Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fido

No more Aztecs?

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/education/sd-me-sdsu-mascot-20171108-story.html

The move to do away with San Diego State University’s Aztec mascot has resurfaced, taking opponents and even some supporters by surprise.

The latest gyration in the yearslong dispute occurred Tuesday night when the University Senate overwhelmingly voted to retire the Aztec Warrior and related symbols, 52-14.

Just seven months ago the Associated Students council agreed to keep the mascot and logo by a narrow vote of 14-12.

The Senate resolution, which is non-binding and is an advisory to the university president, called to do away with the human representation of an Aztec and the use of spears or other “weapons that connote barbaric representations of the Aztec culture.”

10 minutes ago, AndroidAggie said:

So they should do a Mesoamerican Temple replete with a human heart still beating while its victim takes her final last few gasps of breath?  Instead of the barbaric spear?

misogynist :P

This whole thing is ridiculous. I doubt it goes anywhere either.

I am for  renaming us the British Raj myself . Red coats  casing brown people around the field. The chant colonized them Raj Colonize them !

"Everything that does not destroy you makes you stronger except Aztec Football "

Freddy Nietzsche

1 hour ago, Limebull said:

It's California, what did you guys expect? Bunch of loonies. FSU puts that Seminole spear literally everywhere. 

California? Other than Stanford, there are a dozen other notable schools that have changed their mascots, none of them were from CA. Three are from NY.

Eastern Michigan Hurons  Eagles

Miami (Ohio) Redskins  RedHawks

St. John (NY) Redmen Red Storm

Syracuse (NY) Orangemen Orange

Dartmouth (NH) Indians  Big Green

UMass Redmen  Minutemen

Siena (NY)  Indians   Saints

Marquette (WI)  Warriors  Golden Eagles

Seattle (WA)  Chieftains  Redhawks

Louisiana-Monroe Indians  Warhawks

Arkansas State Indians  Red Wolves

North Dakota Sioux tbd

Champ Logo.jpg

3 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

It’s just a political cartoon that i saw a while back that I think depicts the “I’m honoring you” argument well.  You’re not honoring anyone, guy. It’s an asinine justification. 

And it’s not just the fans of the team either. Our hated rival back in my high school days were the Burroughs Indians, as @GoldenEagleAztec knows. I vividly remember a banner drawn by our most creative cheerleader, displayed at homecoming, of an Indian man, apple in his mouth, turning on a spit with a Bulldog biting his ass. No one even thought twice about it back then. I actually loved it. Looking back on it, not so much- l feel pretty ashamed. 

Now, the Aztecs are an extinct culture, so you’re dealing with a different set of circumstances. I’ve never met a Latino who was offended by the Aztec mascot, but I’m sure there are some out there. I know that if I felt like I had deep cultural ties to a culture, I wouldn’t appreciate guys like Rev representing it the way they do. 

I’m not saying do things one way or another. I have no fight in the debate. But, it is something I have learned to empathize with more as I’ve gotten older rather than give them the ol’, “stop being an overly sensitive pussy” yell back.  

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

18 minutes ago, Bob said:

Don't be an over sensitive pussy. 

I agree with Bob here.  It was acceptable behavior back then and you accepted it.  

And if what you were a part of 20 years is racist, how about the cartoon above by Lalo.  He shows a big fat, buck toothed white guy dressed like an Indian.  While the cartoon does not offend me, it is every bit as racist as what you guys did 20 years ago.

15 hours ago, Mike Morgan said:

California? Other than Stanford, there are a dozen other notable schools that have changed their mascots, none of them were from CA. Three are from NY.

Eastern Michigan Hurons  Eagles

Miami (Ohio) Redskins  RedHawks

St. John (NY) Redmen Red Storm

Syracuse (NY) Orangemen Orange

Dartmouth (NH) Indians  Big Green

UMass Redmen  Minutemen

Siena (NY)  Indians   Saints

Marquette (WI)  Warriors  Golden Eagles

Seattle (WA)  Chieftains  Redhawks

Louisiana-Monroe Indians  Warhawks

Arkansas State Indians  Red Wolves

North Dakota Sioux tbd

I really don't get the Huron name change.  I mean there were actual Hurons in Michigan unlike say a certain large weasel or ancient greek warriors.

The one above that I think was a significant improvement is probably UMass.  Minutemen fits well with the state.  

Although not college, another logo I would not be surprised to change is the Chicago Blackhawks.  The name comes from the nickname of a WWI division whose patch was a black hawk and was named after a Sauk Chief.  So the NHL team is named after a WWI division but uses an Sauk Chieftan head logo, the Division is named after an Sauk Cheiftan but uses a black bird logo...  

150px-86_Inf_Div_SSI.jpg  

4 minutes ago, Bob said:

If anyone actually gets offended by a sports mascot they are pussies of the highest order

How can one not be offended by a balding, dwarf Lincoln as a representative of the Irish?  

51VnHFiXBXL._SY300_.jpg