Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RiverCityBronco

The Rise and Fall of BYU athletics

How do you they get off with the "honor code" excuse that it's too restrictive, when the history of their "thing" has been littered with human rights violations? 

Women's rights: nope, get in line with the rest of the bitches.

Black power: I don't think so. They were about the last "organization" to allow blacks to participate.

Sexual rights: not at BYU, sex is an honor code violation.

Now, after 100's of years of being anti-everything except white males that breed, they're suddenly some last bastion for morality and their team is expected to be a bunch of saints(that consistently play as dirty as any team in America).

What the hell is going on in Provostan?

34 minutes ago, Bob said:

Political correctness and the liberal-controlled media have proven to be powerful tools. 

It's weird to me that people who are married would think letting LGBT people marry would diminish their marriage somehow.   

Posted Image

3 hours ago, Bob said:

+1. Shame on any conference member that schedules them. Suck it Boise, SDSU (especially), Utah State (little brother from the same mother) 

Many posters were pissed that our brand new wienie AD Wicker at the time, scheduled them down the road and tried to sell it.  BYU smartly took advantage as soon as he took over for Jim Sterk, who was adamant about not scheduling them.  Wicker better have learned a lesson.

13 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Not the issue at all, but I suspect you know that already.

Hmmm, "same-sex attraction" (Mormon term) marriages are bad and immoral, but marrying 14 year old, other men's wives, the help is a-ok? Come on now, give brother Joseph a break!

The writer of the article has worked at Deseret News for neigh-on to 40 years so he's obviously a true believer. Although Robinson obviously believed it, I call bullshit at Fehlberg's assertion that BYU to the Pac was a done deal if CU had also then agreed to join. The truth is much more like said in this comment to the article.

I guess I'll contribute my two cents as a former athlete at BYU and current Cougar Club member. 

In reality, there was no way that the PAC 12 would ever have admitted BYU back in 2010. The four California schools would never have allowed it, and they carry the weight in the conference. BYU at the time was seen for what it is, a private religious school with all the trimmings, and that doesn't fit the profile of the conference membership. I doubt it ever will. 

Boom goes the dynamite.

4 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

Much ado about nothing.

BYU made its decision and will either continue in Indy or drop football.   While being an AAC football affiliate may be intriguing for BYU, they still won't join a G5 conference.   

For better success, they need to separate the church from BYU but I doubt that is going to happen.

In its infancy USC was very much a Methodist school and it remains pretty conservative politically but it dumped the religious affiliation decades ago in the interests of intellectual freedom and, frankly, athletics. To my knowledge although Notre Dame is still affiliated with the Catholic Church, the Church doesn't run the university. Particularly as the country becomes more and more secular, that is going to be a factor holding back the university.

Boom goes the dynamite.

1 hour ago, NorCalCoug said:

No, it wasn't.  It may be a popular politiCal talking point but it doesn't make it true.

Tell me what you think it was?   Prop 8 -eliminates the right of same sex couples to marry.   The LDS church went covert and bat shit crazy trying to pass it.  Since it's been ruled unconstitutional 

Posted Image

4 hours ago, edluvar said:

Tell me what you think it was?   Prop 8 -eliminates the right of same sex couples to marry.   The LDS church went covert and bat shit crazy trying to pass it.  Since it's been ruled unconstitutional 

That's a lot like saying Germany's invasion of Poland started WWII. A lot of things started WWII. A lot of things have isolated byu* and a lot of things have alienated byu*. Prop 8 was just a symptom, one of many...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

I love the way the zoobies have such a high opinion of themselves and constantly make themselves out to be a victim. "Everyone knows that we are P5-worthy. The only reason we didn't get invited is because the mean P5 conferences hate Mormons." Please. BYU's big problem isn't Mormonism but rather the fact that they just don't bring that much to the table. Why exactly is BYU P5-worthy? The idea that they have a "national following" is a myth. I enjoy pointing out that their bowl games have consistently drawn lower ratings than USU's bowl games over the psat 7-8 years. Their teams have generally been solid but not spectacular. If winning games made a school P5-worthy, Boise State has a much better claim than BYU. But BSU will probably never be invited to a P5 league as a result of their small home TV market and weak academics. Likewise BYU doesn't move the TV dial much, and their academics are very weak. The idea that anti-Mormon bigotry was the reason that the PAC-12 chose Utah over BYU was especially laughable. Athletically Utah had multiple major bowl wins, Sweet Sixteen appearances, and #1 draft picks. Plus the fact that Utah beats BYU every time they play. But athletics aside, Utah is a legitimate research university and BYU is a Bible college. Academics matter a lot to the PAC-12 presidents. The PAC-12 rejected Oklahoma largely because they were worried that the two Oklahoma schools would dilute the PAC-12's academic brand. And while the Oklahoma schools are second-tier research universities, they are at least research universities. But somehow if a conference that rejects Oklahoma also rejects BYU, it must be because they don't like Mormons. It couldn't possibly be that BYU's mediocre athletics aren't exciting enough to justify diluting the conference's academics. The schadenfreude I got from reading that article was really delicious.

Trolling aside, is it true that Niumatalolo wanted the BYU job but they picked Sitaki instead? I was under the impression that Niumatalolo turned BYU down so they went to Sitaki as Plan B. If they turned picked an unproven coordinator over an experienced (and fairly successful) head coach, then I have to laugh even harder at their current situation.

6 hours ago, StanfordAggie said:

I love the way the zoobies have such a high opinion of themselves and constantly make themselves out to be a victim. "Everyone knows that we are P5-worthy. The only reason we didn't get invited is because the mean P5 conferences hate Mormons." Please. BYU's big problem isn't Mormonism but rather the fact that they just don't bring that much to the table. Why exactly is BYU P5-worthy? The idea that they have a "national following" is a myth. I enjoy pointing out that their bowl games have consistently drawn lower ratings than USU's bowl games over the psat 7-8 years. Their teams have generally been solid but not spectacular. If winning games made a school P5-worthy, Boise State has a much better claim than BYU. But BSU will probably never be invited to a P5 league as a result of their small home TV market and weak academics. Likewise BYU doesn't move the TV dial much, and their academics are very weak. The idea that anti-Mormon bigotry was the reason that the PAC-12 chose Utah over BYU was especially laughable. Athletically Utah had multiple major bowl wins, Sweet Sixteen appearances, and #1 draft picks. Plus the fact that Utah beats BYU every time they play. But athletics aside, Utah is a legitimate research university and BYU is a Bible college. Academics matter a lot to the PAC-12 presidents. The PAC-12 rejected Oklahoma largely because they were worried that the two Oklahoma schools would dilute the PAC-12's academic brand. And while the Oklahoma schools are second-tier research universities, they are at least research universities. But somehow if a conference that rejects Oklahoma also rejects BYU, it must be because they don't like Mormons. It couldn't possibly be that BYU's mediocre athletics aren't exciting enough to justify diluting the conference's academics. The schadenfreude I got from reading that article was really delicious.

Idiot

v0icAvfW.jpg