Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ExplorerSunDevil

"College Football isnt as fun as it used to be because __________"

TV money. It has caused conference expansion. Ignoring rivalries and tradition for the almighty dollar.  The B10 now goes all the way to New Jersey.  West Virginia in the B12. West coast schools with 7:30 kickoffs. All for TV. 

What I have always loved about college football is the traditions, pageantry and rivalries. It's not the same with Texas A&M not in the same conference as Texas. And that's one of many examples. 

2 hours ago, Warbow said:

1. There just to many damn FBS schools. Maybe put an attendance minimum average to weed out the D-1 pretenders. Hear that San Jose St.

2. Expand the play-offs. Every conference champion gets an entry invite. That will even out the playing field when it comes to recruiting.

3. College football as whole should control the national TV rights for all of the FBS schools. Like the NFL does. The money then should be divided equally between all conferences. The conference will then distribute the money to its members based on the amount of TV appearances if they choose too or equal shares. All tier 3 rights go to the individual school.

The “Power” 5 would never agree to that 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

1 minute ago, mugtang said:

The “Power” 5 would never agree to that 

I think that's kind of how it used to be isn't it?  Like in the seventies and early eighties.   Then some of the schools broke off because the money sucked.  Then the regional cable contracts started like prime ticket, and they'd pick up conferences games that didn't make the national cut.

The $$$ has destroyed it. It has created the P5/G5 rift. It has caused coaches to jump all over chasing dollars. It has caused horrible start times and weekday games. It has deprived many schools of a chance at fair competition.

Money really is the root of all evil in college football. I'm honestly ready for a divisional shift to happen where we can just be in our own division with the schools who have the same resources as us and we don't have to worry about bad TV contracts and body-bag games. Some P5 schools should probably be relegated there too.

Along with all the commercialization in P5 (and as a result, very little exposure to G5 schools), I hate constantly being force-fed the same teams and the same matchups on national TV.  The games that might actually be interesting to those of us in the West are relegated to obscure channels that I may (or may not) have in my cable package and/or obscure starting times.  It is to the point that if it isn't MWC, I'm not watching.

The P5/G5 rift. This is extremely easy to see in all aspects. The easiest way to see it is in college basketball. What was the magic of the tournament? It was the Cinderella teams beating big bad Duke/UNC/Kentucky. Nowadays none of the mid-majors even get bids to the tournament. All of these go to the P5 teams because they "play a tougher schedule". Heck Vanderbilt made it last year and went 18-17 or whatever. The system is rigged against smaller schools getting any exposure. This is ruining college sports.

As everyone else is saying, the TV aspect of these games. G5 games are ads for the P5 matchup for the weekend. The P5 matchup is just ads for some other company. It's much less fun to drive 1-2 hours, sit for 4.5 hours at a game that starts at 8:30, and drive home to make it home between 1-2 AM.

The NFL has sucked recently, so football fans aren't paying as much attention to college games either.

If you are content to watch TV weekday night games you're probably fine with what's going on. Personally I enjoyed having a large Saturday tailgate rain, snow or sunny in the late morning or afternoon daylight.Friday night games all but eliminate a decent tailgate due to many football fans work schedules. Lets face it those day games have been greatly reduced due to the lure of TV income. I have heard comments from some Boise St fans late night games have messed up the tailgate experience, they are not alone. Two weeks ago Nevada played AF on a Friday night at homecoming. Even though the game was entertaining to watch, we had no tailgate because many struggled to get to the 6:30 pm kickoff. The TV media now controls the fate of college football scheduling, sometimes I wonder if the $$ is worth becoming their puppets.

College football is more fun for me than before.  

Why?  Schools in the MW can play in a Major Bowl.  Something that wasn't possible before and because of that I was more interested in the PAC and who is going to the Rose Bowl.  Now, I can focus more on the MW conference which has a chance to play in a Fiesta/ Cotton or Peach Bowls.  

It's even better to me with the MW now consolidated as the only other FBS conference in the West with more longer term potential to be a power conference.  

The digital age is allowing me to view MW games online without cable and with a new OTA sports station called Stadium, I'll be able to view G5 schools on TV.  I've enjoyed watching CUSA schools play on Stadium and the MW volleyball and Soccer games.....I hope that the next TV contract will have Stadium play a bigger part of the MW TV contract so I can see MW football games OTA also.  

(And frankly....I could care less about the TV $$....I care if I can see the game and at a reasonable time.)

It's just as fun as ever if you accept the gap between the P5 and G5, meaning not expecting schools with $30-40M budgets to realistically compete with those double that or more.  College football still has the feeling of being a kid's game with players having fun and letting their emotions show, especially at the G5 and lower P5 level.  The NFL, and i still enjoy watching my team, feels like pure business.  I do like the fact that they let NFL players celebrate now more without penalty.  It is a game after all.

2 hours ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Because I'm old and the players represent physical manifestations of my failures.

That's heavy brother - are sure it's not because your football program just sucks really, really bad?  I'll bet you could bring the lumber if you played for the Spartans.  To be honest, our football program sucks really, really bad as well, so I can throw that into the equation as well. 

4 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

College football is more fun for me than before.  

Why?  Schools in the MW can play in a Major Bowl.  Something that wasn't possible before and because of that I was more interested in the PAC and who is going to the Rose Bowl.  Now, I can focus more on the MW conference which has a chance to play in a Fiesta/ Cotton or Peach Bowls.  

It's even better to me with the MW now consolidated as the only other FBS conference in the West with more longer term potential to be a power conference.  

The digital age is allowing me to view MW games online without cable and with a new OTA sports station called Stadium, I'll be able to view G5 schools on TV.  I've enjoyed watching CUSA schools play on Stadium and the MW volleyball and Soccer games.....I hope that the next TV contract will have Stadium play a bigger part of the MW TV contract so I can see MW football games OTA also.  

(And frankly....I could care less about the TV $$....I care if I can see the game and at a reasonable time.)

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Bob said:

P5/G5 rubbish

Ummm.......can somebody please explain to me how things were different before we use the P5/G5 labels?

2 minutes ago, Bob said:

the difference is like a bajillion dollars. Imagine what your school could do with an extra 20mil/yr or whatever is it that P5s 

Hello, the schools who are now "labeled P5" have always had way more $$$$$.

And for the most part have all been playing at the top levels of college athletics for a lot longer.