Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fido

American maybe is P6? Dominating rankings for P5

2 hours ago, RogueStout said:

More surprising is that SDSU is receiving votes.

:huh:

We shouldnt be, but not crazy. We are 6-2, and so is Stanford. Some people find it hard to have two teams with the same record  and to put the losing team in front of them. The Arizona State win matters as well. 

3 hours ago, Fido said:

Reviewing the AP standings as of week 9 for the access bowl, the American has 3 ranked teams (#17 South Florida, #18 UCF, and #24 Memphis).  No other G5 conference has any teams ranked.  Others receiving votes include San Diego State (7), Toledo (1), and Marshall (1).  Does the AAC have this pretty much locked up?

Sure, the ACCESS BOWL is almost theirs. However, they will still end up with only one team in the CFP Playoff poll at the end. It is the life of the G5.

1 hour ago, topdogteddy said:

P5s are p5s because of exposure. Exposure gets them recruits. Its why a Florida recruit will often pick Nebraska over USF!

Recruits care about exposure the most, and p5s own all the good exposure. Best of the rest with an NBC contract is the only way to break through.

Well see

You can get good exposure at any school.  The Florida G5 teams have better exposure than the lower tier P5 teams.  They're P5 because of money and because they control it all.  Nobody else is getting in the club.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 hour ago, topdogteddy said:

Look at markets, attendance, and potential. Its easy to spot the right fits.

Utah state and ecu are good products but theyre screwed cause their markets are over saturated. Sjsu, nev, and wyo are too small time. Here are the best 14

Fresno*

Sdsu*

CSU*

Unlv[2billion dollar stadium will fix football]

BYU*

Air force[national appeal]

Boise*

Ucf*

USF*

SMU*

Houston*

Cincinnati*

Navy[national appeal]

Memphis [FedEx money]

*= obvious choice

Need 16 teams?

Pick two out of these

Temple

Niu

UConn

New mexico

First of all, if you think that playing in the Raiders stadium will fix UNLV, you're way off base. In fact, it may be more of a liability than an asset...ask SDSU. Second, market size matters little if a team isn't winning, especially if the main reason is to have teams that are winning. The geography of the conference will doom it before anything else though. 

3 hours ago, UofMTigers said:

If Memphis doesn't get the Access bowl, I want the winner of UT/Vandy in the Birmingham bowl...with some state bragging rights on the line!

I want SMU to beat y'all, and then beat UCF/USF in the AACCG. That way if Fresno/Boise/CSU go undefeated the rest of the way, one of those three will likely get the NY6 bowl. :P 

3 hours ago, RogueStout said:

More surprising is that SDSU is receiving votes.

:huh:

44 minutes ago, fanhood said:

We shouldnt be, but not crazy. We are 6-2, and so is Stanford. Some people find it hard to have two teams with the same record  and to put the losing team in front of them. The Arizona State win matters as well. 

It was more that a couple of voters were not paying attention to SDSU, just voting because that was what others had done before.

Dave Foster at WZTV in Nashville voted SDSU at #20. Today he is saying:

https://twitter.com/DaveFoster17/status/922170378587377666

54 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

You can get good exposure at any school.  The Florida G5 teams have better exposure than the lower tier P5 teams.  They're P5 because of money and because they control it all.  Nobody else is getting in the club.

Yep.  Actually football results matter little.  

Posted Image

5 hours ago, BacksThePack said:

Are we sure Fresno is good? I'm not.

good for the MW? YES

good as in "top 25" I would say no. Our only decent win is SDSU. You could explain that away a bit (Fresno is better vs run heavy teams this year, SDSU had their dreams crushed the previous week). You can ignore the AL lost cause everyone loses to them by a bunch. But if we were top 25 caliber the Washington game would have been much closer. Sure that was pre QB change but it was still a blowout. 

I would call us top 50 for now which is still a heck of a lot better than last year. It is also good enough to finish the regular season 9-3 and go to the MW champ game. 

9 hours ago, FresnoFacts said:

It was more that a couple of voters were not paying attention to SDSU, just voting because that was what others had done before.

Dave Foster at WZTV in Nashville voted SDSU at #20. Today he is saying:

https://twitter.com/DaveFoster17/status/922170378587377666

I am Jack’s Total lack of surprise.

Funny how they make being on the West Coast sound like a virus to cover for the fact that they are incompetent at doing their jobs.

lamb-with-human-face-150331-670.jpg?itok

1 hour ago, slappy said:

Said it then and will say it again. Big mistake by both.  Very poor decision to return.  

BSU and SDSU simply don’t fit in the AAC...it doesn’t make geographical sense at all.

i didn’t support it then, and I still don’t.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

59 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

BSU and SDSU simply don’t fit in the AAC...it doesn’t make geographical sense at all.

i didn’t support it then, and I still don’t.

It would've made geographical sense with a true Western Division (and would've been sweet for TV with multiple Time Zones and the ability for multiple non-overlapping conference games!). 

AAC needed more than BSU and SDSU as outliers...

Not P6 but definitely the best G5 conference.

13 hours ago, retrofade said:

I want SMU to beat y'all, and then beat UCF/USF in the AACCG. That way if Fresno/Boise/CSU go undefeated the rest of the way, one of those three will likely get the NY6 bowl. :P 

memphis would be 11-2 with wins versus a top 10 ucf or usf/ucla/navy....memphis would still comfortably get it..smu is 4-2 and a win vs memphis would get them top 25 votes, it wouldnt even be seen as a bad loss (in the g5 perspective)

3 hours ago, RogueStout said:

I am Jack’s Total lack of surprise.

Funny how they make being on the West Coast sound like a virus to cover for the fact that they are incompetent at doing their jobs.

That AP voter probably confused SDSU and SJSU (which had the bye week). The East Coast view that West Coast teams are all the same.

Good point that the Access Bowl is the Peach Bowl this year.  UCF is probably the favorite againt USF based on the games I've seen, but it should be a great rivalry game regardless of the winner.   Memphis should be able to hold on to the AAC West and win the championship and the Acccess Bowl bearth.  imho the Mountain West's season has been pretty exciting at the expense of the Access Bowl bid.  Fresno State's rise balanced out the West and has been a long time coming.

The 'Power 6' talk trying to drum up a better TV contract doesn't really hold up when you look at the ratings.  http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/  Boise State has gotten ratings equivalent to the autonomous conferences a number of times this season (versus New Mexico, Virginia and BYU).

Memphis v UCLA was a very highly rated game but the games versus UCF only earned an estimated 440K viewers + streamers and that was one of the top regular season American matchups on ESPN2.  Memphis versus Uconn was more highly rated the following week than a game featuring two Top 25 caliber teams in UCF and Memphis!  USF versus Illinois did almost as well as Boise State versus Virginia but USF was ranked at the time and Boise has not been ranked this season at all.

CBS Sports has been exclusively broadcasting SDSU games so there is no public data through nielsen or other sources for Sports Media Watch to show us the numbers the Aztecs are earning.  I would argue that UNLV is perceived as so bad that SDSU's sole matchup on ESPN @ UNLV should be set aside because no one thought this would be a competitive game. 

I'm curious what SDSU's games would get on ESPN with regular broadcast like Boise benefited from under the WAC contract and I would imagine so are Disney/ESPN execs looking for better ratings than what the top AAC matchups are giving them.