Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Chris Murray: SJSU Never Should Have Been Invited to the MWC

Nevada fans have little room to talk. The president at nevada, as much as I like him, doesn’t support athletics worth a chit. We’re consistently at the bottom of university $$ support rankings. And fans here will support the U but only if it’s winning. It sold 8.5k season tickets for football this year. It sold more than than that 25 years ago.

And the only thing more pathetic is that there are worse programs in the MWC who actually bash SJSU for poor support. 

24 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Nevada fans have little room to talk. The president at nevada, as much as I like him, doesn’t support athletics worth a chit. We’re consistently at the bottom of university $$ support rankings. And fans here will support the U but only if it’s winning. It sold 8.5k season tickets for football this year. It sold more than than that 25 years ago.

And the only thing more pathetic is that there are worse programs in the MWC who actually bash SJSU for poor support. 

You're right that Johnson is a total joke on athletics, and it's one of the worst things a prez can do to their school. 

I thought Meredith told me we had about 10k season tickets this year. Still not much. With the Polian hype (yeah imagine THAT!!)  I believe the first year with Polian was nearly 14k, and then it went down in large steady increments after that. 

kat.jpg

2 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

Selland was amazing. 

Yeah, Selland could get real loud.

Joe, didn't you say Humboldt dropped or is dropping football?  If so, Sharta would be a perfect replacement and put them with the right competition level.

I hate the idea of kicking schools out of the conference, but I honestly think it is in SJS best interest.  Their support for athletics will not allow their athletic programs to thrive in the MW.  The MW is not a great conference but it does take a commitment by each school to be competitive for all sports.  SJS is just not there and their athletic department commitment and profile is much more inline with the Big Sky than the MW.   Switching conferences would allow them to be better athletically on the field / court.

Who do you think realistically would want to join the MW if we let SJS go and is it worth it to make the trade?

50 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

They're saying it looks like it's going to get cut. They honestly get about the same crowds SJSU does too. SJSU should just slide into the GNAC and play against their talent level in teams like Simon Fraser and Western Oregon. 

That’s depressing

3 hours ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

Jesus.  

Their current path isn't sustainable. Like, at all.    There's hardly any fan interest.   They draw 15000 a game, and that's being generous.  

Unsustainable is the right term.  

I’ve  always had a soft spot for the Spartans because of those great eighties teams, but if sjs can’t get their AD department figured out, maybe they should go to the Big west.

http://www.recordnet.com/article/20051218/OPED0303/512180337

"Much of the income was based on games played away against teams that provided large payouts,” DeRosa said. “There was very limited income through gate receipts. Those money games, the following year, were going away. Oregon and Minnesota were coming in and we were obligated to big payoffs to them.”

So the board made the decision to suspend the program.

Didn't SJSU just cancel Oregon State?

Looks like they're on the same path as UOP.

17 minutes ago, rudolro said:

http://www.recordnet.com/article/20051218/OPED0303/512180337

"Much of the income was based on games played away against teams that provided large payouts,” DeRosa said. “There was very limited income through gate receipts. Those money games, the following year, were going away. Oregon and Minnesota were coming in and we were obligated to big payoffs to them.”

So the board made the decision to suspend the program.

Didn't SJSU just cancel Oregon State?

Looks like they're on the same path as UOP.

They really, really needed a good hire when Mac left.  That was their chance.  If hey could have had some sustained success, recruiting would have taken off and fans would have come back.  Even carrager recruited ok, because of what mac had built.  But now the wheels have fully come off again.  Tomey saved them once, Mac and the MWC invite saved them a second time, not sure if they have another rabbit in the hat.

4 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

They really, really needed a good hire when Mac left.  That was their chance.  If hey could have had some sustained success, recruiting would have taken off and fans would have come back.  Even carrager recruited ok, because of what mac had built.  But now the wheels have fully come off again.  Tomey saved them once, Mac and the MWC invite saved them a second time, not sure if they have another rabbit in the hat.

Brennan might learn on the job.  But i don't know if they can afford to wait 2 years. 

10 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

Brennan might learn on the job.  But i don't know if they can afford to wait 2 years. 

You're right.  On the other hand PH would have won now.

Im having this delusion that PH might take the Poly job because San Luis is so nice and he likes to coach.  Would love that.

Just now, CPslograd said:

You're right.  On the other hand PH would have won now.

Yeah that was the dumbest decision i've seen a school make in a long time.  If spartan fans are to be believed (and i remain skeptical, as everyone i've talked to says the sticking point was assistant salaries) they were all set to spring for pat hill and the president personally stepped in and overruled then-AD Bleimayer.  

I think Pat would have them with 3 wins right now.  Not pretty, but competitive and not this incompetent.

SJSU has many problems particularly with football and men's basketball. Losing the opportunity to grow the fan base the last 2 or 3 decades is now showing as older fans are not being replaced. Then there is struggling with coaching choices, recruiting, etc.

But the real concern about SJSU athletics the next few years has to be the views of their new president about FBS athletics. SJSU President Papazian received all 3 of her degrees from UCLA. But her academic career has been at non-FBS schools.

• She was previously the president at Division 2's Southern Connecticut State University.
  • Prior to that she was provost at Lehman College of The City University of New York which plays Division 3 athletics including football.
  • She was also at D3's Montclair State University which has no football.
  • And also at the Horizon League's Oakland University which also does not play football.

Does SJSU President Papazian have an vision that includes, and an understanding of and commitment to FBS? Does she understand the work and resources needed for a G5 school to participate at this level? That more than anything will determine SJSU's fate.

19 minutes ago, FresnoFacts said:

SJSU has many problems particularly with football and men's basketball. Losing the opportunity to grow the fan base the last 2 or 3 decades is now showing as older fans are not being replaced. Then there is struggling with coaching choices, recruiting, etc.

But the real concern about SJSU athletics the next few years has to be the views of their new president about FBS athletics. SJSU President Papazian received all 3 of her degrees from UCLA. But her academic career has been at non-FBS schools.

• She was previously the president at Division 2's Southern Connecticut State University.
  • Prior to that she was provost at Lehman College of The City University of New York which plays Division 3 athletics including football.
  • She was also at D3's Montclair State University which has no football.
  • And also at the Horizon League's Oakland University which also does not play football.

Does SJSU President Papazian have an vision that includes, and an understanding of and commitment to FBS? Does she understand the work and resources needed for a G5 school to participate at this level? That more than anything will determine SJSU's fate.

Interesting.  Good post.

only thing I would say might be wrong with you post is I would substitute approve of for understand, in the last paragraph.

16 minutes ago, k5james said:

You can't kick then our until they force the issue by deciding to drop football.  Who are you realistically going to replace them with?

You don't have to replace them right away. We can go with an unbalanced schedule for a while.

I would make a run at Houston, or BYU that experiment is dead.

9 minutes ago, rudolro said:

You don't have to replace them right away. We can go with an unbalanced schedule for a while.

I would make a run at Houston, or BYU that experiment is dead.

Houston has absolutely zero reason to move here.  There are zero FBS targets that make any sense to move to this conference.  

35 minutes ago, k5james said:

You can't kick then our until they force the issue by deciding to drop football.  Who are you realistically going to replace them with?

They would probably just move forward with 11 schools. 

20 hours ago, Aztec Since 88 said:

I hate the idea of kicking schools out of the conference, but I honestly think it is in SJS best interest.  Their support for athletics will not allow their athletic programs to thrive in the MW.  The MW is not a great conference but it does take a commitment by each school to be competitive for all sports.  SJS is just not there and their athletic department commitment and profile is much more inline with the Big Sky than the MW.   Switching conferences would allow them to be better athletically on the field / court.

Who do you think realistically would want to join the MW if we let SJS go and is it worth it to make the trade?

SJSU's financial commitment to sports might be at the Big Sky level but that's deceptive. It's obvious that the administration of most Big Sky schools aspires to improve their athletics whereas at best, SJSU's administration doesn't care at all about football and maintains the program only because shutting it down would require SJSU to leave the MWC. Therefore, whereas most Big Sky schools have positive sports momentum, SJSU sports are headed in the opposite direction.

As to your final question, as an Aztec, I hardly care since it's unlikely we will be here eight years from now anyway.

Boom goes the dynamite.