Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lobo Amor

Lobos lose to TTU at home

That's Tennessee Tech of the Ohio Valley conference 104 - 96. Lobos were out rebounded, out hustled, and flat out coached. Lobos twice had a 14 point first half lead only lose with poor transition defense and sloppy cross-court passes that ended up being 49 fastbreak points for TTU. 

Looks like it's going to a long season for Lobo hoops this year if things don't get fixed overnight.

7 minutes ago, toonkee said:

So what's the deal with the Lobos this year? Is not playing defense the strategy or are they just bad at it.  Are they just trying to play fast and outscore? 

Both, even though TTU broke our press with ease coach Weir insisted on playing it the whole game. 

Just got back from the game, and here's my take so far... color me unimpressed with the full court press Weir is TRYING to instill in this team. Its a trapping full court press, but once the other team breaks it (and it proved easy to do so far), it leads to easy baskets for the other side. Easy layups, easy and wide open 3 pt shots. And this team throws the ball away at teh most inopportune times.

This team so far has proved to be a perimeter shooting team only... absolutely NO inside game! Weir said on the post game show, that TT switching to a 1-3-1 and 2-3 zone defense "confused" his guards. Even though we have fast guards, there is little to no dribble drive penetration, and when they do, they through up wild shots underneath that are easliy swatted away or make for easy rebounds for the other team. This team can NOT play 1 on 1 defense very well, and 

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

1 minute ago, LoboMan59 said:

Just got back from the game, and here's my take so far... color me unimpressed with the full court press Weir is TRYING to instill in this team. Its a trapping full court press, but once the other team breaks it (and it proved easy to do so far), it leads to easy baskets for the other side. Easy layups, easy and wide open 3 pt shots. And this team throws the ball away at teh most inopportune times.

This team so far has proved to be a perimeter shooting team only... absolutely NO inside game! Weir said on the post game show, that TT switching to a 1-3-1 and 2-3 zone defense "confused" his guards. Even though we have fast guards, there is little to no dribble drive penetration, and when they do, they through up wild shots underneath that are easliy swatted away or make for easy rebounds for the other team. This team can NOT play 1 on 1 defense very well, and 

Sounds like what Dave Rice wanted to do.  Good luck.

Sorry, pc froze up on me before i could finish my thought on my last posting. Was gonna also say that this team has no inside size or muscle to speak of, so they can't box out very well for rebounds, and are getting beat up by the other teams bigs. TenTech out-rebounded us, shot a higher % from the FT line/in the paint/3pt line. 4 TT players were in double figures with the game high 31 pts from their eagle eye shooters, they shot 55% from 3pt land. Even Weir said, there's a reason why we were picked to finish 9th in the MW. From what I've seen so far, that's being generous. WE will be lucky to finish at or near .500 this season unless something drastically changes.

1. Get rid of the full court trap defense, or at least start your defense at half court.

2. Tighten up zone defense, an get your players to STOP collapsing on the ball  when it gets near the basket, leaving the 3pt line wide open for uncontested shots.

3. Run and gun offense needs to slow down and set up a play every now and then. bombing away from 3pt land can only work so many times, and missed shots lead to long rebounds setting up the other team for their fast break pts the other way. And to many times, one guy gets the rebound, then races up court... by himself, with his teammates trailing.

This team needs a lot of work plain and simple.

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

26 minutes ago, BacksThePack said:

This is why the MWC can't have nice things, we never have the chips to cash out.

Speaking of nice things, the MW Network/Stadium broadcast was horrible the audio was 12 seconds slow to the video (I timed it throughout the game) and the replay on every made basket interrupts the flow of watching the game.

8 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

Sorry, pc froze up on me before i could finish my thought on my last posting. Was gonna also say that this team has no inside size or muscle to speak of, so they can't box out very well for rebounds, and are getting beat up by the other teams bigs. TenTech out-rebounded us, shot a higher % from the FT line/in the paint/3pt line. 4 TT players were in double figures with the game high 31 pts from their eagle eye shooters, they shot 55% from 3pt land. Even Weir said, there's a reason why we were picked to finish 9th in the MW. From what I've seen so far, that's being generous. WE will be lucky to finish at or near .500 this season unless something drastically changes.

1. Get rid of the full court trap defense, or at least start your defense at half court.

2. Tighten up zone defense, an get your players to STOP collapsing on the ball  when it gets near the basket, leaving the 3pt line wide open for uncontested shots.

3. Run and gun offense needs to slow down and set up a play every now and then. bombing away from 3pt land can only work so many times, and missed shots lead to long rebounds setting up the other team for their fast break pts the other way. And to many times, one guy gets the rebound, then races up court... by himself, with his teammates trailing.

This team needs a lot of work plain and simple.

Our lazy/sloppy/predictable cross-court passes did us in more than anything, they should have been counted as assists with all the points TTU scored off of them.

7 hours ago, Lobo Amor said:

Speaking of nice things, the MW Network/Stadium broadcast was horrible the audio was 12 seconds slow to the video (I timed it throughout the game) and the replay on every made basket interrupts the flow of watching the game.

You could always have the Caymen Classic feed.

Bottom line....this team will be at or near the bottom of the MWC pack for the next couple of years. Those that thought there would be an immediate improvement in "coaching" once Craig Neal was gone, are very much mistaken. Lobo Amor is right, the last two games, our new boy scout coach has been out-coached badly. Just like the team, he'll need to grow into his roll here also.

I decided that once the coaching change was made, I was not going to get to follow, but not get emotionally invested in Lobo basketball for a while. I will pick and choose individual games to attend here and there. And from the looks of a half empty arena last night, there are lots of "non emotionally invested" folks around here as well. The student section in particular was embarrassingly small. Even with free, no waiting entry set up for them, and the offer of free pizza while attending the game, they did not show up... free pizza and still nothing??? That's bad! LOL