Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jdgaucho

OT: UCLA suspends LiAngelo Ball, Cody Riley, Jalen Hill indefinitely

Wow… LaVar is going to pitch a hissy fit!  Probably chewing on Steve Alford’s ear as I type this, LOL

"Make a mistake once and it becomes a lesson, make the same mistake twice and it becomes a choice."

16 minutes ago, Monty93 said:

And by "indefinitely", they mean until this blows over and/or they need them for conference play.

UCLA still has Creighton, Baylor/Wisconsin, Michigan, Cincy and Kentucky before they open Pac-12 play.  At the very least, that's three fewer warm bodies on the bench for Alford to throw out there.

26 minutes ago, LoboMan59 said:

Wow… LaVar is going to pitch a hissy fit!  Probably chewing on Steve Alford’s ear as I type this, LOL

Well, he did say LiAngelo was going to be 1 and done...

43 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

They should have been expelled!!

Should all athletes who commit theft be expelled? Or just the ones who do it in China? 

They did something incredibly stupid in one of the worst places to do it, but they shouldn’t be expelled. Lengthy suspensions are fine. 

Didn't Duke give Grayson Allen an "indefinite suspension" that actually lasted for one game? I don't know. Part of me thinks that they shouldn't have their lives ruined because of one stupid mistake at age 18. But another part of me thinks that they should be rotting in a Chinese jail right now and that even expulsion would be a lesser punishment than they deserved. I hope that this "indefinite suspension" lasts at least until conference play starts if not the entire season.

1 hour ago, blind_squirrel54 said:

Should all athletes who commit theft be expelled? Or just the ones who do it in China? 

They did something incredibly stupid in one of the worst places to do it, but they shouldn’t be expelled. Lengthy suspensions are fine. 

I'm sure before they left, they were given the do's and dont's of being in China.  Yes, the did something incredibly stupid but they weren't just representing UCLA, they were also representing the USA.  It was an honor to be able to travel abroad and represent the USA.  Not to mention, the money & time spent and getting these guys out.  I personally think they should have been kept in China.  Do you think if they weren't basketball players from UCLA, they would have been let go??  When my Daughter was in college and they went to Canada for a ski race, they were told the do's and dont's and if you couldn't follow the directions, then you would be expelled.  Of course, 99% of women athletes are  not that stupid!

down in a hole.jpg

We had a kid accused of stealing a TV from his neighbor. Fish suspended him and then let him back on the team after charges were dropped.  He suspended other kids indefinitely for violations of team rules which usually meant you were screwing up in school or smoking weed

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

the wording "indefinite suspension" is simply being used as a scare tactic, they'll be playing again in a couple of weeks.  Didn't your parents try that on you?  "Your grounded until I say you're not!"

Stupid decision, but if a Chinese athlete shop-lifted while in America would any of us care?  Much to do about nothing IMO. 

1 hour ago, blind_squirrel54 said:

What's lengthy?

When Rick Neuheisel coached the Bruins football team, three kids did basically the same thing except not overseas and not with one having a loud mouth father so it wasn't international news. Neuheisel nevertheless suspended them all for a season, at which point they all transferred. That's what Alford should have done as well.

Anybody foolish enough to think the success or lack of it by the team won't have any impact on when they're allowed to return?

Boom goes the dynamite.

51 minutes ago, StanfordAggie said:

Part of me thinks that they shouldn't have their lives ruined because of one stupid mistake at age 18. 

This is straight out knowing theft...that is not simply a "mistake" in my book.   A youthful mistake is getting drunk and getting into a fight or something along those lines.

Frankly, If I were the coach, they would be booted from my team plain and simple.  I don't want players that I can't trust.  They should be suspended all year IMO at a minimum but I doubt that happens.