Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

15csu2014

Streaming Sports

7 hours ago, Akkula said:

I sidetracked this issue because my argument is Geo Restrictions are bull crap if you are willing to pay for the content.  This issue probably only impacts a few people on this board who spend time outside of the USA.

With our crappy TV contract there are very few ways that MWC sports fans can actually view games.  CBS Sports is now on a few different online streaming platforms but you usually have to "fake" your location in order to access them....and there is no other option.  

Microsoft is good with not geo restricting and NFL has gamepass but some services won't let you even pay to subscribe outside of the USA.  I don't suspect that many of you will care since it doesn't impact you but it is kinda crappy for people living overseas who want to watch their school play.  That is why I am hitting BSUTOP25 because he has to do the same thing we all have to do....

In my original post I simply brought up why content is geoblocked and said it will likely change soon as the ecosystem is evolving — then you went off on an idiotic rant about how evil service providers are. God, you’re really ridiculous sometimes Akkula. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

The moral of the story regarding geoblocking ... the policy/practice is:

• Archaic and annoying and certain to change in the near future
  • Designed to satisfy advertisers for revenue while maintaining strict control over copyrighted material for producers and artists 
  • NOT by any measure anti-democratic, unfair, or somehow racist

The slow evolution is starting to happen in Europe and it will happen elsewhere as well:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/08/europe-agrees-to-end-geoblocks-on-travelers-digital-subscriptions-by-2018/

As technology and consumer preferences continue to advance and change, the digital subscription models will become far more robust in delivering content to mobile users. The problem being that the current advertising models are largely based on advertisers sponsoring a certain program, time slot, and domestic account-based geography rather than where the user may physically be on their computer or mobile devise. This disruptive environment has happened so quickly that it's taking service providers and advertisers a while to catch up. This issue is far more complex than simply saying that service providers are mean and hate people. 

53 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

The moral of the story regarding geoblocking ... the policy/practice is:

• Archaic and annoying and certain to change in the near future
  • Designed to satisfy advertisers for revenue while maintaining strict control over copyrighted material for producers and artists 
  • NOT by any measure anti-democratic, unfair, or somehow racist

The slow evolution is starting to happen in Europe and it will happen elsewhere as well:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/02/08/europe-agrees-to-end-geoblocks-on-travelers-digital-subscriptions-by-2018/

As technology and consumer preferences continue to advance and change, the digital subscription models will become far more robust in delivering content to mobile users. The problem being that the current advertising models are largely based on advertisers sponsoring a certain program, time slot, and domestic account-based geography rather than where the user may physically be on their computer or mobile devise. This disruptive environment has happened so quickly that it's taking service providers and advertisers a while to catch up. This issue is far more complex than simply saying that service providers are mean and hate people. 

No but it is a good example of how the system is "rigged" in favor of established interests.  What is the purpose of geo restrictions other than to allow for price discrimination?  Monopolists/cartels restrict supply to raise the price and this is a legal way for them to do it.  If the "anti -business" Sherman anti-trust act would have been written today these types of things probably would have been outlawed.  If nobody complains about them then things will never change.  

As Trump is on the cusp of removing net neutrality to rig the systems in favor of the owners of the means of distributions, I am sure we will see more monopolistic practices designed to raise the price of content or laws designed restrict choice or penalize the little guy.  When you start to count all the laws that are setup to restrict choice and artificially raise prices for various products the crony capitalism starts to take a real toll on the average consumer after a while with all of these special deals and laws written to protect the big boys.   Then with all the monopoly profit the big boys will complain that their taxes are too high/they pay too much of the burden while others pay to little and they are makers and everyone else are takers while proceeding to outsource jobs to the cheapest location. 

Posted Image

1 minute ago, BSUTOP25 said:

:facepalm:

I guess you prefer the current system in Russia where the government gave away the farm to billionaire oligarchs who have to kiss Putin's ring to keep up their crooked deals.  If you want to get into hyperbole we can...

Posted Image

1 minute ago, Akkula said:

I guess you prefer the current system in Russia where the government gave away the farm to billionaire oligarchs who have to kiss Putin's ring to keep up their crooked deals.  If you want to get into hyperbole we can...

You are the master at hyperbole with all your accusations of racism, misogyny, homophobia, anti-children, anti-puppy, and whatever other crap you throw out there to demonize anyone those who think profit and/or individualism isn't evil. I'm starting to wonder if "CSU" really stands for communist state utopia. 

Special tax deals, special legal restrictions in the real estate/medical/entertainment/others, tax holidays, estate tax repeals, all serve to help preserve the monopoly pricing power of the powerful or reinforce their power.  We should be striving for perfectly competitive markets as much as possible instead of allowing monopoly profiteering.  These entrenched interests love monopoly pricing power when they are the sellers but want perfect competition when it comes to purchasing labor...they don't want any restrictions there to artificially raise prices.  The net impact is the consumers/wage earners end up having to pay artificially higher prices and have their wages cut at the same time. 

Posted Image

3 minutes ago, Akkula said:

Special tax deals, special legal restrictions in the real estate/medical/entertainment/others, tax holidays, estate tax repeals, all serve to help preserve the monopoly pricing power of the powerful or reinforce their power.  We should be striving for perfectly competitive markets as much as possible instead of allowing monopoly profiteering.  These entrenched interests love monopoly pricing power when they are the sellers but want perfect competition when it comes to purchasing labor...they don't want any restrictions there to artificially raise prices.  The net impact is the consumers/wage earners end up having to pay artificially higher prices and have their wages cut at the same time. 

That's awesome man. Now why don't you explain to us in detail how North Korea, Cuba, Laos, China, etc. all offer far better content and distribution than the evil, anti-people providers in the US do. 

4 hours ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

Not to distract from the political smack down raging but has anyone solved the issue of streaming AT&T Sports Net?

If you live outside the areas in color, you’re in luck. If not, you’re something that rhymes with luck.

RM_Territory.jpg

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

50 minutes ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

I wonder if a VPN that blocks my location would do the trick?

I’m of no help in that area. Don’t have the first clue as to how VPN’s work or how to change them.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

5 hours ago, THEUniversityofNevada said:

Not to distract from the political smack down raging but has anyone solved the issue of streaming AT&T Sports Net?

Yep.

I watch it from Montana all the time.  Download the Opera browser (which has a built in VPN service)  Turn on the VPN in the toolbar and I set the VPN to originate in SIngapore.   i have no problem streaming the games

24 minutes ago, Billings said:

Yep.

I watch it from Montana all the time.  Download the Opera browser (which has a built in VPN service)  Turn on the VPN in the toolbar and I set the VPN to originate in SIngapore.   i have no problem streaming the games

Thanks Billings.

From the map, it doesn't look as though you would have a problem anyway.

19 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Artificially expensive? Get outta here. These broadcasts are so in demand people are willing to commit a crime to view them. They’re probably undervalued. And of course you don’t care, when people steal they never care about who they steal from. They wouldn’t do it otherwise.

Like I said, I probably pirate less than @CPslograd because I tend not to pirate at all. I subscribe to an internet TV service and cancel at the end of the season. And I have never downloaded a movie in my life. I just don't care if other people do. 

It was your analogy and the point remains. In fact, if enough people think stealing from the Safeway is ok, it won’t be there to pay that baker tomorrow. So good job, not only are you robbing him in the past and present, you’re trying to take his future as well.

It’s not just fat cats in corporate offices, pirated streams put hands in the pockets of the cameraman, the girl working they soundboard, the maintenance guy. As you said, +++++ them who cares? They can get new jobs.

Look, this is an ancient tactic. Use the little guy as a human shield to protect the interests of the big guys. It doesn't work that way in real life because most people who stream illegally wouldn't buy the cable package anyways. Unless something has changed dramatically in the recent past, illegal streams aren't exactly a joy to watch. Most people who can afford live sports will be happy to pay as long as prices are reasonable for the convenience and quality a cable package offers.

1 hour ago, renoskier said:

Thanks Billings.

From the map, it doesn't look as though you would have a problem anyway.

Yea i Don't know.  i tried to watch a WYo game earlier this year and was blocked so I did the opera browser and it worked

1 hour ago, Billings said:

Yep.

You rock! Much more helpful than Mugtang or that Lawlor character!!

59 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

Like I said, I probably pirate less than @CPslograd because I tend not to pirate at all. I subscribe to an internet TV service and cancel at the end of the season. And I have never downloaded a movie in my life. I just don't care if other people do. 

Look, this is an ancient tactic. Use the little guy as a human shield to protect the interests of the big guys. It doesn't work that way in real life because most people who stream illegally wouldn't buy the cable package anyways. Unless something has changed dramatically in the recent past, illegal streams aren't exactly a joy to watch. Most people who can afford live sports will be happy to pay as long as prices are reasonable for the convenience and quality a cable package offers.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=kid+rock+steal+everything&view=detail&mid=A677846011F0B9DF9466A677846011F0B9DF9466&FORM=VIRE

7 hours ago, Billings said:

Yep.

Hey, if you're out there.....where the hell do you "turn on the VPN"?

I'm so Homer on this shit:hmmm: