Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Utah State at UNLV (Homecoming)

34 minutes ago, BleedRebelRed said:

I think that is why it is critical that when CFB staff size increases from 9 to 10 sideline assistants in January that UNLV's addition must be Randall Cunningham.  He's local, he's available, he has connections to Sanchez, he will win favor with the old timers, and he's a perfect fit for QB mentor.

Armani's dad knows what it would mean to have Randall coming in as a mentor.

As for Armani having other opportunities, of course he would... but at most major schools he would be years from seeing the field as a QB.  His passing this season has not been good.  He is only an upgrade from Stanton because of his running ability and hasn't had as many interceptions as Stanton did last season.  In October Rogers has a completion percentage under 45% and and under 5 yards per attempt.  In the pregame show on the radio Tyler Bishop was giving his summary of charting every pass Rogers has made this year and said that he has been no better than Kurt Pallendech was last year, and Kurt is also an able runner.  Coaching may help Rogers - his problem according to Bishop is overthrowing receivers and so I was watching for that in the first half of USU and it appeared to be common.

I agree about Cunningham. He needs to be here. I really,  really hope Sanchez is not stupid enough to bring his brother over as the extra coach when he's got Cunningham right here.

And I heard the pregame conversation as well, and he was mostly right. I haven't seen Rogers connect on a pass downfield yet. Experience will help, but he needs help that he isn't getting now. Also, I think he needs to take a little off some of those bullets he throws, the receivers have to be able to catch them, lol.

6 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Once he kept Baer after last season, Sanchez was on thin ice. Cotton is just as bad, I might have cut him a little slack last year with all the injuries, but he's been on borrowed time as well. At this point just blow it all up. But it won't happen. 

I agree. Baer’s +++++ups overshadows Cottons. Rogers hasn’t shown enough progression as the season went on. The conference is down and we shouldn’t be regressing as the team has been the last couple weeks. 

If we don’t win another game or two, I think that the new A.D. DRF needs to think about negotiating a buyout with Sanchez and start fresh. The new AD has plenty of connections and is more than capable of running a search. 

1 minute ago, Rosegreen said:

I agree. Baer’s +++++ups overshadows Cottons. Rogers hasn’t shown enough progression as the season went on. The conference is down and we shouldn’t be regressing as the team has been the last couple weeks. 

If we don’t win another game or two, I think that the new A.D. DRF needs to think about negotiating a buyout with Sanchez and start fresh. The new AD has plenty of connections and is more than capable of running a search. 

I tend to think that Sanchez will get another year if he makes the changes in his coordinators. But his seat will be very warm next year if he is still here. And I agree about DRF, I think she can get it done.

2 hours ago, ph90702 said:

I would still contend that UNLV is a better brand than Gonzaga.  Gonzaga still has a hard time landing high level American recruits out of high school.

That’s because you’re retarded. 

I will agree that Vegas had one of the great brands in college sports with Tark. But that was a long time ago. 

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

I tend to think that Sanchez will get another year if he makes the changes in his coordinators. But his seat will be very warm next year if he is still here. And I agree about DRF, I think she can get it done.

I think Sanchez gets another year even if he doesn't make any assistant changes.......now the year after next is a question which if Sanchez doesn't make changes is all on him 

Just now, NevadaFan said:

I will agree that Vegas had one of the great brands in college sports with Tark. But that was a long time ago. 

A person has to be a certain age to recall UNLV BB being a T25 program most years

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

I agree about Cunningham. He needs to be here. I really,  really hope Sanchez is not stupid enough to bring his brother over as the extra coach when he's got Cunningham right here.

And I heard the pregame conversation as well, and he was mostly right. I haven't seen Rogers connect on a pass downfield yet. Experience will help, but he needs help that he isn't getting now. Also, I think he needs to take a little off some of those bullets he throws, the receivers have to be able to catch them, lol.

Theus and Cunningham! Has a ring to it? 

#backtothefuture

2 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Winning and being a brand are two separate things.  In baseball, the Yankees are the biggest brand, but they haven’t won the Workd Series since 2009.  In hockey, the Canadiens are the biggest brand.  They have sucked for a while now.

2 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

I think Sanchez gets another year even if he doesn't make any assistant changes.......now the year after next is a question which if Sanchez doesn't make changes is all on him 

Sanchez has underperformed this season. And I think he, and to an extent Polian, benefitted from a HORRIBLE MWC. 

I think next year is critical. Vegas will be veteran and have a returning starter at QB. 

2 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Winning and being a brand are two separate things.  In baseball, the Yankees are the biggest brand, but they haven’t won the Workd Series since 2009.  In hockey, the Canadiens are the biggest brand.  They have sucked for a while now.

When I walk into a sports store back east I’ll see GU garb all over the place. You’d be lucky to find Rebel gear in Reno. The brand isn’t a 1/4 of what it used to be. 

3 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

When I walk into a sports store back east I’ll see GU garb all over the place. You’d be lucky to find Rebel gear in Reno. The brand isn’t a 1/4 of what it used to be. 

UNLV got Puke to come to Las Vegas to play a game.  Gonzaga couldn’t get a neutral site game in Washington against Puke.

Just now, ph90702 said:

UNLV got Puke to come to Las Vegas to play a game.  Gonzaga couldn’t get a neutral site game in Washington against Puke.

Who the f wants to recruit Spokane? Chaminade gets the best teams in America to visit its DII venue. Hawaii gets great OOC games in football? Ya see a pattern? 

25 years ago I’d agree. I’d bet you can’t remember Tark coaching a single game at Vegas. 

47 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Who the f wants to recruit Spokane? Chaminade gets the best teams in America to visit its DII venue. Hawaii gets great OOC games in football? Ya see a pattern? 

25 years ago I’d agree. I’d bet you can’t remember Tark coaching a single game at Vegas.

Until recently, there was little basketball talent in Las Vegas.  It’s becoming so good that Findlay Prep is becoming obsolete.  Amauri Hardy’s younger brother transferred to a public school as opposed to Findlay Prep.  Hawaii is a tourist destination, so they can attract fans.

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

Until recently, there was little basketball talent in Las Vegas.  It’s becoming so good that Findlay Prep is becoming obsolete.  Amauri Hardy’s younger brother transferred to a public school as opposed to Findlay Prep.  Hawaii is a tourist destination, so they can attract fans.

Vegas has always produced good talent. It’s now 2 million people which means there’s more of it. And I agree about Hawaii. Just like Vegas. 

7 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Theus and Cunningham! Has a ring to it? 

#backtothefuture

:foottap:

there's an nfl pro bowler sitting right out here that might be able to help a qb that has many similarities to him. I don't care if he went to school in reno, if he's already right here in vegas why not let him help the kid?

8 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

How would a high school coach know what changes need to be made.  Even worse, how would a high school coach know how to implement change.  

I think this is one of many reasons why everyone laughed at the idea.    It will be a long 2 years until he is fired.  Nobody enjoys the I told you so, this is frustrating. 

45 minutes ago, slappy said:

How would a high school coach know what changes need to be made.  Even worse, how would a high school coach know how to implement change.  

I think this is one of many reasons why everyone laughed at the idea.    It will be a long 2 years until he is fired.  Nobody enjoys the I told you so, this is frustrating

lol. you are not in the least frustrated.

3 hours ago, slappy said:

I think this is one of many reasons why everyone laughed at the idea.    It will be a long 2 years until he is fired.  Nobody enjoys the I told you so, this is frustrating. 

It’s not the how that is the issue. It’s the who.

Who does Sanchez know that can turn this around? I don’t think he has a lot of connections at this level. It’s not like Baer does not know how to scheme or is inexperienced.

It’s a combination of development and poor talent. We need someone that can develop and teach the players fundamentals because you can dial up a great play but it’ll be worthless if your players cannot execute a tackle, properly turn hips to keep up with receiver, execute a swim move to get past OL etc.