm athletically than CSU, but why should we not have the same expectations that a FSU has? In the article, the author writes: Kelly has done a passable job that would have been good enough at all but 20-30 college football programs. Why should we be the “good enough” programs and not the 20-30 where he would be shown the door? If you want higher standards, hire for them, too.

You talk like there are no budget constraints.  I'd be ecstatic with Coach Kelly as out DC.

27 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

You talk like there are no budget constraints.  I'd be ecstatic with Coach Kelly as out DC.

I get that there are budget constraints. I get that we can't have clones of Nick Saban. However, whether it is because they recruited players that were prima donnas and felt like their s*** didn't stink or if he just can't coach, it concerns me that he couldn't keep control of his defense and had to resort to gimmicks like oaths and promise notes to give effort. From the article: "Even more damning for Kelly is the lack of effort that his defense has played with during his tenure." We don't have a defense that can survive as a top 15 defense playing half-as****; we need a team that gives 100% to be decent. He might be a great person, good coach, but if he couldn't manage his players and get these 5*s to perform like 5*s, what may happen here? Maybe it'll be different with 3*s and walk-ons without an attitude and he coaches them up into a monstrous juggernaut of a defense, but, I was just noting that there were concerns regarding his control/coaching in the past.

If he's hired, I'll give him as much leeway as I have Bobo who I have defended against the folks who want to see him gone.

File this one under the Well Duh File:

Another note from bowl conference is that he's interviewed 6 candidates and no time frame for hiring. I can't help but wonder why every other program needs to hire as quick as possible because of recruiting needs, but CSU has no time frame?

39 minutes ago, AKram said:

File this one under the Well Duh File:

Another note from bowl conference is that he's interviewed 6 candidates and no time frame for hiring. I can't help but wonder why every other program needs to hire as quick as possible because of recruiting needs, but CSU has no time frame?

I can answer that one.  The translation is, I'm trying to outkick my coverage on a DC and I don't want to hire a guy that will bounce to P5 two weeks later.  I'm a G5 coach, with a G5 team, in a G5 town that has a superior quality of life.  I need to make sure the guy I get is the best guy on the market that won't get an offer from a P5.  Either that or a brilliant DC that likes flyfishing, microbrews, and mary jane.