Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Billings

2017-2018 coaching carousel

3 minutes ago, NWRebel said:

I don't think he is too old.  What if SDSU would have said Rocky Long was too old.  He got the suds job when he was older than Bohl.  Rocky is 8 years older than Bohl and Rocky looks like he will be around for a long time.  Nick Saben at Alabama is 7 years older than Bohl.  

Nah,  I think if he gets the right assistants he would do well there.

This is a very critical hire for NU because they need to stop their slide.  I don't think a guy like Bohl will excite the fan base, especially after his stint at DC there.  I know that was a long time ago, but it would be a hard sell to a lot of fans.  Does he have enough recruiting connections for a P5 school?  Can he play the high level recruiting game?  Does he want to?  I also question if he has done enough at Wyoming to warrant a move up to a big time school with huge expectations.

I think G5 schools are willing to take chances on older coaches, but not schools like NU.  People groaned about Riley's age.  Saban is in a league of his own.  

I very well could be wrong, but I just don't see it happening.  

17 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Rumors out there that Leach is a possibility at Tennessee.  That would be interesting to say the least.  

Leach would be interesting.  I wonder if Bill Moos would take a look at him at Nebraska.  When Moos left Wazzu there were some that speculated that Leach would follow.  Leach said he wouldn't but, I'm sure he didn't want to say anything because Riley was still the coach.

When Moos left the worry started:

"The other, perhaps more worrying dynamic, is with Mike Leach. Moos was very, very public about his adoration for Leach and the hefty support of an athletic director is something he considers very important."

5 minutes ago, NWRebel said:

Leach would be interesting.  I wonder if Bill Moos would take a look at him at Nebraska.  When Moos left Wazzu there were some that speculated that Leach would follow.  Leach said he wouldn't but, I'm sure he didn't want to say anything because Riley was still the coach.

I don't think Leach is going to NU.  Just doesn't seem like a great fit for a few reasons.  

3 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

How times have changed - Nebraska went from 1961 to 1997 with two coaches and now have :The next Huskers coach will be their fifth in 15 years. 

I think that says more about the quick evolution of the game (and its athletes) in the last couple decades more than Nebraska itself. 

Don't get me wrong, NU hasn't been sparkling coming out of their 90's runs, but they've had trouble adjusting to match the modern game's aspects against the bluebloods from their Midwestern outpost. That's on the field as well as off.

The south has out-corn fed the corn-fed schools with bulk while the flash and gimmick during the Big XII years has left them on a wobbly identity.

These types of schools are the poster children for how the sport once was and how the entertainment factor for college football has left a lot of these places on the outside looking in...even on the P5 level.

Wyoming fans should be at defcon 3. Maybe not worth a 2 yet, but Nebraska might yo-yo back to a more traditional Big 10 approach and look at Bohl. These schools take a slash and burn approach to the lower conference divisions and might take him if he's a partial fit...only to smite competition.

1 minute ago, Wyobraska said:

That probably also means Frost to Nebraska. 

Could be.  He is the hometown favorite I would imagine.  He would be the first choice otherwise you would piss off part of the fan base there.  

Leach still might end up elsewhere.  Moos had a falling out with the new Wazzu president and that is why he left and I'm sure that doesn't sit well with Leach.  Leach at Arizona State would be fun.  A hell of a lot easier to recruit to than Wazzu.