Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

Utah State at UNLV (Homecoming)

12 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

And UNLV FB has literally tried every coach move too.

Former player / assistant coach who beat Wisconsin = Wayne Nunnaly

Asst from major program = Jim Strong (Notre Dame) 

Hot offensive head coach poached coach from rival school = Jeff Horton (UNR)

Legendary former USC/NFL head coach = John Robinson

Hot shot OC from hot shot program on rise = Mike Sanford (Utah)

Winning HC from FCS division = Bobby Hauck (Montana)

Winning HC from suddenly prominent HS program = Tony Sanchez (Gorman HS) 

What's next?  A legendary Middle School Coach?

(I feel for Rebel fans. There have always been some pretty good players at UNLV but somehow it never comes together in the form of a winning football team.)

2 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

(I feel for Rebel fans. There have always been some pretty good players at UNLV but somehow it never comes together in the form of a winning football team.)

Vegas has always been a basketball town. No different than a KU or UCLA in that regard. I don’t know why Vegas hasn’t gone all in trying to rebuild its brand in basketball. 

4 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to somewhere that he can get coached up. He's certainly not getting it here.

This season has gone completely sideways on Sanchez, especially with the Howard game. The reason is, he didn’t even evaluate his own staff last summer. Didn’t take Howard seriously. He was already admitting having an eye towards the pac-12. He’s does not have a clue about coaching at this level. 

This was an area of concern last season with the staff and development. Sanchez isn’t a coach, he’s not going to take playcalling duties from anyone because that’s not his forte. He’s not an innovator, just a cheerleader. 

I suspect if Rogers transfers or opens his transfer process because of exposure and desire to be in the nfl. It’ll be very hard to justify keeping Sanchez at that point. 

Bottom line on UNLV: Lots of talent offensively, but a putrid defense. UNLV Coaches didn't adjust to USU playing the run after the first 28 points and 300 yards rushing amassed. Palendech didn't seem like he could throw for shit, and that was a big problem.

UNLV has the talent to be a 6-8 win team this year with better coaching and a semblance of a defense. USU is a bad offense that typically makes bad defenses good. When the opposing defense is just bad enough, it goes the other way: SJSU, ISU, UNLV. 

I think UNLV can be a winning football school, but not with the guy you currently have as HC. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

2 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

Vegas has always been a basketball town. No different than a KU or UCLA in that regard. I don’t know why Vegas hasn’t gone all in trying to rebuild its brand in basketball. 

eh, more of a winning town

easy to say basketball because it does most of the winning. now aau/summer league connections, but in terms of unlv.... people only come out to watch them win. just look at bball attendance lately.

unlv doesn't play in the big12 like kansas, they play in the mwc. fresno was 1-11 last year. unlv could turn it around pretty quick with the right hires but they haven't done so...ever basically

1 hour ago, Rosegreen said:

This season has gone completely sideways on Sanchez, especially with the Howard game. The reason is, he didn’t even evaluate his own staff last summer. Didn’t take Howard seriously. He was already admitting having an eye towards the pac-12. He’s does not have a clue about coaching at this level. 

This was an area of concern last season with the staff and development. Sanchez isn’t a coach, he’s not going to take playcalling duties from anyone because that’s not his forte. He’s not an innovator, just a cheerleader. 

I suspect if Rogers transfers or opens his transfer process because of exposure and desire to be in the nfl. It’ll be very hard to justify keeping Sanchez at that point. 

Once he kept Baer after last season, Sanchez was on thin ice. Cotton is just as bad, I might have cut him a little slack last year with all the injuries, but he's been on borrowed time as well. At this point just blow it all up. But it won't happen. 

14 hours ago, Rosegreen said:

The problem is the people doing the hiring. They don’t look at what or who the coach is bringing to the program. 

I think the closest unlv came to being relevant in CFB was in the J-Rob era where we were ranked a couple times, beat ranked teams, selling out SBS, beat a sec team in a bowl, heisman hype etc. It was a fast turnaround from a winless season from the Horton era. But then it all unraveled pretty fast when Jrob was asked to be AD and clearly that has had an impact on the FB program. 

Since then, we really haven’t had a quality staff around the HC. Sanchez is a HS coach with not a lot of connections at the D1 level and probably why he’s giving Baer and Cotton the long leash. 

I think it’s time to turn the page on this HS experiment. This was supposed to be a weak division and paying Howard 600 grand to make us a national laughingstock on ESPN. Clearly, in his third year, Sanchez is way over his head and can’t coach at this level. Another year or two isn’t going to change that. 

I recall UNLV getting votes early in one of J Robs seasons with JT at QB (think it was coming off the LV bowl season 7 win over Arkansas) but UNLV never cracked the top 25..............best win was beating a ranked Wisconsin in Madison.

J Rob was good for the program in that he brought national attention just because of his history around football...........but even he flamed out and called it quits mid season after UNLV dropped a game (against USU I think) that UNLV should have won - I had season tickets during his years and quite a few fans were getting tired of his bland run offense.....but that's par for the course after seeing the team start to get better & fans wanting more & more 

9 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Once he kept Baer after last season, Sanchez was on thin ice. Cotton is just as bad, I might have cut him a little slack last year with all the injuries, but he's been on borrowed time as well. At this point just blow it all up. But it won't happen. 

If there is going to be assistant coach changes, it will have to be after this season..........Sanchez will be out if he doesn't make some attempt to fix the defense - and for the first time that I know of, Sanchez sounded like that could be coming the way he talked in the post game presser. Sanchez mentioned the Rebels getting 14 point leads twice and then one play wipes out the lead 

I think Baer has to go or be demoted............Cotton might get another year - Defense is the side of the ball that's killing and has killed UNLV for years - Bad defense is pretty much a tradition at UNLV.

13 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

If there is going to be assistant coach changes, it will have to be after this season..........Sanchez will be out if he doesn't make some attempt to fix the defense - and for the first time that I know of, Sanchez sounded like that could be coming the way he talked in the post game presser. Sanchez mentioned the Rebels getting 14 point leads twice and then one play wipes out the lead 

I think Baer has to go or be demoted............Cotton might get another year - Defense is the side of the ball that's killing and has killed UNLV for years - Bad defense is pretty much a tradition at UNLV.

Baer won’t be demoted.  He will be fired, or he’ll resign.

5 hours ago, Swoll Cracker said:

(I feel for Rebel fans. 

It's their own fault. When the sanchize was hired they all lost their shiit. All it took was a pic of him in a private jet and the promise of $ from fertita. 

Now they still suck and are looking to finance their training table. LOL

"but we only lost to Stanford by 3."

5 hours ago, TK_05 said:

eh, more of a winning town

easy to say basketball because it does most of the winning. now aau/summer league connections, but in terms of unlv.... people only come out to watch them win. just look at bball attendance lately.

unlv doesn't play in the big12 like kansas, they play in the mwc. fresno was 1-11 last year. unlv could turn it around pretty quick with the right hires but they haven't done so...ever basically

Vegas had 5x the brand of Gonzaga. And GU plays in CBYU. Not sure if conference matters when a brand reaches a certain value. 

Fresno has won for decades. I think that’s a horrible comparison. 

18 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Vegas had 5x the brand of Gonzaga. And GU plays in CBYU. Not sure if conference matters when a brand reaches a certain value. 

no idea what gonzaga has to do with any of this

not sure what you said has to do with anything i said tbh

vegas isn't a basketball town. they support what wins. tark himself said as much. fans don't come to watch losing basketball the same they don't come to watch losing football. if unlv football ever put a good team on the field, the fans would come because... again... vegas (like the vast majority of western cities) supports a winner

if you don't see how fresno going from 1-11 to winning 8/9/10 games the follow season is relevant than i dunno what to say. a good hire would goes a long way in the mwc. fresno turned it around in a season, unlv (being in the same conference, recruiting for the same players, playing the same teams) could do the same thing... if they ever figured it out. they haven't... that's why it's relevant

32 minutes ago, TK_05 said:

vegas isn't a basketball town. they support what wins. tark himself said as much. fans don't come to watch losing basketball the same they don't come to watch losing football. if unlv football ever put a good team on the field, the fans would come because... again... vegas (like the vast majority of western cities) supports a winner

if you don't see how fresno going from 1-11 to winning 8/9/10 games the follow season is relevant than i dunno what to say. a good hire would goes a long way in the mwc. fresno turned it around in a season, unlv (being in the same conference, recruiting for the same players, playing the same teams) could do the same thing... if they ever figured it out. they haven't... that's why it's relevant

If you look at attendance during the Tark era at UNLV, there were two times UNLV sold out home games..........back from 1976-1980 when the Rebels played in the 6,400 seat LV Convention Center Rotunda...........and the 1986-87 & 1989-1991 runs..........UNLV got great crowds most of the other times, 13 to 16K, but games weren't "Sell outs" of 18,500 every home game - Some marquee non-conference home games might sell out, but not a full season at capacity 

I bet New Mexico had a better % of capacity number than UNLV from 1977 to 2014 - UNM used to get 18,018 every game for a long time it seemed (pre PIT renovations, which cut the total seating) 

Guest RoscoesDad
36 minutes ago, TK_05 said:

Its so easy to see and yet all we hear is the same sad story about how much time the poor coach at unlv needs to show a semblence of tangible success.  Any unlv fan who thinks it can be done sooner is an unrealistic nutjob that knows nothing about how things really work.  Meanwhile we see other mwc programs variously progressing around us while our fanbase and press just accepts our sputtering ineptitude as normalcy. 

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

I would still contend that UNLV is a better brand than Gonzaga.  Gonzaga still has a hard time landing high level American recruits out of high school.

12 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see (Armani Rogers) go to somewhere that he can get coached up. He's certainly not getting it here.

I think that is why it is critical that when CFB staff size increases from 9 to 10 sideline assistants in January that UNLV's addition must be Randall Cunningham.  He's local, he's available, he has connections to Sanchez, he will win favor with the old timers, and he's a perfect fit for QB mentor.

Armani's dad knows what it would mean to have Randall coming in as a mentor.

As for Armani having other opportunities, of course he would... but at most major schools he would be years from seeing the field as a QB.  His passing this season has not been good.  He is only an upgrade from Stanton because of his running ability and hasn't had as many interceptions as Stanton did last season.  In October Rogers has a completion percentage under 45% and and under 5 yards per attempt.  In the pregame show on the radio Tyler Bishop was giving his summary of charting every pass Rogers has made this year and said that he has been no better than Kurt Pallendech was last year, and Kurt is also an able runner.  Coaching may help Rogers - his problem according to Bishop is overthrowing receivers and so I was watching for that in the first half of USU and it appeared to be common.

6 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

I recall UNLV getting votes early in one of J Robs seasons with JT at QB (think it was coming off the LV bowl season 7 win over Arkansas) but UNLV never cracked the top 25..............best win was beating a ranked Wisconsin in Madison.

J Rob was good for the program in that he brought national attention just because of his history around football...........but even he flamed out and called it quits mid season after UNLV dropped a game (against USU I think) that UNLV should have won - I had season tickets during his years and quite a few fans were getting tired of his bland run offense.....but that's par for the course after seeing the team start to get better & fans wanting more & more 

I stand corrected. Although Sports Illustrated had us in their T25 preseason rankings along with some serious hype on Thomas as a Heisman candidate.

The downfall was Jrob being asked to be AD in addition to being a CFB coach. I think that led to health problems for Jrob and we were never the same after. 

10 minutes ago, Rosegreen said:

I stand corrected. Although Sports Illustrated had us in their T25 preseason rankings along with some serious hype on Thomas as a Heisman candidate.

The downfall was Jrob being asked to be AD in addition to being a CFB coach. I think that led to health problems for Jrob and we were never the same after. 

Yeah - UNLV was getting some pre-season hype coming off the LV Bowl win over Arkansas and was on the T25 radar but never quite made it onto the main two polls.........People figured JT would build on the last half of the season and the bowl game win, but JT ended up being hurt & tried to play thru it and things didn't go well ...........and then J Rob got the Ad job & the team never reached the hype or expectations 

The bowl was after the 2000 season and the hype was for the 2001 season - UNLV won it's last 3 regular season games in a run to the LV bowl, finishing 8-5 - then in 2001 UNLV opened by losing 4 straight to Arkansas, Northwestern, Arizona & BYU and the hype was erased 

LV Bowl: 

Arkansas scored first on a 7-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Robby Hampton to wide receiver Rod Stinson for a 7-0 Razorback lead. In the second quarter, UNLV tied the score at 7, following a 19-yard touchdown pass from Jason Thomas to Nate Turner. Arkansas answered with a 25-yard touchdown pass from Hampton to Boo Williams, giving the Razorbacks a 14-7 lead. But with Thomas and Turner connecting for their second score, the game became a 14-14 tie at intermission.
In the third quarter, Jason Thomas notched his third passing touchdown of the game, a 54 yarder to Troy Mason, giving UNLV a 21-14 lead it wouldn't relinquish. In the fourth quarter, Dillon Pieffer kicked a 26-yard field goal to increase the Rebels lead to 24-14. Kevin Brown's 14 yard touchdown run made the final margin 31-14.

Armani Rogers has much more upside than Palandech or Stanton.  His throws are not overly accurate at this point, but he has completed some difficult throws.  He has it in him unlike the other two scrubs.

Hopefully, they sign a JUCO quarterback in addition to Stacy Conner (nationally ranked by 247 Sports and also 6’5”).

14 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Armani Rogers has much more upside than Palandech or Stanton.  His throws are not overly accurate at this point, but he has completed some difficult throws.  He has it in him unlike the other two scrubs.

Hopefully, they sign a JUCO quarterback in addition to Stacy Conner (nationally ranked by 247 Sports and also 6’5”).

He has the arm strength to make any throw on the college level, he just needs coaching to read defenses and deliver with more accuracy. All the physical tools are there

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.