Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HRam

Fire Bobo

22 minutes ago, kingpotato said:

I told CSU fans this when they hired him. They told me I was wrong. Most of the internet ire leading up to and after the Boise/Georgia game seemed to be directed at Bobo. I was very surprised when they hired him.

That said, they've been over .500 every year and will likely be so again this year... so he hasn't been that bad. 

I heard all the same things you seem to have heard. I chalked most of it up to rabid UGA fans, but I have grown to believe that Bobo coaches from a tepid, restrained outlook on the game. It's that or he really doesn't think Nick Stevens can operate a passing game, at which point, I have to ask why Bobo keeps trotting him out there every weekend?

I think the problem is 7-5 for the last three (I'm figuring a loss to Boise and win SJSU... god I hope that's the case, for this season) isn't really showing growth. Sure. Over .500 and to a bowl, but to me that's stagnant. I'd like to see growth and I haven't.

20 hours ago, AKram said:

I heard all the same things you seem to have heard. I chalked most of it up to rabid UGA fans, but I have grown to believe that Bobo coaches from a tepid, restrained outlook on the game. It's that or he really doesn't think Nick Stevens can operate a passing game, at which point, I have to ask why Bobo keeps trotting him out there every weekend?

I think the problem is 7-5 for the last three (I'm figuring a loss to Boise and win SJSU... god I hope that's the case, for this season) isn't really showing growth. Sure. Over .500 and to a bowl, but to me that's stagnant. I'd like to see growth and I haven't.

This is exactly why I've lost all motivation for this year.

This was supposed to be the year they stepped up and had championship aspirations. This was the year that they were talking about winning a championship and going undefeated. We win the first 4 conference games. Last two were iffy, but hey they're still wins. Then they go out and lose the two biggest games of the season.

I'm ok with going 7-5 if you're a team that's gone 3-9, 4-8, 5-7 etc. It shows improvement. This team seems to be worse than last years team, and is completely crumbling down the stretch.

We can only beat bad teams. 7-5 is not that great if you beat 0 teams that have a winning record. Bobo has only ever been able to beat bad teams. He (assuming we lose to BSU and beat SJSU) has 21 wins in 3 years, with a grand total of 2 over a team that finished above .500. 

There was improvement from Bobo year 1 to year 2. Not this year. Same old CSU. Can't win big games, can't win rivalry games.

I know he's not playing Hill to keep his redshirt, but I honestly don't know if it will matter if we play him 3 more years or only 2. If Bobo and company can't figure out how to win games that matter, it's worthless.

We will probably win Saturday since there's no pressure and it will just make us more depressed as to what could have been.

3 hours ago, HylianHero said:

This is exactly why I've lost all motivation for this year.

This was supposed to be the year they stepped up and had championship aspirations. This was the year that they were talking about winning a championship and going undefeated. We win the first 4 conference games. Last two were iffy, but hey they're still wins. Then they go out and lose the two biggest games of the season.

I'm ok with going 7-5 if you're a team that's gone 3-9, 4-8, 5-7 etc. It shows improvement. This team seems to be worse than last years team, and is completely crumbling down the stretch.

We can only beat bad teams. 7-5 is not that great if you beat 0 teams that have a winning record. Bobo has only ever been able to beat bad teams. He (assuming we lose to BSU and beat SJSU) has 21 wins in 3 years, with a grand total of 2 over a team that finished above .500. 

There was improvement from Bobo year 1 to year 2. Not this year. Same old CSU. Can't win big games, can't win rivalry games.

I know he's not playing Hill to keep his redshirt, but I honestly don't know if it will matter if we play him 3 more years or only 2. If Bobo and company can't figure out how to win games that matter, it's worthless.

We will probably win Saturday since there's no pressure and it will just make us more depressed as to what could have been.

I went through and here are the wins against  +/-.500 teams

2015 2-5 (wins against AF[8-6] and NM[7-6])

2016 3-3[4] (wins against UNC Greeley[6-5], NM[9-4], SDSU[11-3])  UTSA was 6-6 going into their Bowl game, finished with losing record

2017 0-5[6] (USU is at 5-5... they could still finish +.500 with wins vs. Haw. and at AF). 

Right now, Bobo's wins against teams finishing +.500 is 5. Against 15 wins to -.500 teams. Yuck. And counting a win against 6-5 UNC Greeley is a real sad way to "pad" the stats.

1 minute ago, AKram said:

2016 3-3[4] (wins against UNC Greeley[6-5], NM[9-4], SDSU[11-3])  UTSA was 6-6 going into their Bowl game, finished with losing record

2017 0-5[6] (USU is at 5-5... they could still finish +.500 with wins vs. Haw. and at AF). 

Right now, Bobo's wins against teams finishing +.500 is 5. Against 15 wins to -.500 teams. Yuck. And counting a win against 6-5 UNC Greeley is a real sad way to "pad" the stats.

Yeah, I forgot that UNM was over .500 in 2015, somehow forgot SDSU last year, and wasn't counting UNC last year. USU might make it this year. My apologies on that, I was a little too negative nancy.

So officially before this year we were at 4 (not counting FCS teams). Might be 5 with USU this year. 

It's still disgustingly bad.

3 minutes ago, HylianHero said:

Yeah, I forgot that UNM was over .500 in 2015, somehow forgot SDSU last year, and wasn't counting UNC last year. USU might make it this year. My apologies on that, I was a little too negative nancy.

So officially before this year we were at 4 (not counting FCS teams). Might be 5 with USU this year. 

It's still disgustingly bad.

I wasn't trying to point out a fallacy on your part. I just thought it was a bit higher... I hoped it was much higher. But, like you said. Four. Si. Quatro. Shi. Vier. четыре. No matter the language you can't make it sound good. Bobo and the team have got to do better. Next year will tell.

Bobo is what his record says it is.  He's a C+ head coach so far.  To date, CSU has overpaid for him, but it is not a failure -- yet.  His recruiting has helped outweigh his drawbacks.  He currently reminds me of the younger Rocky Long when he was at NM.  Generally good coach, had some great players, but couldn't quite get over the hump until he went to SDSU.  I think it is an open question whether CSU will have the patience to wait for him to get his act together.  I would not be surprised to see a contract extension for Bobo (and I'm in favor of it for recruiting reasons), but it may be with a reduced buyout should he continue to struggle with his head coaching duties.

48 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Bobo is what his record says it is.  He's a C+ head coach so far.  To date, CSU has overpaid for him, but it is not a failure -- yet.  His recruiting has helped outweigh his drawbacks.  He currently reminds me of the younger Rocky Long when he was at NM.  Generally good coach, had some great players, but couldn't quite get over the hump until he went to SDSU.  I think it is an open question whether CSU will have the patience to wait for him to get his act together.  I would not be surprised to see a contract extension for Bobo (and I'm in favor of it for recruiting reasons), but it may be with a reduced buyout should he continue to struggle with his head coaching duties.

For what it's worth: If Bobo/CSU go 1-1 (most likely scenario) to finish the season, he won't even be able to collect on one of the simpler bonuses of his contract looking at the talent he does have--$25,000 for winning 6 regular season conference games. 

I think if CSU renegotiates a contract/extension, its got to have a clause/bonus attached to winning "trophy" games; maybe that will light a fire under his butt to put his foot on the gas pedal and not let off until the end of the game. I agree with you on an extension if only to see what he can do with the kids he's recruiting. That starts next year--and maybe next year is the gauge with which the Ath. Dept. starts making its decision.

2 hours ago, AKram said:

LMAO, your counting UNC Greeley in 2015!! 

3 hours ago, AKram said:

Sure but if you took any of us would you get much better than this?  Sure, a couple of games better for the top two teams perhaps.  What was this stat for SDSU last year?  SDSU had two wins against teams with winning records, Wyo and Houston.  13 wins and only two vs. teams with winning records.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

12 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Sure but if you took any of us would you get much better than this?  Sure, a couple of games better for the top two teams perhaps.  What was this stat for SDSU last year?  SDSU had two wins against teams with winning records, Wyo and Houston.  13 wins and only two vs. teams with winning records.

Part of that is the fact that SDSU plays in that powerhouse of a division called the MW West. How many teams with winning records did they have on their schedule? Two? Three? Still beat the teams they had to beat. Can't say that for CSU right now.

1 minute ago, AKram said:

Part of that is the fact that SDSU plays in that powerhouse of a division called the MW West. How many teams with winning records did they have on their schedule? Two? Three? Still beat the teams they had to beat. Can't say that for CSU right now.

You guys are the only team we beat with a winning record this fall.  Utah State might end with a record over .500, as you or someone else mentioned above.  AFA could be another (we'd have to beat them and they'd have to beat Boise and Utah State for them to be a win over .500 for us, so that's doubtful in a few ways).  Fresno could be another.

I'm not defending Bobo and CSU here, just saying that your metric doesn't work very well in the MWC - either division.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

Just now, pokebball said:

You guys are the only team we beat with a winning record this fall.  Utah State might end with a record over .500, as you or someone else mentioned above.  AFA could be another (we'd have to beat them and they'd have to beat Boise and Utah State for them to be a win over .500 for us, so that's doubtful in a few ways).  Fresno could be another.

I'm not defending Bobo and CSU here, just saying that your metric doesn't work very well in the MWC - either division.

I understand what you are saying, completely. But, if Bobo is really believing that he'll play for championships then he has to beat the winning teams, something he really hasn't done. Even barely winning record teams. 

You could argue that multiple teams at 7-5 type records means there is parity within the conference. SEC West records right now--9-0, 7-2, 7-2, 6-3, 5-4, 4-5, 4-5. East has four sub .500 teams. Look at the BIG--East with 3 sub and West with four sub. Every football team is going to have wins/losses against sub .500 teams, but year in and year out for "good" teams that changes. To me, looking at the record of stagnant wins/losses doesn't show growth. I think that's that @HylianHero was trying to point out originally, and I amended.  

17 hours ago, AKram said:

I understand what you are saying, completely. But, if Bobo is really believing that he'll play for championships then he has to beat the winning teams, something he really hasn't done. Even barely winning record teams. 

You could argue that multiple teams at 7-5 type records means there is parity within the conference. SEC West records right now--9-0, 7-2, 7-2, 6-3, 5-4, 4-5, 4-5. East has four sub .500 teams. Look at the BIG--East with 3 sub and West with four sub. Every football team is going to have wins/losses against sub .500 teams, but year in and year out for "good" teams that changes. To me, looking at the record of stagnant wins/losses doesn't show growth. I think that's that @HylianHero was trying to point out originally, and I amended.  

That is well put. I wanted to see growth from the team this year (we've still never beaten Boise, this was supposed to be the year we had a chance). Of course you can only play who's on your schedule, but who are the teams that are most likely to have winning records that you play against? P5 schools, Bowl games, Boise, Wyo, AFA, for the Mountain Division. Bobo has shown no ability to beat those teams, and we aren't even getting closer to beating them (AFA was a disaster this year, with a much worse team than last year).

We continue to be great at beating the Hawaii, SJSU, Nevada, UNLVs of the world, but do not show anything against the teams that are consistently at the top of the conference.

This thread exemplifies why CSU football has potential whereas SJSU football has none. CSU fans demand production from their coaches. Most of the 10K fans SJSU still has (and the number is clearly diminishing) make excuses for the failures of their coaches. Sadly and amazingly, it's been the culture in San Jose for many years.

Boom goes the dynamite.

5 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

This thread exemplifies why CSU football has potential whereas SJSU football has none. CSU fans demand production from their coaches. Most of the 10K fans SJSU still has (and the number is clearly diminishing) make excuses for the failures of their coaches. Sadly and amazingly, it's been the culture in San Jose for many years.

It's pretty amazing to see all of us demand this while thinking that 5 years ago we were coming off 6 our of 7 years of 4-8 or worse. Now we all want serious changes after only getting 7 wins. 

It's important for coaches to be held accountable if you want to be successful. It's what eventually got Sonny Lubick fired. He might still be here if he would have gotten rid of some coordinators. 

3 hours ago, HylianHero said:

It's pretty amazing to see all of us demand this while thinking that 5 years ago we were coming off 6 our of 7 years of 4-8 or worse. Now we all want serious changes after only getting 7 wins. 

It's important for coaches to be held accountable if you want to be successful. It's what eventually got Sonny Lubick fired. He might still be here if he would have gotten rid of some coordinators. 

Sonny was better than Steve Fairchild. Bobo is done in my opinion. I see no reason to give him another year unless you want to see if he can get worse.

On 11/6/2017 at 4:51 PM, pokebball said:

Boise has 12 against .500+ teams in that time frame, and two more against 6-7 Bowl teams. Just sayin'... :rolleyes:

... and SDSU had only 11 wins.. Which means, that if what you said was true, none of their regular season wins were over .500+ teams.

11 hours ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

This thread exemplifies why every team other than SJSU has potential. Every team has at least moderate support. Every team lives up to it's fiscal promises. CSU fans demand production. BSU fans demand production. SDSU fans demand production. +++++, even us lowly Wyoming fans demand production. They are an anchor, despite their population and potential. It's sad. But still, +++++ em.

19 minutes ago, trl87 said:

This thread exemplifies why every team other than SJSU has potential. Every team has at least moderate support. Every team lives up to it's fiscal promises. CSU fans demand production. BSU fans demand production. SDSU fans demand production. +++++, even us lowly Wyoming fans demand production. They are an anchor, despite their population and potential. It's sad. But still, +++++ em.

Hate to be the hater, but your right about SJSU.  I don't consider Wyo fans "lowly" though.  Well, at least not most of them.