Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fanhood

Two bid league this year

46 minutes ago, Packman04 said:

Unfortunately I agree with most that say it’s a one bid league but, especially early in the season, I find this site to be a better indicator of where the MW might end up.  Besides Fresno already losing to Evansville, the conference really needs to thrash the MVC in our upcoming games.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/confrpi.html

Yeah I'm surprised the Missouri Valley is doing so well even after losing Wichita.

10 minutes ago, bigd said:

Yeah I'm surprised the Missouri Valley is doing so well even after losing Wichita.

And Creighton, but that has been a solidly dedicated basketball conference for a long time. They were a really fun conference before all this realignment.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 minute ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

And Creighton, but that has been a solidly dedicated basketball conference for a long time. They were a really fun conference before all this realignment.

Yeah Valparaiso was a good replacement, they've had some good teams over the years. Northern Iowa looks legit this year, should be a good matchup with UNLV.

18 hours ago, RiverCityBronco said:

I hope UNLV is back.  They are the marquis name for basketball in the conference, and the conference needs them to be good.  

Used to be the big name. Ask younger people across the country who UNLV is in BB, and they'll look at you weird. Can the Rebs make a comeback and get consistently good for a while? I hope so for the sake of the MWC. I'm sure they'll get much better than last year, but UNLV needs a new owner and GM, so to speak, to do big things.  

It's tough to compete with the big boys. As we have also found out with Groth, it's even much tougher to compete when your management is constantly making unforced errors. For us to go from Groth and Carter to Knuth and Muss, it's the biggest game changer of all, for Nevada. Now all we need is a prez that'll fund FB and BB at least to the MWC average. But that's another topic.

At least our prez did help out when trying to keep Muss from going to CAL. If Groth were to be in charge now, forget even having had Muss. Even if we did have Muss, he would now be gone because Groth had been on record many times that she wasn't ever going to get into the coaching sweepstakes's and pay a coach a million $ or more. For this year, Muss has a 1 mil base, and with bonuses he probably will make between 1.2 - 1.3 mil. So good management is crucial. 

kat.jpg

2 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Used to be the big name. Ask younger people across the country who UNLV is in BB, and they'll look at you weird. Can the Rebs make a comeback and get consistently good for a while? I hope so for the sake of the MWC. I'm sure they'll get much better than last year, but UNLV needs a new owner and GM, so to speak, to do big things.  

It's tough to compete with the big boys. As we have also found out with Groth, it's even much tougher to compete when your management is constantly making unforced errors. For us to go from Groth and Carter to Knuth and Muss, it's the biggest game changer of all, for Nevada. Now all we need is a prez that'll fund FB and BB at least to the MWC average. But that's another topic.

At least our prez did help out when trying to keep Muss from going to CAL. If Groth were to be in charge now, forget even having had Muss. Even if we did have Muss, he would now be gone because Groth had been on record many times that she wasn't ever going to get into the coaching sweepstakes's and pay a coach a million $ or more. For this year, Muss has a 1 mil base, and with bonuses he probably will make between 1.2 - 1.3 mil. So good management is crucial. 

lol. we still have more cache than you will ever have, it would take us about 20 seconds to gain back much of what we have lost, you can already see signs of it with the media. unfortunately no one else can say that. sdsu would be next up with the steady rise over YEARS that fisher created for them, if muss sticks around maybe in a few years unr will start developing some, but right now you're a flash in the pan. if muss were to leave any time soon, forget it.

boise fans will understand what i'm saying.

and btw, we still have the 5th winningest % in the country, i just saw a graphic on that a couple of days ago.

AND, we DO have a new AD.

20 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

lol. we still have more cache than you will ever have, it would take us about 20 seconds to gain back much of what we have lost, you can already see signs of it with the media. unfortunately no one else can say that. sdsu would be next up with the steady rise over YEARS that fisher created for them, if muss sticks around maybe in a few years unr will start developing some, but right now you're a flash in the pan. if muss were to leave any time soon, forget it.

and btw, we still have the 5th winningest % in the country, i just saw a graphic on that a couple of days ago.

Did I say Nevada had any amount of "cache"? Waiting..........

And no, I'm not going into the past when Nevada basketball had years of success in the 2000's. This is today. 

Did I not say that I hope UNLV improves because it's good for the conf? 

You need a new AD that's good. Is this new one a good one? Time will tell, but the fact is that you need a new AD (that's good). 

I know, how dare I question holy basketball in Vegas. 

kat.jpg

2 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Cachet.  Cache (pronounced CASH) is a stash.

9 hours ago, BacksThePack said:

I hope UNLV gets better, will be that much more satisfying giving them their annual whoopings.

Hey, that's our line.  But since UNLV won't play us anymore you'll have to dish out those whoopings for us.

18 hours ago, bigd said:

18 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

18 hours ago, bigd said:

Yeah Valparaiso was a good replacement, they've had some good teams over the years. Northern Iowa looks legit this year, should be a good matchup with UNLV.

Don't be mislead by the fact that the MVC is ahead of the MWC -> the MVC is also a one-bid league.

The MVC will never recover from losing Creighton and Wichita State.  The MWC will never get back to where it was with BYU, Utah, and TCU, but at least there is some hope if the AOE (SDSU/UNLV/UNM=Axis of Evil) can return and teams like Nevada, BSU, Fresno St, and Wyoming stay competitive.

The problem for conferences like ours is that the RPI is that having so many teams with poor RPIs on the conference schedule drags down everyone's strength-of-schedule.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:59 AM, cardrater said:

3 bids.

UNLV has a chance to pick up huge wins in OOC. 

Nevada is hovering in the top 25 and plays 2 b12 teams in the next month. 

SDSU has looked good besides thier second half meltdown to ASU. Also has a chance for some good wins.

Wyoming/BOISE could have a decent OOC record. 10+ wins from each of them before conference play starts would help boost the MW profile. 

niga-what.png

Nevada just lost to San Francisco and San Diego State lost to Wyoming...

ONE BID LEAGUE

ysOR4zJ.gif

On 11/24/2017 at 6:31 AM, 4UNLV said:

UNLV is still the biggest MWC name in basketball.