Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RiverCityBronco

The Rise and Fall of BYU athletics

That was pretty interesting to read.  But it ignored one major factor in BYU going independent:  They didn't just want the TV exposure, they wanted the lion's share of TV money.  Contracts were being negotiated and they found a way to keep most of what the MWC would have gotten.  And what about the plan to pull in USU and some WAC teams and destroy the MWC?  Why wasn't that mentioned?

"Same Shyatt Different Decade"

Why any MWC football program schedules them in the future is beyond me.  CSU, Wyoming, UNM, and Air Force have shunned them. I wish the rest of the MWC. Other than SJSU who would provide a team that plays at BYU's level.

Just now, Joe from WY said:

I feel the same way. I'm really really happy to see CSU/Wyo/UNM/AFA shun them the way they have. We should as a conference blackball them entirely and let them grovel to the Big Sky to fill out their november schedules. Bout the same competition level anyway, BYU and the Big Sky. 

They can always get UMASS to Provo in November.  Definitely a match-up to get Cougar fans excited.

The prop 8 thing was huge in perception for BYU.   It seems like they are getting what they wanted though.  More games coast to coast to use football as a means to spread the word.   

Posted Image

8 minutes ago, Bob said:

+1. Shame on any conference member that schedules them. Suck it Boise, SDSU (especially), Utah State (little brother from the same mother) 

Why not schedule them?   They are a de facto member of the conference without getting any of the monetary or bowl opportunities from the mwc.   

Posted Image

“We have been systematically kept out of not just the Pac-10, but after that, the Big 12,” says Fehlberg. “This has been good, old-fashioned religious discrimination masquerading as academic snobbery that legitimizes an otherwise untenable position.”

-- Breaking out the old "religious discrimination" card. The LDS church is absolutely ignorant of their own discrimination and (polygamous/polyandrous) history.

Much ado about nothing.

BYU made its decision and will either continue in Indy or drop football.   While being an AAC football affiliate may be intriguing for BYU, they still won't join a G5 conference.   

For better success, they need to separate the church from BYU but I doubt that is going to happen.

58 minutes ago, baileyake said:

“We have been systematically kept out of not just the Pac-10, but after that, the Big 12,” says Fehlberg. “This has been good, old-fashioned religious discrimination masquerading as academic snobbery that legitimizes an otherwise untenable position.”

-- Breaking out the old "religious discrimination" card. The LDS church is absolutely ignorant of their own discrimination and (polygamous/polyandrous) history.

I would say discrimination is what prop 8 is all about.   Had they stayed out of that fight they would have had a better chance.  

Posted Image

3 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

I like how its always everyone else's fault except their own. 

Exactly. Their smug attitude towards the MWC , and feelings of inadequacy compared to Utah will kill them athletically. Everyone can see it except for the cougars . 

1 hour ago, edluvar said:

I would say discrimination is what prop 8 is all about.   Had they stayed out of that fight they would have had a better chance.  

They should have stayed out of it.

However, look at Prop 8. BYUs position was not counter-cultural. The people voted to not make same sex marriage legal. In Cali-+++++ing-Fornia! Think about that? Yet, here we are, nine years later, and things are very different. You have to hand it to the LGBT lobby. In 10 short years, they completely changed the narrative. It is impressive.