Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fido

No more Aztecs?

32 minutes ago, StAz said:

I agree with Bob here.  It was acceptable behavior back then and you accepted it.  

And if what you were a part of 20 years is racist, how about the cartoon above by Lalo.  He shows a big fat, buck toothed white guy dressed like an Indian.  While the cartoon does not offend me, it is every bit as racist as what you guys did 20 years ago.

Who in the hell is Lalo? 

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

7 hours ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

It’s just a political cartoon that i saw a while back that I think depicts the “I’m honoring you” argument well.  You’re not honoring anyone, guy. It’s an asinine justification. 

And it’s not just the fans of the team either. Our hated rival back in my high school days were the Burroughs Indians, as @GoldenEagleAztec knows. I vividly remember a banner drawn by our most creative cheerleader, displayed at homecoming, of an Indian man, apple in his mouth, turning on a spit with a Bulldog biting his ass. No one even thought twice about it back then. I actually loved it. Looking back on it, not so much- l feel pretty ashamed. 

Now, the Aztecs are an extinct culture, so you’re dealing with a different set of circumstances. I’ve never met a Latino who was offended by the Aztec mascot, but I’m sure there are some out there. I know that if I felt like I had deep cultural ties to a culture, I wouldn’t appreciate guys like Rev representing it the way they do. 

I’m not saying do things one way or another. I have no fight in the debate. But, it is something I have learned to empathize with more as I’ve gotten older rather than give them the ol’, “stop being an overly sensitive pussy” yell back.  

You've never heard me claim SDSU has been "honoring" the Aztecs. Indeed for a few decades the school DIShonored the Aztecs by having stupid Native American caricatures like in the cartoon you linked and by officially naming them Monty Montezuma. However, that's 15+ years in the past.

On your next point, yes, there are. However polls show they represent a distinct minority of that ethnic group.

I sort of agree with you on the last point. However, I find myself really conflicted on the issue these days. I detest the NRA for its absolute refusal to compromise on anything involving gun control. However, I can understand its position because I find myself having the same fear about this issue. SDSU has already officially changed the name of its mascot as well as changing the mascot's attire yet that wasn't good enough for the PC crowd. So although if I knew for certain that changing the human representation to a jaguar or something (hieroglyphs show the Aztecs fancied them), I would be OK with that PROVIDED I knew this shit would stop there. But history suggests it won't until SDSU changes to some asinine nickname like the Cardinal with an asinine mascot like a tree.

Boom goes the dynamite.

43 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

You've never heard me claim SDSU has been "honoring" the Aztecs. Indeed for a few decades the school DIShonored the Aztecs by having stupid Native American caricatures like in the cartoon you linked and by officially naming them Monty Montezuma. However, that's 15+ years in the past.

On your next point, yes, there are. However polls show they represent a distinct minority of that ethnic group.

I sort of agree with you on the last point. However, I find myself really conflicted on the issue these days. I detest the NRA for its absolute refusal to compromise on anything involving gun control. However, I can understand its position because I find myself having the same fear about this issue. SDSU has already officially changed the name of its mascot as well as changing the mascot's attire yet that wasn't good enough for the PC crowd. So although if I knew for certain that changing the human representation to a jaguar or something (hieroglyphs show the Aztecs fancied them), I would be OK with that PROVIDED I knew this shit would stop there. But history suggests it won't until SDSU changes to some asinine nickname like the Cardinal with an asinine mascot like a tree.

This horribly offends me as a Catholic.  First equating our leadership with a songbird (honestly more insulting to the songbird), and then using a tree as a mascot.  If you are going to use Cardinal at least use the bird as a mascot, the use of an asinine mascot for Cardinal is really insulting. Do I have grounds to sue Stanford?  Probably need to get a *insert ethnic minority* Catholic as a front for it. 

4 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

How old are you?? They've been the Burroughs Burros for as long as I've known... unless there's another Burroughs high school in California I don't know about?

Different Burroughs. John Burroughs High in Burbank. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

39 minutes ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

This horribly offends me as a Catholic.  First equating our leadership with a songbird (honestly more insulting to the songbird), and then using a tree as a mascot.  If you are going to use Cardinal at least use the bird as a mascot, the use of an asinine mascot for Cardinal is really insulting. Do I have grounds to sue Stanford?  Probably need to get a *insert ethnic minority* Catholic as a front for it. 

The tree isn't the mascot. That's not the "cardinal".

The "cadinal" is their red color. It is cardinal red. They are the Stanford Red. Their mascot is bright red. 

20 hours ago, Fido said:

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/education/sd-me-sdsu-mascot-20171108-story.html

The move to do away with San Diego State University’s Aztec mascot has resurfaced, taking opponents and even some supporters by surprise.

The latest gyration in the yearslong dispute occurred Tuesday night when the University Senate overwhelmingly voted to retire the Aztec Warrior and related symbols, 52-14.

Just seven months ago the Associated Students council agreed to keep the mascot and logo by a narrow vote of 14-12.

The Senate resolution, which is non-binding and is an advisory to the university president, called to do away with the human representation of an Aztec and the use of spears or other “weapons that connote barbaric representations of the Aztec culture.”

So... replace the spear with an obsidian blade studded club and call it good? 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

55 minutes ago, happycamper said:

The tree isn't the mascot. That's not the "cardinal".

The "cadinal" is their red color. It is cardinal red. They are the Stanford Red. Their mascot is bright red. 

So... replace the spear with an obsidian blade studded club and call it good? 

Hey, I don't need you poking any holes in my get rich quick schemes crusade for social justice.  That said, their team name is cardinal after the color not bird I guess.  The tree is the unofficial band mascot.  In the end try and find a mascot more offensive to all of humanity than this:

IMG_8867%20trees%2010-25-2014%20stanford

I would suggest a class action suit, but dividing the suit among all 7 billion people won't get me very far.  Thanks Happy for wrecking my day....

18 hours ago, Mike Morgan said:

California? Other than Stanford, there are a dozen other notable schools that have changed their mascots, none of them were from CA. Three are from NY.

Eastern Michigan Hurons  Eagles

Miami (Ohio) Redskins  RedHawks

St. John (NY) Redmen Red Storm

Syracuse (NY) Orangemen Orange

Dartmouth (NH) Indians  Big Green

UMass Redmen  Minutemen

Siena (NY)  Indians   Saints

Marquette (WI)  Warriors  Golden Eagles

Seattle (WA)  Chieftains  Redhawks

Louisiana-Monroe Indians  Warhawks

Arkansas State Indians  Red Wolves

North Dakota Sioux tbd

I think Illinois, Utah and SDSU are the lone hold outs.  Pretty cool.  

3 hours ago, StAz said:

I agree with Bob here.  It was acceptable behavior back then and you accepted it.  

And if what you were a part of 20 years is racist, how about the cartoon above by Lalo.  He shows a big fat, buck toothed white guy dressed like an Indian.  While the cartoon does not offend me, it is every bit as racist as what you guys did 20 years ago.

These are two terribly flawed arguments.

First, “he’s racist too!” doesn’t excuse being racist.  In fact, you’re unknowingly admitting that it can be construed as racist. 

Second, because it was okay 20 years ago doesn’t mean it’s okay today. What if 20 years after slavery someone would have made that same argument?

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

37 minutes ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

Hey, I don't need you poking any holes in my get rich quick schemes crusade for social justice.  That said, their team name is cardinal after the color not bird I guess.  The tree is the unofficial band mascot.  In the end try and find a mascot more offensive to all of humanity than this:

IMG_8867%20trees%2010-25-2014%20stanford

I would suggest a class action suit, but dividing the suit among all 7 billion people won't get me very far.  Thanks Happy for wrecking my day....

It's the color red. RED! THEIR MASCOT IS RED!

How has Mountain Dew not sued them for copyright infringement?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

It's the color red. RED! THEIR MASCOT IS RED!

How has Mountain Dew not sued them for copyright infringement?

Dammit Happy, the tree look at that tree.  I don't care what the mascot/nickname/unofficial person in costume is, somebody needs to pay for that abomination.  Stanford should be relegated to Div 3 football until they abolish that thing and erase all evidence that it ever existed.

Edit - I posted the earlier one from my phone.  I didn't realize til just now looking at a larger image that there are two of those things.  Are those things reproducing?

20 minutes ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

Dammit Happy, the tree look at that tree.  I don't care what the mascot/nickname/unofficial person in costume is, somebody needs to pay for that abomination.  Stanford should be relegated to Div 3 football until they abolish that thing and erase all evidence that it ever existed.

Edit - I posted the earlier one from my phone.  I didn't realize til just now looking at a larger image that there are two of those things.  Are those things reproducing?

RED! THEIR MASCOT IS RED! THEY CHOSE TO BE A WAVELENGTH AND HAVE THAT THING THAT LOOKS LIKE THE ABORTION OF A NORSE GOD JUST AS A BONUS!

2 minutes ago, happycamper said:

RED! THEIR MASCOT IS RED! THEY CHOSE TO BE A WAVELENGTH AND HAVE THAT THING THAT LOOKS LIKE THE ABORTION OF A NORSE GOD JUST AS A BONUS!

Not even thing, it is THINGS!  

Alright how about this.  Not only do we sue them for the emotional distress the tree things causes, but also red is a bad  bad color.  So much stress I like totally can't even...

1 hour ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

These are two terribly flawed arguments.

First, “he’s racist too!” doesn’t excuse being racist.  In fact, you’re unknowingly admitting that it can be construed as racist. 

Second, because it was okay 20 years ago doesn’t mean it’s okay today. What if 20 years after slavery someone would have made that same argument?

You seem to read or interpret everything backwards TTT...

First...Lalo is a racist in these times (2017), accusing everybody else of being racist.  That is an idiot or a racist at the highest level.

Second...It is the same argument TTT...At one time slavery was accepted.  I didn't say it was right, I said accepted..  Now it isn't.  My comment stands and it is the same comparison that I used with Lalo.

16 minutes ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

Not even thing, it is THINGS!  

Alright how about this.  Not only do we sue them for the emotional distress the tree things causes, but also red is a bad  bad color.  So much stress I like totally can't even...

Nah, it's one tree. That other one is just a sucker that wasn't plucked (uh... firs do that, right?).