Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am Ram

OT: MLS - WTF is happening in Atlanta?

I used ye ole search function and didn't see a thread on this. Atlanta United FC. Joined the MLS in 2017. Deep south. Pigskin country. 48,000 attendance average, 71,874 attendance record. In their first +++++in season!

This is absolutely amazing. I love American football, but in the long term, my money is on soccer. Can't wait to see what city is next.

Attendance_Article1.jpg?BSFlVrfpbW9otW3Q

21 minutes ago, Wyovanian said:

Who in the actual f--k cares?

I'm over 50 and soccer is like watching a marathon only less scoring

Think soccer MLS is a younger demographic thing that grew up playing soccer where I didn't - Only soccer I ever played was PE in HS and it was an exercise in stupidity........in my day (Washoe County / Reno Sparks ) soccer was just in the very first years as a club sport where informal soccer clubs would play other high schools.

I guess soccer is good for younger kids because it doesn't require a bunch of hand / eye coordination skills like football, baseball or basketball.........pretty much any kids with legs can run around and kick a ball, no catching anything required 

Las Vegas is getting a team in something called the USL........Las Vegas Lights FC <-- funny how many US MLS & other teams copy European league things, even if it's just a gimmick (Think Real Salt Lake !!) http://www.lasvegaslightsfc.com/

Image result for las vegas lights fcI might give a crap if this was MLS Soccer, but minor league soccer isn't something I'm going to care about 

33 minutes ago, k5james said:

MLS is minor league soccer.

Compared to the Euro leagues and maybe some South American leagues I guess it is - proving soccer has a long ways to go to be considered a "major league" in the US of A 

Still to guys like me, it's 10 guys kicking a ball around 2 acres of grass trying to kick the ball into a goal the size of an average construction trailer and doing it once or twice in 90 minutes of trotting around & flopping when kicked in the shins & rolling around like they just were close lined by Brian Urlacher 

If soccer was this entertaining I might watch more - there more kicking in this 4 minute video than in 90 minutes of soccer trotting

Similar to baseball in Montreal, the novelty will eventually wear off in a place like Atlanta. There will always be a die hard faction of Subaru driving soccer enthusiasts but I don't think a recreational activity that often ends in a 0-0 tie will achieve long-term mass appeal in the United States. 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

3 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

Compared to the Euro leagues and maybe some South American leagues I guess it is - proving soccer has a long ways to go to be considered a "major league" in the US of A 

Still to guys like me, it's 10 guys kicking a ball around 2 acres of grass trying to kick the ball into a goal the size of an average construction trailer and doing it once or twice in 90 minutes of trotting around & flopping when kicked in the shins & rolling around like they just were close lined by Brian Urlacher 

If soccer was this entertaining I might watch more - there more kicking in this 4 minute video than in 90 minutes of soccer trotting

That's the thing about San Diego and those thinking MLS would be a slam dunk here.

There's a Liga MX team within a 10-20 minute drive and five minute cab ride from the border.

1 hour ago, k5james said:

That's the thing about San Diego and those thinking MLS would be a slam dunk here.

There's a Liga MX team within a 10-20 minute drive and five minute cab ride from the border.

San Diego isn’t a great sports city. It’s a great city that has sports. 

5 hours ago, k5james said:

I have been to a Xolos match.  It's about 100x times less convenient than you make it sound in this post.  I think MLS is fun, and a team would do ok in San Diego and I would love to see it.  That doesn't mean I support SoccerCity.  

10 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

I'm over 50 and soccer is like watching a marathon only less scoring

Think soccer MLS is a younger demographic thing that grew up playing soccer where I didn't - Only soccer I ever played was PE in HS and it was an exercise in stupidity........in my day (Washoe County / Reno Sparks ) soccer was just in the very first years as a club sport where informal soccer clubs would play other high schools.

I guess soccer is good for younger kids because it doesn't require a bunch of hand / eye coordination skills like football, baseball or basketball.........pretty much any kids with legs can run around and kick a ball, no catching anything required 

Las Vegas is getting a team in something called the USL........Las Vegas Lights FC <-- funny how many US MLS & other teams copy European league things, even if it's just a gimmick (Think Real Salt Lake !!) http://www.lasvegaslightsfc.com/

Image result for las vegas lights fcI might give a crap if this was MLS Soccer, but minor league soccer isn't something I'm going to care about 

When I was growing up, soccer was big. Until you were twelve. Then basketball, football, and baseball were big.

I think you're right though, about the dexterity, skill, and strength that those sports demand and that soccer doesn't.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes