Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fido

BYU loses another QB for the rest of the season

1 hour ago, Fido said:

Beau Hoge was announced as done for the season with a toe injury on his right foot suffered on this play against Utah State:

So the Aggies defense get another notch in their belt of Cougar QBs they have knocked out for the season.

BYU depth chart as they work towards Hawaii in 2 weeks:

• Mangum (JR), Out - achillies
  • Hoge (SO), Out - foot
  • Critchlow (FR), #1
  • Kafentzsis (SO), wildcat change of pace, RB
  • Wilstead (FR - currently redshirting), #2
  • Detmer (SO), #3

If Critchlow goes out at all, do you think they would burn Wilstead's redshirt at this point rather than going to mini Detmer?

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan

4 minutes ago, Mano said:

If Critchlow goes out at all, do you think they would burn Wilstead's redshirt at this point rather than going to mini Detmer?

I would hope not.  Go with Detmer, go with Kafentsiz (sp).  Keep the red shirt on him.  But, from what I have seen and heard, Wilstead is number 2.

20 minutes ago, slappy said:

Yeah too bad things don't work that way.  We beat Boise last year.  Does that mean we win the Mountain this year?   

The irony, you sure seemed to think it would.  How many times did you say Boise would be 3rd-5th in the conference and the CSU-Wyo game would decide the Mtn winner.  Must have been 40-50 times.  Dozens of additional times you mentioned Wyoming being the "clear and obvious favorite".

2 hours ago, Fido said:

Beau Hoge was announced as done for the season with a toe injury on his right foot suffered on this play against Utah State:

So the Aggies defense get another notch in their belt of Cougar QBs they have knocked out for the season.

BYU depth chart as they work towards Hawaii in 2 weeks:

• Mangum (JR), Out - achillies
  • Hoge (SO), Out - foot
  • Critchlow (FR), #1
  • Kafentzsis (SO), wildcat change of pace, RB
  • Wilstead (FR - currently redshirting), #2
  • Detmer (SO), #3

Those damn dirty Aggies. In all seriousness, I feel your pain. USU had three QBs lost to season-ending injuries in 2014. It sucks not having continuity at that position. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

1 hour ago, slappy said:

That is why it is a gamble.  I will take Byu under 5.5 all day long and twice on Sunday.  

Winning percentage in independence has been about 63%.  In the same number of years before independence it was around 69%.  If you want to say the competition has been the same, go ahead.  BYU as a football program is not what it was in the 70's and 80's.  But, it was not that in the 90's and 00's either.  First losing season since Crowton.  We'll see if it continues next year.  As a side note, in LaVell's last seven years it was a little over 68% and that number includes 1996.  A year that BYU had 14 wins.  

3 hours ago, pacougar said:

Winning percentage in independence has been about 63%.  In the same number of years before independence it was around 69%.  If you want to say the competition has been the same, go ahead.  BYU as a football program is not what it was in the 70's and 80's.  But, it was not that in the 90's and 00's either.  First losing season since Crowton.  We'll see if it continues next year.  As a side note, in LaVell's last seven years it was a little over 68% and that number includes 1996.  A year that BYU had 14 wins.  

Look in football it usually takes some years for recruiting results to show themselves.  You are seeing the results this year from 4/5 years ago.  Reaching .500 from here on out will be difficult.  You will have to really schedule the bottom half of the MW to have a shot at .500.  This year the bottom half really tested you.  It is what it is.   It won't get easier.  

5 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

The irony, you sure seemed to think it would.  How many times did you say Boise would be 3rd-5th in the conference and the CSU-Wyo game would decide the Mtn winner.  Must have been 40-50 times.  Dozens of additional times you mentioned Wyoming being the "clear and obvious favorite".

You beat us at your place.  Good game.  If we played at our place we win the Mtn.  Don't take my posts so seriously.  And you shouldn't be counting my posts, that can't be healthy for you either.  Your kind of a weird little guy. 

8 minutes ago, slappy said:

You beat us at your place.  Good game.  If we played at our place we win the Mtn.  Don't take my posts so seriously.  And you shouldn't be counting my posts, that can't be healthy for you either.  Your kind of a weird little guy. 

Cute.  Boise plays better on the road the last two seasons.  Trust me old man, not counting your posts.  Idiotic homers stand out, see Nevada Convert.  You lost by two TD’s.  Maybe you cut it to 10 at home.

11 minutes ago, slappy said:

Look in football it usually takes some years for recruiting results to show themselves.  You are seeing the results this year from 4/5 years ago.  Reaching .500 from here on out will be difficult.  You will have to really schedule the bottom half of the MW to have a shot at .500.  This year the bottom half really tested you.  It is what it is.   It won't get easier.  

Good to know that the players from this season relate to recruiting during a couple 8-5 seasons from 4-5 years ago.  It will be nice to see the team improve once the guys recruited during our more recent 9-4 teams take over.

tonight as i got my 4 year old out of the bath, he took his towel off and began dancing around, his little willy flopping and twitching

he even serenaded me with a song: "penis!  penis!  i have a penis!!!"  over and over

i enjoyed that exchange more than this thread.

42 minutes ago, slappy said:

Thanks for letting us know Nostradamus.

33 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Cute.  Boise plays better on the road the last two seasons.  Trust me old man, not counting your posts.  Idiotic homers stand out, see Nevada Convert.  You lost by two TD’s.  Maybe you cut it to 10 at home.

Lol

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

18 hours ago, slappy said:

I think the talent at QB is really down.  The Indy route in general has really hurt the talent pool.  choices choices

Agreed, landing an Elite 11 MVP is really a good referendum on how lousy Independence has been for BYU QB recruiting.  If only they were here in the MWC where Elite 11 MVP's are a dime a dozen.

v0icAvfW.jpg

1 minute ago, NorCalCoug said:

Agreed, landing an Elite 11 MVP is really a good referendum on how louay Independence has been for BYU QB recruiting.  If only they were here in the MWC where that's a dime a dozen.

OK.  I guess you win 8 games next year. Or this downward trend of talent is shown again with another 4/5 win total.  I am betting this is the new level.  5 wins next year will be really tough for kids that got 3/4 wins this year.  Looking at it any other way just makes you a really good fan.  Which is ok.  Good luck in your remaining games, 3 wins is possible.  

1 minute ago, slappy said:

OK.  I guess you win 8 games next year. Or this downward trend of talent is shown again with another 4/5 win total.  I am betting this is the new level.  5 wins next year will be really tough for kids that got 3/4 wins this year.  Looking at it any other way just makes you a really good fan.  Which is ok.  Good luck in your remaining games, 3 wins is possible.  

So BYU as an Independent needs better QB recruiting than Elite 11 MVP's in your mind?   And being in the MWC will help them with that necessary goal?

v0icAvfW.jpg

5 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

So BYU as an Independent needs better QB recruiting than Elite 11 MVP's in your mind?   And being in the MWC will help them with that necessary goal?

It is hard to deny the complete lack of recruited talent on your roster.  This trend has been taking place across all positions since going Indy.  When Byu can get over .500 again I would re-evaluate my stance.  Your playing at a level that is bottom third of the current MW.  Next year will bring more of the same, and your coach will get fired.  If a turn around is possible ( +.500 season)  while being Indy it is at minimum 4/5 years out.  This is your new norm.  Bowl eligibility will be tough.  

26 minutes ago, slappy said:

It is hard to deny the complete lack of recruited talent on your roster.  This trend has been taking place across all positions since going Indy.  When Byu can get over .500 again I would re-evaluate my stance.  Your playing at a level that is bottom third of the current MW.  Next year will bring more of the same, and your coach will get fired.  If a turn around is possible ( +.500 season)  while being Indy it is at minimum 4/5 years out.  This is your new norm.  Bowl eligibility will be tough.  

Support it with facts then.  I follow BYU recruiting closely and call BS on this.  According to Rivals team rankings BYU's avg in the 7 years pre-Independence was 62.6 and 63.0 in the 7 years post-Independence.  The issue at BYU right now isn't a significant decline in talent.  BYU has done far more with less in years past.

v0icAvfW.jpg

I don’t believe for a second that Independence impacts BYU recruiting.

BYU is a different animal. The kids who go to BYU go there because it is BYU. I highly doubt they are interested in New Mexico and UNLV, or Fresno/UNr/SJSU/SDSU. That isn’t going to sway them to go there.

AFA could go Independent tomorrow and it wouldn’t change their recruiting in any way. BYU is the same in my opinion.

BYU is struggling because they chince out and don’t pay their coaching staff enough to fill it with good, creative, passionate and most importantly qualified  people.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

2 minutes ago, RogueStout said:

I don’t believe for a second that Independence impacts BYU recruiting.

BYU is a different animal. The kids who go to BYU go there because it is BYU. I highly doubt they are interested in New Mexico and UNLV, or Fresno/UNr/SJSU/SDSU. That isn’t going to sway them to go there.

AFA could go Independent tomorrow and it wouldn’t change their recruiting in any way. BYU is the same in my opinion.

BYU is struggling because they chince out and don’t pay their coaching staff enough to fill it with good, creative, passionate and most importantly qualified  people.

Spot on...  you understand BYU far more than most on this board and certainly way more than slappy.  The current issues are more structural in nature and coaching/scheme related (obviously given how this year has gone).

v0icAvfW.jpg