Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

What is it with these "family values" types? Another Trumpster goes down.

This is why it was a bad call for the GOP to try and be the party of morality. The religious right has done more to destroy this country than any other group in my lifetime. I know that's hyperbole, but it's how it seems a lot of the time. 

Shortey was swept into office as part of the 2010 Tea Party flood, and he’s done everything he could to fit in with that crew. He loves guns (and argued in favor of open carry legislation because, and I quote, “You will know the fear that a [wild] turkey can invoke in a person”). He abhors nearly everything about immigrants (earning him the admiration and endorsement of Joe Arpaio). He is a Birther, pushing for a state law that would require Presidential candidates to present a valid long-form birth certificatebefore their name could appear on the Oklahoma ballot. And he’s so well-liked that Dog The Bounty Hunter himself hosted a fundraiser for Shortey’s 2014 reelection.

Here he is with Butthead the day after he was arrested in the hotel with the teenage boy.

IMG_1132.PNG

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

21 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

al franken

healthcare - I got mine, America needs theirs dismantled.

Taxes - Gots to make sure myself, my friends and family are taken care of first

Women's Uteri - I like the attached passage, but I feel the need to dictate what happens in there.

Etc.

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

38 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

healthcare - I got mine, America needs theirs dismantled.

Taxes - Gots to make sure myself, my friends and family are taken care of first

Women's Uteri - I like the attached passage, but I feel the need to dictate what happens in there.

Etc.

i think your distaste for conservative politics colors your thinking.

2 hours ago, retrofade said:

This is why it was a bad call for the GOP to try and be the party of morality. The religious right has done more to destroy this country than any other group in my lifetime. I know that's hyperbole, but it's how it seems a lot of the time. 

Just imagine if the GOP would have went the Barry Goldwater direction rather than the Jerry Falwell direction ... 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

Always the people that are holier than thou with the most to hide. Shocked that another "family values" someone is playing hide the sausage with someone they supposedly deplore.

While there are a lot of things with the GOP that I like...their support of the "family values" types and religious nuts has always rubbed me the wrong way, and is a reason I could never vote for them.

Where have you gone Richard Nixon? A lonely nation sets its eyes on you. 

7 minutes ago, 406WarriorFan said:

Always the people that are holier than thou with the most to hide. Shocked that another "family values" someone is playing hide the sausage with someone they supposedly deplore.

While there are a lot of things with the GOP that I like...their support of the "family values" types and religious nuts has always rubbed me the wrong way, and is a reason I could never vote for them.

Where have you gone Richard Nixon? A lonely nation sets its eyes on you. 

No kidding. That is why I have no internet in legislating morality. It is obvious that leaders set a different standard between what they vote for and what they do. There may be a few sincere guys but they seem buried by the opportunists.

Besides... Morality is often its own reward. Keeping inmoral stuff legal just puts it in the clear instead of hiding.

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 minute ago, happycamper said:

No kidding. That is why I have no internet in legislating morality. It is obvious that leaders set a different standard between what they vote for and what they do. There may be a few sincere guys but they seem buried by the opportunists.

Besides... Morality is often its own reward. Keeping inmoral stuff legal just puts it in the clear instead of hiding.

Of course. The government has no business in this type of stuff. 

Rape, Murder, Robbery, Molestation, etc...this should be stuff the gov't should be concerned with...not prostitution, gay marriage, marijuana, etc.

42 minutes ago, 406WarriorFan said:

Of course. The government has no business in this type of stuff. 

Rape, Murder, Robbery, Molestation, etc...this should be stuff the gov't should be concerned with...not prostitution, gay marriage, marijuana, etc.

7W6GwsD.jpg

5 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

I don't think Franken ever claimed to be a religious or moral authority. 

religiously?  no.  you are very much correct on that point.  but everyone claims their moral authority.  the left is very much about being on the right side of history and doing the right thing when it comes to social issues -- many times i find myself in agreement.  sometimes not at all.  so yes, franken by his very nature of arguing for policy on the basis of what is good and right makes himself a moral authority.  and there's nothing wrong with that.  i'm not even mad at him for any kind of hypocrisy.  i'm just mad at him for groping women.

the more salient point is the american right's - ahem - "relationship" with the american Christian evangelical base rather than this jackass being an artifact of american conservative politics.  that's why i took issue with Boise Fan's post.  I think that 'relationship' is fairly subject to criticism and not the american political right in general.

wildly unpopular opinion:

i don't think gambling, prostitution, drug use, etc...  are 'victimless' acts.  even as a legal practice, alcohol use easily becomes abuse all too often.  not that I'm advocating for prohibition or a puritan like style of social norms sand values, but let's not pretend there's no negative consequences attached to those recreational activities.

3 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

wildly unpopular opinion:

i don't think gambling, prostitution, drug use, etc...  are 'victimless' acts.  even as a legal practice, alcohol use easily becomes abuse all too often.  not that I'm advocating for prohibition or a puritan like style of social norms sand values, but let's not pretend there's no negative consequences attached to those recreational activities.

Counterpoint:

Alcohol use becomes abuse often, sure, but something like 90% of users drink a beer with their dinner and that's it. No more story. 

The issue for me is when criminalizing something creates more victims than having it be legal, regulated, and, frankly, bound by culture and custom instead of law. I don't think it is a stretch to say that our laws for prostitution and drug use are there. I do not gamble, I do not see the point of it, and in fact the closest I have ever come is getting 3rd place in the NCAA tournament bracket on this website, winning me... I think a 50 buck target gift card (niiiiice, thanks Mug). So... I don't see any point to gambling, I would like a law that makes it illegal to accept borrowed money, as the establishment, for gambling. Have them have the onus of proof. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

4 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Counterpoint:

Alcohol use becomes abuse often, sure, but something like 90% of users drink a beer with their dinner and that's it. No more story. 

Counter-counterpoint:

90% of those claiming to enjoy "a beer/a glass of wine" with dinner actually drink a lot more than that. You point is still correct, of course. There is nothing wrong with enjoying the psychoactive effects of alcohol to varying degrees (i.e. getting buzzed or sloshed) as long as your actions don't hurt anyone. 

6 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Counterpoint:

The issue for me is when criminalizing something creates more victims than having it be legal, regulated, and, frankly, bound by culture and custom instead of law. I don't think it is a stretch to say that our laws for prostitution and drug use are there. I do not gamble, I do not see the point of it, and in fact the closest I have ever come is getting 3rd place in the NCAA tournament bracket on this website, winning me... I think a 50 buck target gift card (niiiiice, thanks Mug). So... I don't see any point to gambling, I would like a law that makes it illegal to accept borrowed money, as the establishment, for gambling. Have them have the onus of proof. 

oh for sure.  it doesn't even have to be 90% for your point to still stand.  sometimes people just want to smoke a joint.  sometimes people just want a beer.  sometimes UNLV fans just want to get laid...