Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

namssa

Mountain West weighs TV money versus controlling game times

"I don't want to say Boise's brand is different, but when they came off Fiesta Bowl runs they were a national story. They're not there today. They're still excellent," Burman said. "Boise still has a brand that's different than the rest of us. But that discussion needs to happen between presidents and the commissioner about what does Boise merit three years from now and how does this get resolved."

Boise State AD Curt Apsey said the school is open to having that discussion. He also added that while the Broncos and their fans would welcome more day games, they can't come at the expense of TV revenue.

"It would be very difficult for us to give up the TV money and make it up in ticket sales," he said.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

The most interesting thing to me was the statement (I'm paraphrasing) that comparing streaming viewer numbers to broadcast numbers is apples and oranges. That's something many here just don't seem to grasp.

When the big boy conferences start "broadcasting" exclusively over Facebook or some such thing as the MWC started doing this year, I'll say streaming is a good thing. But I won't believe that until I see it and I don't expect to see it any time soon if ever.

Boom goes the dynamite.

7 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Some of those Thompson quotes are cringe worthy.  I'm not an AD so I don't know.  Why don't you work with your ADs behind closed doors and not just spout off in news articles?

Agreed.  The guy is a gaff machine.

Jesus I feel like I'm in a time warp.  This is literally the exact same conversation we had when we left ESPN when they tried to lowball us, and went with CSTV in order to keep fan-friendly kickoff times.  You take care of your home fans first.  If you need TV dollars to stay afloat you're on life support anyway, and probably need to strengthen your local fan base.

3 minutes ago, Brew_Poke said:

Jesus I feel like I'm in a time warp.  This is literally the exact same conversation we had when we left ESPN when they tried to lowball us, and went with CSTV in order to keep fan-friendly kickoff times.  You take care of your home fans first.  If you need TV dollars to stay afloat you're on life support anyway, and probably need to strengthen your local fan base.

The national exposure on tv is more important than the actual money. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

2 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

The national exposure on tv is more important than the actual money. 

Yeah, thanks for furthering the timewarp.  That's the exact same party line that the WAC members at the time had.  I think it's even a weaker argument now, because TV is dead.  The Wyoming Youtube channel (WyoVision) is probably more important for exposure now.

The more I think about that article the more pissed off I get.  Just how dysfunctional is this this conference?  How are the ADs, presidents, and the conference not more on the same page.  I get each school will look out for itself and there won't always be a consensus, but damn, that article just paints the MW as +++++ing amateur hour, which it is apparently.  

How is Thompson still in charge?  I would love for someone to break down what he has done to help this conference.  There isn't a magic bullet that will all of the sudden get the schools $10 mil a year but what has Thompson done outside of foiling The Project ?  Why haven't the President's demanded more out of him?  Why does he come off like a buffoon Everytime he opens his mouth?

22 minutes ago, Brew_Poke said:

Yeah, thanks for furthering the timewarp.  That's the exact same party line that the WAC members at the time had.  I think it's even a weaker argument now, because TV is dead.  The Wyoming Youtube channel (WyoVision) is probably more important for exposure now.

Yeah go ask any recruit if they would rather play on YouTube or espn. 

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

1 hour ago, RogueStout said:

"I don't want to say Boise's brand is different, but when they came off Fiesta Bowl runs they were a national story. They're not there today. They're still excellent," Burman said. "Boise still has a brand that's different than the rest of us. But that discussion needs to happen between presidents and the commissioner about what does Boise merit three years from now and how does this get resolved."

Burman needs to shut his pie hole.  Boise won a Fiesta Bowl in 2014 - just three years ago.  Not to mention, Boise is a National brand.  Boise has fans all over the US AND International, that have never even been to Idaho.  When you talk MWC, Boise is the first name that comes to mind!!

down in a hole.jpg

Unless Boise dramatically improves and starts rattling off Access Bowl appearances.  I just don't see where their leverage is going to come from.  Where would they go?  The AAC?  Would they want them?  I don't know.  And where would Boise play olympics?  The WAC?

I guess ESPN themselves could be their leverage, but ESPN isn't going to care about Boise appearance mandates and how the MWC cuts the pie.  ESPN is trying to cut costs anyway.

1 hour ago, Brew_Poke said:

You can't be serious. How many people more than a few hundred miles from Laramie are going to watch WyoVision? Hell, I've never even heard of it. In contrast, ESPN networks are watched all over the country. Same with CBSSN albeit to a lesser extent.

Recruit to guys on his HS team: "I'm seriously considering committing to Wyoming."

Guys on his team: "If you do that, where are we going to be able to catch your games? Wyoming games aren't ever on TV anymore, are they?"

Recruit: "Uh, uh, the recruiting coordinator told me the games are streamed somewhere but I can't remember where he said."

Teammates: "Dude, please tell us you have a better offer than that."

Boom goes the dynamite.

28 minutes ago, Broncomare said:

Burman needs to shut his pie hole.  Boise won a Fiesta Bowl in 2014 - just three years ago.  Not to mention, Boise is a National brand.  Boise has fans all over the US AND International, that have never even been to Idaho.  When you talk MWC, Boise is the first name that comes to mind!!

I hate to tell you but no one cares about any of our schools.   Our late night games, particularly on Friday, are merely an abvertising platform for their Sat night match up.    

The un-spoken factor is the difference between Boise’s TV rights and it’s digital platform rights.   Boise doesn’t have a say in its digital platform rights and I’m not certain they get bonus money if all games are streamed on a digital platform.   

53 minutes ago, boisewitha-s said:

Yeah go ask any recruit if they would rather play on YouTube or espn. 

Considering that recruits are younger than my 21 year old daughter, and she prefers youtube, I'm going to say youtube.  The media landscape is different now.  TV is dead.