Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

madmartigan

The State of MW hoops programs

I am predicting that the MW is a multi-bid conference this year. My expectation is two tourney teams and I wouldn't be surprised if we got 3 teams in. A lot of solid programs that are getting better. Nevada, Wyo, SDSU, Fresno, Boise will round out the top of the conference. UNLV is always a mystery and could be the wild card. Ditto CSU. I'm feeling optimistic about the outlook for MW basketball. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 minute ago, k5james said:

Don't do this to yourself man.

You think I'll be disappointed? 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

16 minutes ago, Poster17 said:

This is a one bid conference.  Don't fool yourselves.  When our top team is considering a home win vs. Rhode lsland as a quality non-conference win, we as a conference are in trouble.  That's reality.  

Rhode Island is a quality non conference win. Stupid to say it’s not. BUT, it’s nothing more than that. This conference needs more. 

18 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Who is FSU or Wyo going to beat that will get them an at large?

I think Nevada and SDSU get the auto while one of the other two win the tournament. Still a ton of basketball to be played. But all 4 teams have a chance to notch multiple strong OOC wins.

46 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Who is FSU or Wyo going to beat that will get them an at large?

we'd have to literally get through OOC undefeated and lose a max of two conference games at SDSU and Nevada but not win the tournament.  Its more likely we get hot late and win the tournament again like 2015.

2 bids max and that is if the top seed has a really good season and is upset in the MWC championship game.  More likely is winner of the MWC is the one team that goes dancing.  MWC is a solid G5 conference, but P5 teams are eating more and more of the at large bids.  

32 minutes ago, cardrater said:

I think Nevada and SDSU get the auto while one of the other two win the tournament. Still a ton of basketball to be played. But all 4 teams have a chance to notch multiple strong OOC wins.

The tournament looks like it's shaping up to be quite compelling.  Hope we get some fans down here again and have some fun.  Looking at you Lobos. 

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

Rhode Island is a quality non conference win. Stupid to say it’s not. BUT, it’s nothing more than that. This conference needs more. 

And that is what will keep us from getting multiple bids. UNLV's schedule is especially putrid. And it's too bad because this is a pretty good team this season.

1 hour ago, cardrater said:

Just a point of clarification, there cannot be two auto bids (that goes to our tourney winner) so I assume you meant "at large." :police:

UNR has TCU (very good) left.

SDSU has ASU (somewhat meh, but possible tourney team) and Gonzaga (outstanding) left.

The remaining games on their schedule are fairly weak. I don't think one or two really good OOC wins is enough for an at-large. Although SDSU might prove me wrong if they beat the Zags. Their problem hasn't been who they've beaten OOC, it's who they've lost to. They will melt down on some 200 RPI team. It always happens. The sun rises in the east and SDSU loses to an Arkansas Pine Bluff or USD or some other nobody.

If UNR wins out, they will be a bubble team. That's probably the only scenario that we get two bids (assuming they lose the auto bid).

1 hour ago, alum93 said:

2 bids max and that is if the top seed has a really good season and is upset in the MWC championship game.  More likely is winner of the MWC is the one team that goes dancing.  MWC is a solid G5 conference, but P5 teams are eating more and more of the at large bids.  

They said this ten years ago, and then the non-P5 teams starting gobbling up bids.

53 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

And that is what will keep us from getting multiple bids. UNLV's schedule is especially putrid. And it's too bad because this is a pretty good team this season.

We’ll see how good we are this year.  We do have a chance to get a quality win when we play Arizona.