Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bigd

The bowl selection process will be absolutely crazy this year

There will be so many open spots, as many conferences don't have enough teams to fill theirs. However, both the MW and Pac 12 will have 2-3 extra teams. Different projections have members of our conference getting invites to the Frisco, Quick Lane, Cure, and Saint Petersburg. I just hope they're able to create some good matchups. Due to our geography our tie-ins are mostly limited to our home stadiums, so it will be nice to get some variety. Hopefully we don't get screwed like always.

11 hours ago, bigd said:

There will be so many open spots, as many conferences don't have enough teams to fill theirs. However, both the MW and Pac 12 will have 2-3 extra teams. Different projections have members of our conference getting invites to the Frisco, Quick Lane, Cure, and Saint Petersburg. I just hope they're able to create some good matchups. Due to our geography our tie-ins are mostly limited to our home stadiums, so it will be nice to get some variety. Hopefully we don't get screwed like always.

Two words: Craig Thompson

11 hours ago, bigd said:

You mean like paring up Nevada vs CSU in a freaking bowl game. 

11 hours ago, Spot50B said:

I don't think there are going to be more open spots than the past few years.  It is possible that there will be more eligible teams than bowl spots this year, meaning a few teams might stay home.

Yes, from what I’m seeing there will be 9 teams vying for 3 open spots. Unless there are several losses within those 9 teams, UNLV will not bowl with 6 wins. 

23 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Yes, from what I’m seeing there will be 9 teams vying for 3 open spots. Unless there are several losses within those 9 teams, UNLV will not bowl with 6 wins. 

I do not think this is accurate. As of now, there are 62 Bowl Eligible teams. There are another 11 that can become Bowl Eligible with a win this week or next (some play each other, so I did not count those). There are another few that are 4-6 and have an outside chance. If this is the case, every 6-6 team will get a bowl game. The NCAA change the rule a few years ago. 6-6 teams have to get in in front of 5-7 teams, regardless of conference affiliation.

Right now, there are 70 Bowl Eligible teams, which gives us 8 slots left. There are 18 teams with 5 wins already, and eight of those teams go head to head, which means we're at a minimum of 74/78 full. Then you have Florida State who is sitting at 4-6 with two games left to play after their game with ULM was rescheduled for championship week. That leaves us with a likely 11 teams battling it out for four open slots. 

17 minutes ago, bigd said:

I'd also love to see Fresno play Cal somewhere, let Tedford get some revenge.

There would probably be more than a little satisfaction from some of the players "recruited" by DeRuyter as they stomped all over Cal.

Just now, AZdogFan said:

There would probably be more than a little satisfaction from some of the players "recruited" by DeRuyter as they stomped all over Cal.

Yeah it would be an awesome game whether it happens in Vegas or Hawaii.

40 minutes ago, bigd said:

I'd also love to see Fresno play Cal somewhere, let Tedford get some revenge.

Me too...but Cal would have to beat a HC-less UCLA team on-the-road to become bowl eligible.  

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Fresno vs. Boise in the Las Vegas Bowl.

Best two out of three.

And while they're at it they can just reschedule the bowl for December 9th. Because if there's anything better than playing the same team twice in the same season it's playing the same team three times in the span of three weeks.

On the upside that's three different trophies to play for.

3 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

Boise vs Oregon in Vegas is the latest prediction. That would be a lotta fun.

i just hope we don't get the hawaii bowl.  it's cursed.

SI has us in the NM bowl against UTSA.  I'd take that.   

Just now, Rofl_copter_dos said:

i just hope we don't get the hawaii bowl.  it's cursed.

SI has us in the NM bowl against UTSA.  I'd take that.   

You’re like that dude in The Mummy always saying “it’s cursed”.

you are correct though, it’s always like that Brady bunch two part episode over there for the Dogs.