Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

badfish

Congrats to Armani Rodgers for winning OPOW!

20 minutes ago, badfish said:

It's a tradeoff. Overall, yes, it hurts Recruiting playing in an "empty" giant stadium with poor atmosphere. However, recruits have said they like playing in an NFL stadium too. Long term, the NFL/NHL will really hurt UNLV.

No one likes playing at Qualcomm. Unless you’re into designer tarps or some shit. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

3 minutes ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

No one likes playing at Qualcomm. Unless you’re into designer tarps or some shit. 

Playing in Qualcomm won't last forever, but you being stuck in Fresno will.

10 hours ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

At least our city supports and loves sports. San Diego on the other hand.... worst sports city in the country. 

I don't disagree. Have you been here? We're probably 50% transplants/military, and there's too much else to do every day than just sports. I'm glad you're not 1-11 anymore though, your town desperately needs something to be proud of. 

Man I really don't understand the logic of people who say the Raiders coming to town and UNLV playing in their stadium is going to kill the program. Almost seems like projected wishful thinking.

Hello! This program has been the walking dead for 50+ years! You can't kill something that's already dead! You think those 12,000 diehards are just going to quit going all of the sudden? Why would they? They've suffered bad football for decades and have never left. If they've floated the program this long, they're determined to never see it go.

If anything, bringing the games to a new venue, closer to the school, with the addition of a practice facility and even marginal increases in on field talent and wins (like 4-6 a year instead of 2-3) will ensure UNLV football is here to stay.

As I said, if it aint happened yet, it's never going to happen.

Viva bad football!

31 minutes ago, badfish said:

I don't disagree. Have you been here? We're probably 50% transplants/military, and there's too much else to do every day than just sports. I'm glad you're not 1-11 anymore though, your town desperately needs something to be proud of. 

Yeah. Because feeding 70% of the country isn’t something to be proud of. Rather be known for hepatitis, drunken military fights at gaslamp, fake knockers, and fake blondes. 

Guest RoscoesDad
1 hour ago, RedheadRebel said:

Man I really don't understand the logic of people who say the Raiders coming to town and UNLV playing in their stadium is going to kill the program. Almost seems like projected wishful thinking.

Hello! This program has been the walking dead for 50+ years! You can't kill something that's already dead! You think those 12,000 diehards are just going to quit going all of the sudden? Why would they? They've suffered bad football for decades and have never left. If they've floated the program this long, they're determined to never see it go.

If anything, bringing the games to a new venue, closer to the school, with the addition of a practice facility and even marginal increases in on field talent and wins (like 4-6 a year instead of 2-3) will ensure UNLV football is here to stay.

Viva bad football!

At first I thought they were just trolling, but I actually do think they are THAT dumb and believe what they say.  They obviously don't have any grasp on the fans or the program, yet remain convinced they know more than people who have lived and breathed shitty UNLV football for 20+ years.   Personaly, I think there is a bit of jealousy seeing a program that's been tradtionally bad, all of a sudden get to play in a brand new state of the art stadium on the strip.  If I was a fan of a better MWC football program, I'd probably be a little salty too.  So...anything they can do to shit all over our little party with the new stadium, is what they are going to do.

1 hour ago, RoscoesDad said:

At first I thought they were just trolling, but I actually do think they are THAT dumb and believe what they say.  They obviously don't have any grasp on the fans or the program, yet remain convinced they know more than people who have lived and breathed shitty UNLV football for 20+ years.   Personaly, I think there is a bit of jealousy seeing a program that's been tradtionally bad, all of a sudden get to play in a brand new state of the art stadium on the strip.  If I was a fan of a better MWC football program, I'd probably be a little salty too.  So...anything they can do to shit all over our little party with the new stadium, is what they are going to do.

A lot of it is just SDSU fans going off their own experiences. Maybe they are right, maybe not. It will be years (decades?) until we can tell for sure. I don't think both situations are identical. I think it will be an improvement for UNLV, but not as big of and improvement as fans hope. I also don't think it is the golden ticket to the P5 either.

@Wyovanian gave us 10 years after the stadium opens, so we can enjoy rebel football until 2031. I will be able to retire that year, so at least I will have more disposable income without having to buy season tickets and more travel time from Sep thru Nov when hoops starts. B)

2 hours ago, RoscoesDad said:

It's people speaking from experience.  You already got a taste with the groundbreaking ceremony and not a UNLV logo in sight...

3 hours ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

Yeah. Because feeding 70% of the country isn’t something to be proud of. Rather be known for hepatitis, drunken military fights at gaslamp, fake knockers, and fake blondes. 

Because that's what Fresno is known for...

14 hours ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

At least our city supports and loves sports. San Diego on the other hand.... worst sports city in the country. 

Lol, based on what?  That great NFL...er MLB...er NBA...er...

3 hours ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

Feeding 70% of the country's meth maybe. To anyone outside of the valley, Fresno is known as the armpit of America. But hey, at least you got this MWC championship game to hang your hat on.

4 minutes ago, badfish said:

Feeding 70% of the country's meth maybe. To anyone outside of the valley, Fresno is known as the armpit of America. But hey, at least you got this MWC championship game to hang your hat on.

Just remember to thank Fresno when you take your lunch break today. Screw that thanking Jesus BS. Thank the real people who grew your food. 

12 hours ago, RedheadRebel said:

Viva bad football!

Image result for what is dead may never die

10 hours ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

Just remember to thank Fresno when you take your lunch break today. Screw that thanking Jesus BS. Thank the real people who grew your food. 

I thought those were mostly soccer fans...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes