Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

Rhode island @ Nevada ESPN u gameday

39 minutes ago, Mad_Hatter said:

Very nice resume win. Delicious morsel from the URI board:

In fairness, we didn't lose to Nevada. There is no Nevada basketball program. We lost to NC State/So. Illinois/Purdue/Oregon St/Iowa St. That's not a basketball program. It's a parasite.

Even as a Nevada fan I had to laugh at that.

Rhode Island is an animal. If that doesn’t end up being a top 50 win I’ll be shocked, they are so mentally tough.

Pros:

The Martin brothers are for real. Multi-tool players on both sides of the court. Get that toe where it needs to be Caleb.

Depth is not a concern at all. We have talent for days. Maybe too much...see concerns.

Josh Hall is the type of guy who will carry this program when all the stars are gone. He does all the glue stuff. We need more of our guys to be like him to reach our highest potential.

Jordan Caroline is a top 5 favorite Wolf Pack player for me. I’ve loved a lot of guys, but he is there. I want my sons to attack everything they love the way he plays basketball.

Concerns

We got a little too Martin centric in the first half. It may be paranoia, but Muss needs to watch out for a splitting of cabals in the team, a Martin faction and an old guard faction.

Muss’s substitutions. Not seeing enough Drew or Foster involvement, especially that first half. They left the game, and they really left the game at that point. Drew found his way back in at crunch time. We need that guy.

3 point shooting was bad. We ain’t last year’s team at all, that much is clear. But playing the two point game is going to lead to a lot of really tough games to pull out in this day and ages basketball. Where are you Stephens?

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

48 minutes ago, Mad_Hatter said:

Very nice resume win. Delicious morsel from the URI board:

In fairness, we didn't lose to Nevada. There is no Nevada basketball program. We lost to NC State/So. Illinois/Purdue/Oregon St/Iowa St. That's not a basketball program. It's a parasite.

Waaa waaa waaa.......

Welcome to the new paradigm in college hoops. 

5 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Rhode Island is an animal. If that doesn’t end up being a top 50 win I’ll be shocked, they are so mentally tough.

Pros:

The Martin brothers are for real. Multi-tool players on both sides of the court. Get that toe where it needs to be Caleb.

Depth is not a concern at all. We have talent for days. Maybe too much...see concerns.

Josh Hall is the type of guy who will carry this program when all the stars are gone. He does all the glue stuff. We need more of our guys to be like him to reach our highest potential.

Jordan Caroline is a top 5 favorite Wolf Pack player for me. I’ve loved a lot of guys, but he is there. I want my sons to attack everything they love the way he plays basketball.

Concerns

We got a little too Martin centric in the first half. It may be paranoia, but Muss needs to watch out for a splitting of cabals in the team, a Martin faction and an old guard faction.

Muss’s substitutions. Not seeing enough Drew or Foster involvement, especially that first half. They left the game, and they really left the game at that point. Drew found his way back in at crunch time. We need that guy.

3 point shooting was bad. We ain’t last year’s team at all, that much is clear. But playing the two point game is going to lead to a lot of really tough games to pull out in this day and ages basketball. Where are you Stephens?

I don’t see any friction within the team. Your concern about a Martin faction vs last season’s returning players seems paranoid. 

Drew sat in the first half because he picked up two fouls in the first six minutes of the game, not because Muss felt others were playing better. He’ll average 30 minutes per game this season on a deep team with lots guys of capable of playing the point. 

Foster gave solid minutes in the first half, but when URI ran four guards out five minutes in, Muss figured (correctly) that Caroline could cover the lone big. We didn’t see many URI lineups with two bigs after that, and Foster is something of a chink in the positionless basketball armor Muss likes for this team. I suspect when they run into teams with two solid posts, Foster and Williams will get more run. 

This team isn’t passing the ball around yet like we often saw from last season’s squad. We see flashes, like the late first half corner three from Cooke that had two guys pass up decent looks to get the best shot. Once they really start trusting each other and knowing where they can expect to find the open man, they will be truly dangerous on offense. The biggest concern right now is the defensive glass. All those offensive rebounds they gave up in the second half kept URI in the game. Heck, Idaho had more offensive rebounds than Nevada. Butts on nuts needs to be a point of emphasis on practice. 

Well URI fans are right there is no basketball team known as Nevada. There is a team known as UNR though.

7 hours ago, ph90702 said:

If you’re such a UNLV fan, why did you go elsewhere?

10 minutes ago, Yellow Evan said:

Well URI fans are right there is no basketball team known as Nevada. There is a team known as UNR though.

:rolleyes:

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

I love the way that we match up with UNR.  They made their living attacking the basket against Rhode Island.  They won’t be able to do that against us.

Just worry about not getting blown off the floor by 30, then you can start feeling good about matchups.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

9 hours ago, Posturedoc said:

I don’t see any friction within the team. Your concern about a Martin faction vs last season’s returning players seems paranoid. 

Drew sat in the first half because he picked up two fouls in the first six minutes of the game, not because Muss felt others were playing better. He’ll average 30 minutes per game this season on a deep team with lots guys of capable of playing the point. 

Foster gave solid minutes in the first half, but when URI ran four guards out five minutes in, Muss figured (correctly) that Caroline could cover the lone big. We didn’t see many URI lineups with two bigs after that, and Foster is something of a chink in the positionless basketball armor Muss likes for this team. I suspect when they run into teams with two solid posts, Foster and Williams will get more run. 

This team isn’t passing the ball around yet like we often saw from last season’s squad. We see flashes, like the late first half corner three from Cooke that had two guys pass up decent looks to get the best shot. Once they really start trusting each other and knowing where they can expect to find the open man, they will be truly dangerous on offense. The biggest concern right now is the defensive glass. All those offensive rebounds they gave up in the second half kept URI in the game. Heck, Idaho had more offensive rebounds than Nevada. Butts on nuts needs to be a point of emphasis on practice. 

Rebounding will be the Achilles' heel of this team. That is the downside of so-called positionless basketball. They'll have to figure out a way to improve, but I think they will be outrebounded by plenty of teams this year.

Some thoughts:

-I like that Muss tailors the game plan for each game. He said in the postgame press conference they went ISO based on what they saw and knew that URI was foul happy. It worked. 

-As it’s been mentioned multiple times rebounding will be the Achilles heel for his team, Caroline got 12 but put two bodies on him and no one was able to rebound. They got 18 offensive rebounds or this a double digit win.

-I was super impressed with the student section maybe it was the BattleBorn Brigade helping feed their energy. I really hope that continues because as a result the rest of the crowd really got into it and for appearing to be a little over half full we were loud.

-The Martin twins play with so much energy on defense it’s crazy, this is the type of defense intensity the team missed last year. However, it did appear they were a bit tired late in the game as a result.

-Josh Hall looks skittish/passive on offense so far this season. Like he doesn’t want to screw up and get pulled. I felt at least on 4 occasions he was wide open and could have shot the ball or drove to the bucket but made an unnecessary pass to a Martin or Caroline.

-Lindsey Drew looks way more comfortable offensively this year, he just needs to stay out of foul trouble. He was able to drive to the bucket and get layups/floaters that I hoped for last year.

-Caroline is the same as last year a beast downlow but now is making free throws near 80% on the year vs 59% last year. Only thing that’s missing so far this year for him is the mid range 2 and 3 point shot. He just hasn’t been able to hit that yet.

That’s it for now. Wednesday game against Santa Clara is no gimmie. Road game against a top 130 Kenpom team. Kenpom has us winning 75-73 basically what he had us winning against Rhode Island so a dogfight.

5 hours ago, ph90702 said:

I love the way that we match up with UNR.  They made their living attacking the basket against Rhode Island.  They won’t be able to do that against us.

Although UNLV's bigs are bigger, our guards are smaller and their "bigs" are quick. Not sure how it will all shake out in the end.

The big problem I see is that UNLV has 4 pretty/really good players and then not so much.  Pack has 6-7 pretty/really good players.  But there's a long way to go and we've only seen two games. There's always twists, turns and surprises in every season. Maybe a guy like Hardy will come alive as the season progresses.

3 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Although UNLV's bigs are bigger, our guards are smaller and their "bigs" are quick. Not sure how it will all shake out in the end.

The big problem I see is that UNLV has 4 pretty/really good players and then not so much.  Pack has 6-7 pretty/really good players.  But there's a long way to go and we've only seen two games. There's always twists, turns and surprises in every season. Maybe a guy like Hardy will come alive as the season progresses.

It’s a long season and we don’t play for almost 3 months so declaring one team a victor after 2 OOC games is a little premature. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 hour ago, Jaredcg said:

Some thoughts:

-I like that Muss tailors the game plan for each game. He said in the postgame press conference they went ISO based on what they saw and knew that URI was foul happy. It worked. 

-Josh Hall looks skittish/passive on offense so far this season. Like he doesn’t want to screw up and get pulled. I felt at least on 4 occasions he was wide open and could have shot the ball or drove to the bucket but made an unnecessary pass to a Martin or Caroline.

That’s interesting re. Muss’ ISO comments. It makes sense. Still, I thought there were times when the ISO offense bogged down with one guy, usually a Martin, had the ball the entire possession and got locked up as time ran down either turning it over or taking a terrible shot. Thank goodness that last 3 from Caleb went in. Maybe a little more passing O looking for a good shot earlier in the possession before going into ISO with 12-15 seconds remaining would be a better compromise, at least on some possessions. 

I think Hall is also still gun shy driving to the hole after that horrendous fall last season. That is simply going to take time - and some success in traffic - before he stops thinking about it and just does it. I’m pretty sure it’s all going to come together for him offensively at some point this season. 

12 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Pros:

Concerns

I totally echo the Stephens disappearing act.  I understand he is streaky, but so far he has been nonexistent.  At some point we are going to really need him, so I’d love to see Muss run a couple early sets in the Santa Clara game to try and get him involved.