Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

namssa

Mountain West weighs TV money versus controlling game times

4 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

It's interesting that this article is from ABC News i.e. Disney/ESPN.  It's like someone from Disney thought they'd get a different story from the Hair if an ABC News reporter is asking the questions rather than an ESPN reporter but they didn't. 

This article is not from ABC News. They only reposted the story. The article was written by Ralph Russo, who is from the Associated Press. 

2 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Might as well all be independent?

Conference could sell the championship game.   NCAA bids and bowls would be intact.  Would stop the complaining though because everyone could get what they are worth.  Sdsu could sell its b ball games etc.  

Posted Image

6 hours ago, CPslograd said:

Which in a lot of cases in regards to sports they can only do because their parents are paying for a cable subscription.

Haven't read the entire thread...so perhaps it's been addressed...but  chances are those 28 and 18 year olds aren't streaming sports anyway.  All three of our boys stream...and even if they're sports  fans...they rarely stream sports.  The practice in my house now  seems to be me having a game on the TV while they watch random videos on their phones/tablets only to gaze up at the TV occasionally if something exciting happens...then they'll just ask me to rewind it...lol. 

36 minutes ago, 307dude said:

This article is not from ABC News. They only reposted the story. The article was written by Ralph Russo, who is from the Associated Press. 

I thought I said that. Oh yeah, I did.  :rock:

2 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

Don't read too much into the URL address. That is simply where the OP saw the article which has been posted on many other sources also.

Per the byline the writer is an Associated Press sports reporter, Ralph D. Russo. He does not work for ABC.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/content/ralph-d-russo

43 minutes ago, av-rated said:

Haven't read the entire thread...so perhaps it's been addressed...but  chances are those 28 and 18 year olds aren't streaming sports anyway.  All three of our boys stream...and even if they're sports  fans...they rarely stream sports.  The practice in my house now  seems to be me having a game on the TV while they watch random videos on their phones/tablets only to gaze up at the TV occasionally if something exciting happens...then they'll just ask me to rewind it...lol. 

I'm relatively old and I do the same .

10 hours ago, av-rated said:

This is a great point. It's not just that younger generations aren't watching standard TV anymore ... they're not watching 3.5 straight hours of the same content anymore. They're doing other things that are more interactive or personal in nature on their devises. The entertainment industry, which includes movies and network programming, is going through such a disruptive period that streaming is simply a drop in the bucket or first step for what's coming down the road. The consumer is evolving and the programming model has to adapt as does do the sports themselves. American football and baseball need to continue to find ways to make their game duration shorter and I also think we're going to see a major drop off in advertising as the ROI just isn't there. Sports in general are going to become more of a niche in the future when it comes to entertainment wherein only the enthusiast is going to dedicate enough of their time to following them whereas the casual observer has far too many interests and alternatives to turn to -- unlike the old days were the TV in the living room was the central hub of the house. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

13 hours ago, renoskier said:

He says "they're still excellent", and you have a problem?

They aren't what they were 3 years ago. What's wrong with pointing that out?

The more Boise State wins, the more you are going to see posters you’ve never heard up pop up and attack anything even remotely negative that gets put on this board.

You know, like the old days.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

15 hours ago, renoskier said:

Might as well all be independent?

Consider this. Given the extremely modest income now received from the TV contracts for everybody not named Boise State and given that this is has effectively become a one-bid basketball conference so we now don't make diddly squat in tournament credits, just what value does the MWC have to all of us? To me, just the following.

• A way for SDSU to annually qualify for mediocre at best bowl games.
  • A means of facilitating scheduling for our sports teams.

In all other ways the conference is virtually worthless anymore.

Boom goes the dynamite.

11 hours ago, Bob said:

That's because it's 900 degrees out during the day

You know, if I was a Fresno coach, I'd schedule every early home game at 3 pm (hottest time in the valley is usually about 5 that time of year).  Watch them wilt like Colorado did when it was 115 that day.  They had no interest in playing that game in that heat.