Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fido

American maybe is P6? Dominating rankings for P5

6 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Wat

I meant, "as an upper-echelon" conference, at least with potentail...you've got Memphis, UConn, Cincy, and Wichita State, all who could potentially be solid NCAA tournament teams. I guess I wrote that wrong. 

As a whole, it's pretty shitty, but at the top, it's not too bad. I guess that makes them a 3rd World Country in college basketball...some pretty good, others really terrible, nothing in between. 

4 minutes ago, 406WarriorFan said:

I meant, "as an upper-echelon" conference, at least with potentail...you've got Memphis, UConn, Cincy, and Wichita State, all who could potentially be solid NCAA tournament teams. I guess I wrote that wrong. 

As a whole, it's pretty shitty, but at the top, it's not too bad. I guess that makes them a 3rd World Country in college basketball...some pretty good, others really terrible, nothing in between. 

It is certainly a good conference.  Adding Wichita State was a boon for basketball.

8 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

It is certainly a good conference.  Adding Wichita State was a boon for basketball.

Definitely. If Memphis can ever get its shit back together, you have 4 potential Final Four teams, in UConn, WSU, Memphis, and Cincy. Not exactly the old Big East or current ACC, but not the Sun Belt either. 

1 minute ago, 406WarriorFan said:

Definitely. If Memphis can ever get its shit back together, you have 4 potential Final Four teams, in UConn, WSU, Memphis, and Cincy. Not exactly the old Big East or current ACC, but not the Sun Belt either. 

Cincy will never be a Final Four team with Cronin.  Even his most offensively-gifted team still had issues getting the points.  

13 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Cincy will never be a Final Four team with Cronin.  Even his most offensively-gifted team still had issues getting the points.  

They do seem like one of those teams that comes into the tournament every year with a "sleeper" label, and then promptly shit the bed. Almost an annual occurrence. 

As a Memphis fan I’m just taking it one game at a time...focus on Tulane...then on to Tulsa before I worry about SMU.

I’m going to just expect the Birmingham Bowl...that way I won’t be too disappointed should we skip along the way.

the entire notion of Memphis playing in a game like the Peach Bowl is foreign to me, lol...I still remember 1-11 under Larry Porter.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 hour ago, 406WarriorFan said:

SMU has also become quite the hoops program and Kelvin Sampson and Houston have a lot of potential as well.

as for Memphis, we won 19 games and knocked off a Final Four squad in South Carolina...so we’re not terrible

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Just now, UofMTigers said:

SMU has also become quite the hoops program and Kelvin Sampson and Houston have a lot of potential as well.

as for Memphis, we won 19 games and knocked off a Final Four squad in South Carolina...so we’re not terrible

I forgot about Houston. 

Memphis just seems like they're middling along since they're not getting a ton of big recruits or playing for it all like they were in the Calipari years. 

2 minutes ago, 406WarriorFan said:

I forgot about Houston. 

Memphis just seems like they're middling along since they're not getting a ton of big recruits or playing for it all like they were in the Calipari years. 

Honestly, that was my issue with Pastner...his recruiting dropped off dramatically to the point where he had to hire a players dad to get them.

I like Tubby a lot as dude can coach his ass off...that said, he has to get these Memphis kids...I don’t expect him to be some amazing coast-to-coast recruiter but own your back yard...all you gotta do is drive around town to see these kids.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

1 minute ago, UofMTigers said:

Honestly, that was my issue with Pastner...his recruiting dropped off dramatically to the point where he had to hire a players dad to get them.

I like Tubby a lot as dude can coach his ass off...that said, he has to get these Memphis kids...I don’t expect him to be some amazing coast-to-coast recruiter but own your back yard...all you gotta do is drive around town to see these kids.

Pastner's recruiting sucked, then Tubby had those brothers (whose names escape me) leave during his first year, I believe...though I'm probably wrong. 

Memphis has all the potential to be a powerhouse, as we saw during the Calipari years. It's got a great location, a solid school, and an NBA facility they play in...they just have to capitalize on it. 

1 minute ago, 406WarriorFan said:

Pastner's recruiting sucked, then Tubby had those brothers (whose names escape me) leave during his first year, I believe...though I'm probably wrong. 

Memphis has all the potential to be a powerhouse, as we saw during the Calipari years. It's got a great location, a solid school, and an NBA facility they play in...they just have to capitalize on it. 

Those were the kids I was talking about.

Pastner hired their dad to be an asst just to get them.

Tubby wouldn’t put up with that crap and refused to keep him as an asst so they transferred at the end of the season.

Tubby doesn’t play games...that hurts him on the recruiting trail.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

On 10/22/2017 at 6:45 PM, Jack Bauer said:

You can get good exposure at any school.  The Florida G5 teams have better exposure than the lower tier P5 teams.  They're P5 because of money and because they control it all.  Nobody else is getting in the club.

Not really. Who was the last g5 heisman winner? Detmer? You need lots of exposure for top awards. G5 players barely get any pub, you know this.

If Purdue and Indiana are good, they'll get way more pub than any g5. They don't much get pub cause they always blow.

On 10/22/2017 at 6:49 PM, Slapdad said:

First of all, if you think that playing in the Raiders stadium will fix UNLV, you're way off base. In fact, it may be more of a liability than an asset...ask SDSU. Second, market size matters little if a team isn't winning, especially if the main reason is to have teams that are winning. The geography of the conference will doom it before anything else though. 

Sdsu is one of the top g5s in the last ten years, it hasn't hurt that much

Unlv will be playing in the nicest CFB stadium in the country. Different situation.

Nev, sjsu, and WYO are dead cfb weight. The 7 western schools I listed(8 if n.m. gets in)need to look at forming a best of the rest, its their only hope.

8 minutes ago, topdogteddy said:

Not really. Who was the last g5 heisman winner? Detmer? You need lots of exposure for top awards. G5 players barely get any pub, you know this.

If Purdue and Indiana are good, they'll get way more pub than any g5. They don't much get pub cause they always blow.

G5 guys get run for Heisman.  They don't win it often because the best players usually go to the better schools.  You know this.  Kellen Moore finished third or fourth despite some pretty great numbers.  He lost out to a guy named Cam Newton, who also led Auburn to an unbeaten season and NC that year.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

8 minutes ago, topdogteddy said:

Unlv will be playing in the nicest CFB stadium in the country. Different situation.

Nev, sjsu, and WYO are dead cfb weight. The 7 western schools I listed(8 if n.m. gets in)need to look at forming a best of the rest, its their only hope.

Ask most sdsu fans if they would rather play in The Murph or in their own stadium. SDSU is has succeeded in spite of where they played, not because of it. And, their success has been off and on......just like all teams.  If you think anyone in Vegas will care about UNLV when the Raiders come to town when they barely do now, then.....okay. 

If the American truly wanted to create the best of the rest they would have to do a complete overhaul of the conference through reorganization: 

EAST: 

Memphis, Navy, *Army, USF, UCF, Cincinnati, ECU/Temple/Connecticut

WEST:

Boise State, Colorado State, Air Force, Houston, SMU, SDSU, Tulsa/BYU

Would give the conference the Commanders and Chief trophy and the Army vs Navy game along with programs who over the years have put good products on the field and some good Tv markets. 

From a purely financial standpoint the AAC and MWC would probably be best off by just breaking the conference apart and forming new smaller conferences with 8-9 members. Play a full round-robin schedule and instead of playing a CCG have those to conference champs play each other for a bid to the access bowl. 

6 hours ago, topdogteddy said:

Calling Nevada, SJSU, and Wyoming cfb dead weight, while advocating adding UNLV is laughable. Obviously UNLV has good basketball, but they have the worst football program/history of any team in the MW or AAC.