Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Nevada Helmets vs UNLV

2 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

The board op? What not say mugtang? 

:shrug:

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

In all seriousness, yes the south refusing to acknowledge the name Nevada is a bit childish...however you didn't try to brand yourself as Nevada until the mid 90's? and no, pre-1950 is too far back to worry about. Obviously many of us were around those days and your were always U.N.R. in our lifetime. The move, in part, was a way to take back some status after you were subjugated to legally being our "sister" university so you'd have to expect to take some shit for being elitist.  I would say the whole thing would die down faster if you weren't constantly rubbing our noses in it with the state flag and state symbolism, but whatever, you are entitled to the moniker and if you think this helps with school branding and recognition well then I guess that's what you should do.    

FUNR

59 minutes ago, toonkee said:

In all seriousness, yes the south refusing to acknowledge the name Nevada is a bit childish...however you didn't try to brand yourself as Nevada until the mid 90's? and no, pre-1950 is too far back to worry about. Obviously many of us were around those days and your were always Nevada in our lifetime. The move, in part, was a way to take back some status after you were subjugated to legally being our "sister" university so you'd have to expect to take some shit for being elitist.  I would say the whole thing would die down faster if you weren't constantly rubbing our noses in it with the state flag and state symbolism, but whatever, you are entitled to the moniker and if you think this helps with school branding and recognition well then I guess that's what you should do.    

FUNR

You know, that didn't really start until a couple of years ago. Long after UNLV coaches and media refused to use "Nevada" to describe the Wolf Pack.

4 hours ago, Gator 82 said:

I wouldn't say you guys represent the state considering Clark County represents 2/3 of the population of Nevada. I do like the helmets though, would look great with an all black uni 

We have more students from Clark County than anywhere else in Nevada. We're the flagship state u, that attracts students from the whole state. UNLV is mostly commuters from Las Vegas. There's nothing wrong with that particularly since many of your fans are ashamed of the state, and only associate with the city. 

2 hours ago, toonkee said:

In all seriousness, yes the south refusing to acknowledge the name Nevada is a bit childish...however you didn't try to brand yourself as Nevada until the mid 90's? and no, pre-1950 is too far back to worry about. Obviously many of us were around those days and your were always Nevada in our lifetime. The move, in part, was a way to take back some status after you were subjugated to legally being our "sister" university so you'd have to expect to take some shit for being elitist.  I would say the whole thing would die down faster if you weren't constantly rubbing our noses in it with the state flag and state symbolism, but whatever, you are entitled to the moniker and if you think this helps with school branding and recognition well then I guess that's what you should do.    

FUNR

Pre-50s UNLV didn’t exist so that’s BS. Nevada Southern was a branch campus during the 50s. UNLV name didn’t exist until ’69. When Ault took over the program and especially when he became AD in mid 80s did it gain traction as he and AD emeritus Dick Tracok played for the Wolf Pack. Nevada had a branding update in late 80s dropping the hyphen, adding the coma, and referring to itself as Nevada as it had since sports where founded in late 1890s . The reason was the move of all sports to D1 in 92. 

Plus I won’t even mention the fact that every single university system in the country does it this way. That seems to be lost on Vegas fans. You folks change your name, your mascots, school paper name, have Las Vegas in your unis and field and no one cares. Hell, most of you folks refer to the rest of the state negatively. Not sure why any of you care. 

3 hours ago, toonkee said:

FUNR

Typical Vegas education.  FUNR is correctly spelled as FUNNER.

1 hour ago, toonkee said:

FUNR

So says a fan of the school established in the late 1960's. And there is the difference....no sense of tradition because there is none. We tend to believe that the history from 1874 to 1969 matters. 

2 hours ago, bigd said:

We have more students from Clark County than anywhere else in Nevada. We're the flagship state u, that attracts students from the whole state. UNLV is mostly commuters from Las Vegas. There's nothing wrong with that particularly since many of your fans are ashamed of the state, and only associate with the city. 

No shyt. There's 9 people outside of Clark.

Just now, toonkee said:

You mongrel barbarian hicks missed my point entirely. 

Sorry, can you send it in smoke signals or maybe chisel it into a rock tablet?  Thanks. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

Sorry, can you send it in smoke signals or maybe chisel it into a rock tablet?  Thanks. 

Maybe monkey sign language...I'll brush up.

One more time...I was saying you guys have the right to call yourselves Nevada but you should also be able to understand that it's reasonable to expect some shit about it since you went by another name, which was the counterpart of ours, for quite a while.  

I'll take my response off the air.

Goodnight.

Interesting stats for Vegas fans...

There are A TOTAL of 181 students from Washoe County at UNLV. TOTAL all classes. There are freaking 120 from Illinois.

There are 1,002 from Clark County at Nevada in the freshman class alone.

Think about that for a second. You people bitch about us calling our university Nevada? LOL.

Just now, toonkee said:

One more time...I was saying you guys have the right to call yourselves Nevada but you should also be able to understand that it's reasonable to expect some shit about it since you went by another name, which was the counterpart of ours, for quite a while.  

Goodnight.

For quite a while?

UNLV was Nevada Southern from 1954 - 1969 / UNLV from 1969 to Present

Nevada was Nevada from 1874 - 1969 / UNR from 1969 to mid-80s / Nevada since.

I would agree it has every right to call itself whatever it wants.

7 minutes ago, toonkee said:

You mongrel barbarian hicks missed my point entirely. 

I think you're missing your own point. It isn't uncommon for the original land grant university to tie in to the state flag, state animal or the state motto. Cal Bears, Maryland has heavy tie ins to the flag, Iowa Hawkeyes, Colorado Buffs, Indiana Hoosiers....this certainly isn't a first. And, UNLV purposely went with the rebel nickname to go against Nevada (the school). You guys sort of made your own bed on this one, so I'm not sure how the north embracing that which the south made an effort to distance itself from is rubbing your face in anything. You do your thing, we'll do ours. 

7 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Goodnight.

You guys went by another name too, did you not? 

5 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Goodnight.

That’s reasonable. I got what you were trying to say.  Personally I don’t care what unlv fans call us.  It’s part of the rivalry.  But what I do take issue with is LV media not calling our sports teams Nevada.  I think that’s unprofessional. 

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

That’s reasonable. I got what you were trying to say.  Personally I don’t care what unlv fans call us.  It’s part of the rivalry.  But what I do take issue with is LV media not calling our sports teams Nevada.  I think that’s unprofessional. 

It's fairly comical too. What I don't understand is this recent development of the move to embrace the name and flag is rubbing their noses in it. That's puzzling. And serendipitous. 

37 minutes ago, toonkee said:

No shyt. There's 9 people outside of Clark.

The Reno Carson area has more than half a million people. Not huge, but Not insignificant either. My point was more that we attract students from every part of the state. UNLV is mostly commuters from Vegas.