Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Audiobooks

Between family, work, and school, I have found that I have less and less time these days to sit down and read a book. So I decided to get an Audible subscription and try out audiobooks to listen to during my commute, since it's 30-40 minutes now as compared to 10 at my last job. I'm really enjoying it so far, and I've only gotten through 3/4 of one book in the last few weeks since I started. It made air travel go really quickly last week as well. 

I strongly recommend it for people who can't sit down and read a book for an extended period of time, but who spend a lot of time in their cars, public transportation, or flying.

I listened to quite a few audiobooks while commuting in Boston traffic. It was the only thing that kept me from going insane on Route 128 as there's only so much music one can listen to and the sports shows there are 75% focused on the gottdamm Patriots. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

I started listening to audiobooks about 7 years ago when I stocked shelves at Walmart.  I rarely pick up a physical book nowadays.  I don't know how many books I have read since then, but it is a ton more than I ever would have with physical books. I listen while I do chores, while I drive, when I ride the bus, when I walk around town or campus, or whatever.  I don't know about getting subscriptions, at least paid ones, but if you have a library account, check to see if your library uses Overdrive.  They put up a ton of books that you can check out and listen to by downloading onto your computer and transferring to your phone.  I have spent the last 7 years going to the library, grabbing the cds for whatever book I wanted to listen to, take it home, rip it onto my computer, transfer the files to my phone, then delete the files when I was done.  Is it legal?  Probably not, but I delete everything when I'm done. It can be really hard to listen to some of the bigger books fast enough before the renewal runs out.  If I really like the book, I will go out and buy it.  I've read most of Tom Clancy's books, all of the Wheel of Time series, a bunch of the classics (Don Quixote, Anna Karenena, War and Peace, Count of Monte Cristo, 3 Musketeers, Les Mis, and others), and I'm currently listening the Enders Game series.  I highly recommend audio books.  It is the best way to go in my opinion.

Also, for those of you whole like to learn languages, I picked up all the Pimsleur Programs I could from the library and started learning languages.  I have learned Russian, Italian, Norwegian, some Portuguese, and a little bit of Japanese.  It is great. 

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

l.jpg

1 hour ago, Naggsty Butler said:

I started listening to audiobooks about 7 years ago when I stocked shelves at Walmart.  I rarely pick up a physical book nowadays.  I don't know how many books I have read since then, but it is a ton more than I ever would have with physical books. I listen while I do chores, while I drive, when I ride the bus, when I walk around town or campus, or whatever.  I don't know about getting subscriptions, at least paid ones, but if you have a library account, check to see if your library uses Overdrive.  They put up a ton of books that you can check out and listen to by downloading onto your computer and transferring to your phone.  I have spent the last 7 years going to the library, grabbing the cds for whatever book I wanted to listen to, take it home, rip it onto my computer, transfer the files to my phone, then delete the files when I was done.  Is it legal?  Probably not, but I delete everything when I'm done. It can be really hard to listen to some of the bigger books fast enough before the renewal runs out.  If I really like the book, I will go out and buy it.  I've read most of Tom Clancy's books, all of the Wheel of Time series, a bunch of the classics (Don Quixote, Anna Karenena, War and Peace, Count of Monte Cristo, 3 Musketeers, Les Mis, and others), and I'm currently listening the Enders Game series.  I highly recommend audio books.  It is the best way to go in my opinion.

Also, for those of you whole like to learn languages, I picked up all the Pimsleur Programs I could from the library and started learning languages.  I have learned Russian, Italian, Norwegian, some Portuguese, and a little bit of Japanese.  It is great. 

Jesus Good Will Huntng, 6 languages is impressive. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 hour ago, Naggsty Butler said:

Big thumbs up for reading the Wheel of Time. Also... even partial mastery of six languages is beyond impressive. I might have to look into that. 

I love audio-books - I think I'm addicted.  I've read or listened to 80 books so far this year.  I often do that instead of watching TV.  I'll have to look into the language ones - work on my Spanish skills.

God is a Cowboy

WYO.jpg

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Jesus Good Will Huntng, 6 languages is impressive. 

I don't claim to be fluent or even understandable in any of those languages, the only one I would really even say I can understand anything in is Russian, but I know a few phrases in the others.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

l.jpg

15 hours ago, Naggsty Butler said:

I don't claim to be fluent or even understandable in any of those languages, the only one I would really even say I can understand anything in is Russian, but I know a few phrases in the others.

The real question is how many languages can you cuss in (fluently)

God is a Cowboy

WYO.jpg

On 11/20/2017 at 3:51 PM, retrofade said:

I actually finished the first book while I was driving home from work today. I'm looking forward to starting the next one tomorrow.... Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson.

I actually just grabbed a random Brandon Sanderson audiobook because I heard he was good. Just finished Bands of Mourning today. Very enjoyable even though I had no idea what was going on a lot of the time :)

Just now, Stealthlobo said:

I actually just grabbed a random Brandon Sanderson audiobook because I heard he was good. Just finished Bands of Mourning today. Very enjoyable even though I had no idea what was going on a lot of the time :)

Sanderson is an incredible fantasy author. I got into reading his stuff after he was announced as the author to finish the Wheel of Time series after Robert Jordan passed away. I've been hooked ever since... and George R.R. Martin could take a cue from him on how to write a book more often than every 7-8 years. Sanderson puts out great quality works at least once a year, with epics just like the ASOIAF series every 2-3 years. 

On 11/21/2017 at 7:07 PM, Stealthlobo said:

Holy hell dude that's the third book in the second segment of a planned 14 book series!

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

5 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Holy hell dude that's the third book in the second segment of a planned 14 book series!

Yep... though I think it's a planned ten book series, unless he's changed his mind again. It's something that he began conceiving over 20 years ago, and is part of his larger Cosmere universe, where the majority of his book universes reside. 

5 minutes ago, retrofade said:

Yep... though I think it's a planned ten book series, unless he's changed his mind again. It's something that he began conceiving over 20 years ago, and is part of his larger Cosmere universe, where the majority of his book universes reside. 

I thought it was originally ten as the wax and wayne books were not originally planned.

Where do you think hoid is from?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

17 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I thought it was originally ten as the wax and wayne books were not originally planned.

Where do you think hoid is from?

The Wax and Wayne books are Mistborn, not Stormlight. I suppose you can count the Edgedancer as an unofficial 11th book in the Stormlight series though. You're right about Wax and Wayne, it was supposed to be a bridge stand-alone book in-between the first Mistborn trilogy and his planned second "contemporary" series, and then he ended up writing four books in that series instead. 

I thought that Hoid was a physical manifestation of Adonalsium post-Shattering, but what has come out about Brandon's Dragonsteel manuscripts from his Masters Thesis makes that unlikely. What is assumed, though not officially canon, is that Hoid is from Yolen, where the Shattering took place. He was also supposedly offered one of the shards of Adonalsium, but he turned it down. It'll likely be a long time before we have an idea of who Hoid exactly is, since Dragonsteel is supposed to be his final works in the Cosmere, as things stand right now anyway. 

4 minutes ago, retrofade said:

The Wax and Wayne books are Mistborn, not Stormlight. I suppose you can count the Edgedancer as an unofficial 11th book in the Stormlight series. 

I thought that Hoid was a physical manifestation of Adonalsium post-Shattering, but what has come out about Brandon's Dragonsteel manuscripts from his Masters Thesis makes that unlikely. What is assumed, though not officially canon, is that Hoid is from Yolen, where the Shattering took place. It'll likely be a long time before we have an idea of who Hoid exactly is, since Dragonsteel is supposed to be his final works in the Cosmere, as things stand right now anyway. 

Bands of mourning is mistborn though.

Hoid reminds me of a planeswalker from magic, but based ok on the sixth of dusk, he could just be zipping from star to star in a spaceship

1 minute ago, happycamper said:

Bands of mourning is mistborn though.

Hoid reminds me of a planeswalker from magic, but based ok on the sixth of dusk, he could just be zipping from star to star in a spaceship

He travels between the different Cosmere worlds through Shadesmar, which is the shared cognitive realm, and also where the spren from Roshar (Stormlight) reside. I think that Hoid is integral to the side-story of the Seventeenth Shard that's mentioned "The Letter" in the epigraph of Part II of Way of Kings. I think that Hoid is likely the author of that letter as well. 

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

Ya... I didn't really do much research beforehand. I just read he was a popular author and son grabbed a random audiobook out of the library. The while lore was confusing, but the characters were great! Makes me definitely want to start the series now

6 minutes ago, Stealthlobo said:

Ya... I didn't really do much research beforehand. I just read he was a popular author and son grabbed a random audiobook out of the library. The while lore was confusing, but the characters were great! Makes me definitely want to start the series now

Everything Sanderson does is gold AND he is actually prolific!