Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SparkysDad

Diabolical Coaching

So, with Boise State and Fresno playing back-to-back, do you think there's a chance that one (or both) of the teams would simply use the first of the two games to set up the opposing team for the only meaningful game of the match up?

I'm not necessarily saying that one of the teams would even purposefully lose the game in the process.  I'm just saying that a smart coach has an entire meaningless game to maybe display a ton of false tendencies that would payoff big in the "real" game for the MW Championship.

Thoughts?

In Boise State's case, just as an example, they could play the entire first game incredibly "pass happy" against Fresno State.  Then in Game 2, start Cozart and run the read option for the first half.

I think that BSU is going to go balls to the wall in both games. The Broncos have a national ranking to keep building on. Potential high ranking recruits themselves see a nationally ranked team wanting them... that means something! It is in BSU's best interest to WIN OUT and get as high a ranking as possible. An outside change for a NY6 game, yes... but there's still a chance; they're still in the conversation about it... nothing but good for them and the MWC, for the Broncos win out.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

I think we'll see more Cozart in the first game than he's played in the last 4 weeks or so. Not only to keep Rypien healthy but to help establish the running game against a good Fresno Defense.  Wouldn't be surprised if quite a few players were rested in this one either.  Wilson, LVE, Moa have all been pretty banged up lately.

1 hour ago, SparkysDad said:

So, with Boise State and Fresno playing back-to-back, do you think there's a chance that one (or both) of the teams would simply use the first of the two games to set up the opposing team for the only meaningful game of the match up?

I'm not necessarily saying that one of the teams would even purposefully lose the game in the process.  I'm just saying that a smart coach has an entire meaningless game to maybe display a ton of false tendencies that would payoff big in the "real" game for the MW Championship.

Thoughts?

In Boise State's case, just as an example, they could play the entire first game incredibly "pass happy" against Fresno State.  Then in Game 2, start Cozart and run the read option for the first half.

Nah, even wasting practice time on coming up with a game plan to display false tendencies is a waste.  Use those practice reps to emphasize your strengths and work on your weaknesses.  If one staff overthinks this, they will likely lose both games.

“JUST WIN OUT” should be the motto for both teams at this point. 

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

5 hours ago, LoboMan59 said:

I think that BSU is going to go balls to the wall in both games. The Broncos have a national ranking to keep building on. Potential high ranking recruits themselves see a nationally ranked team wanting them... that means something! It is in BSU's best interest to WIN OUT and get as high a ranking as possible. An outside change for a NY6 game, yes... but there's still a chance; they're still in the conversation about it... nothing but good for them and the MWC, for the Broncos win out.

I would imagine that both teams will probably be a little vanilla on offense. 

I do think Boise has a lot to prove this year. There were a lot of people wanting to write off the Broncos, and finishing strong would do a lot towards drowning those people out.

I think tedford goes all out and Fresno wins this one.  He can't afford to keep it vanilla, and the fanbase will forgive him for an out of sight loss in boise the next week if they get a win in front of them this week.