Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

15csu2014

Streaming Sports

4 minutes ago, Akkula said:

Well, there you have it.  If the owner doesn't want to sell it to you for the same price they charge everyone else because of where you live you can't access it.  I am sorry...no Boise State for you!  

I would argue that the seller should sell their content to everyone without discrimination if the person is willing to pay for it.  It seems anti-competitive and anti free market to be able to charge different prices to different customers depending on where they live...but hey...we already do this with medications so why not with this stuff too?

Go ahead and up a cable/sat/stream service company and negotiate with the networks then Akkula. Power to the masses and all that. You got this bro.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

1 minute ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Go ahead and up a cable/sat/stream service company and negotiate with the networks then Akkula. Power to the masses and all that. You got this bro.

Okay...but I want to make sure you are here every 3 minutes on game day asking for a score update with you sanctimony!

Posted Image

Just now, Akkula said:

Okay...but I want to make sure you are here every 3 minutes on game day asking for a score update with you sanctimony!

I'm smart enough to know what to do in order to get content. 

1 minute ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Do a search on VPN services. It will open up quite a few options for you.

Dude, I understand.  But technically this is overriding geo restrictions.

I guess I believe that the very idea is an anti-competitive giveaway that is only designed to allow corporations to maximize profit through price discrimination.  How exactly do geo-restrictions help a "free market" system.  It seems like it just a method for content providers to be able reap monopoly/cartel profits and doesn't do anything to stop piracy.   

Posted Image

2 minutes ago, Akkula said:

Dude, I understand.  But technically this is overriding geo restrictions.

I guess I believe that the very idea is an anti-competitive giveaway that is only designed to allow corporations to maximize profit through price discrimination.  How exactly do geo-restrictions help a "free market" system.  It seems like it just a method for content providers to be able reap monopoly/cartel profits and doesn't do anything to stop piracy.   

1. Nobody is forcing you to use their service.

2. The Walking Dead and Keeping Up with the Kardashians are not life or death necessities. 

3. I imagine Service providers would sell to anyone they could but they're restricted by the content owners, namely the networks, producers, actors, commentators, etc. who need the advertising revenue for their income.

9 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

2. The Walking Dead and Keeping Up with the Kardashians are not life or death necessities. 

3. I imagine Service providers would sell to anyone they could but they're restricted by the content owners, namely the networks, producers, actors, commentators, etc. who need the advertising revenue for their income.

giphy.gif

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

1 hour ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Especially when you can get it for free. Not sure about the situation in the UK, but no one I know on the mainland waits e.g. for a shitty German or French translation to air on regular TV; they all stream the US versions. 

3 hours ago, I am Ram said:

Look at it this way: For every dude who steals an EPSN stream, there are probably 3 grannies who pay the ESPN fees with their cable bill without ever watching a single game. 

or more....lots more....

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

2 hours ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Who is the victim if you view a Boise State stream and pay for the service exactly when there is NOT EVEN a local provider carry the content?  I thought you were a libertarian who doesn't like unnecessary rules and laws for victim less crimes?  Or maybe do you think that since it isn't illegal in the country you live you shouldn't even pay at all.  Whose laws should I be following USA laws or the laws where I live when deciding to access content?  

Posted Image

23 minutes ago, Akkula said:

Who is the victim if you view a Boise State stream and pay for the service exactly when there is NOT EVEN a local provider carry the content?  I thought you were a libertarian who doesn't like unnecessary rules and laws for victim less crimes?  Or maybe do you think that since it isn't illegal in the country you live you shouldn't even pay at all.  Whose laws should I be following USA laws or the laws where I live when deciding to access content?  

Jesus — you Colorado State grads are a piece of work. Or perhaps you’re right, entertainers shouldn’t have a right to compensation. Good idea. 

26 minutes ago, BSUTOP25 said:

Jesus — you Colorado State grads are a piece of work. Or perhaps you’re right, entertainers shouldn’t have a right to compensation. Good idea. 

You can't claim the moral high ground here after just admitting you use a VPN to bypass country restrictions. You violate your provider's ToS, and the ToS probably exist to protect the provider's revenue.

2 hours ago, I am Ram said:

Yes, that would be a good summary. As this board never tires to point out, they are always free to quit and find a better job. 

Good, I’ll keep that mind the next time I hear you tell some sob story about mean old bosses, greedy corporations, crooked politicians, wicked lobbyists and the like. Ain’t no victims here, just free lunch.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.