Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Chris Murray: SJSU Never Should Have Been Invited to the MWC

http://www.rgj.com/story/sports/college/nevada/2017/10/20/1-000-words-how-fix-mountain-west-basketball-so-its-multi-bid-league-again/783786001/

Relevant Quote is Bullet Point 5:

San Jose State’s average RPI the last six seasons has been 275. Air Force’s hasn’t been much better in that span, sitting at 221, with four straight finishes of 224 or worse. These two programs have been anchors during the MW’s recent fall. SJSU might not be fixable. This program has only two winning seasons since 1987 and hasn’t won 20 games since 1981 (I wasn’t even born then). Realistically, SJSU never should have been invited into the MW. Air Force’s history is a little more favorable, but the Falcons have only three 20-win seasons in the last 60 years (the good news is all three came in the last 15 seasons). These programs don’t have to be great, but they can’t be 250-plus in the RPI either.

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

If SJSU seemed to show any effort at all it would be different. When teams like CSU and Wyo are paying millions for upgrades to facilities, their stadium is falling apart.

The basketball problem has been horrible for way too long.

14 minutes ago, HylianHero said:

If SJSU seemed to show any effort at all it would be different. When teams like CSU and Wyo are paying millions for upgrades to facilities, their stadium is falling apart.

The basketball problem has been horrible for way too long.

When SJSU built their event center/basketball arena in 1989 you knew that their vision was small.  It was 5,000 seats for basketball, hardly a D1A facility for basketball.  I went there for a Fresno State/SJSU basketball game within a few years after it opened and chuckled the whole game about how that facility felt like a high school gym.

At the time we played our home games in Selland Arena (10,000 plus seats) and knew that when we finally built our on-campus arena it would not be SJSU like.  Now we play in our on-campus, 15,500 seat arena.

47 minutes ago, mugtang said:

Fake news.  SJSU brings the bay area.  Everyone knows that.

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

Question, would the conference be better off it it was each school's AD that were the decision makers rather than the University President's?

5 minutes ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

Question, would the conference be better off it it was each school's AD that were the decision makers rather than the University President's?

The ADs' job is to win, but are restricted by how they do it.  That's where the presidents are supposed to be involved.

The San Ho fans on the WAC board used to clown me when I was pushing Bako for the WAC.  Look what the Roadrunners have done compared to the Spartans the past five years or so, despite less resources.  And not just in MBB, baseball and soccer too

SJSU is going to force the issue before long anyhow by imploding and cutting football. At that point, kick them out, shift Boise to the West and add Liberty or another FCS school willing to make the effort and commitment to be competitive.

It's brutal, but the cold reality is SJSU's current AD and president are making no effort at all and what remains of that fanbase is shrinking rapidly. How long has the NEZ project been in limbo?

11 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

SJSU is going to force the issue before long anyhow by imploding and cutting football. At that point, kick them out, shift Boise to the West and add Liberty or another FCS school willing to make the effort and commitment to be competitive.

It's brutal, but the cold reality is SJSU's current AD and president are making no effort at all and what remains of that fanbase is shrinking rapidly. How long has the NEZ project been in limbo?

Since 2013 I believe.  

SJSU needed to make a commitment to football with their last hire/s, instead they enriched their unqualified buddies and effectively ruined the program. So in that sense I have no qualms about posters wanting them kicked out. Kick away.

15 minutes ago, Cincy said:

Since 2013 I believe.  

Jesus.  

Their current path isn't sustainable. Like, at all.    There's hardly any fan interest.   They draw 15000 a game, and that's being generous.