Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fbpack

Tell us about your basketball team

14 hours ago, StAz said:

Deep Deep Deep

Very talented

Fast and athetic

Key returners and solid transfers

And still so many questions.

If Pope stays healthy and Watson is good of point guard as we think...The Aztecs win the conf.

Surprises?...Jalen McDaniels is very good.

I sincerely hope that your coaching is a lot better than UNM's in a similar scenario a few years ago.

As far as UNM...

lots of these. ????? From coaching on down.

Lobos should be able to score and will be scrappy on defense.

May have trouble defending a capable front line.

Friday's BYU exhibition will tell us a bunch.

1 hour ago, LoboSage said:

I sincerely hope that your coaching is a lot better than UNM's in a similar scenario a few years ago.

As far as UNM...

lots of these. ????? From coaching on down.

Lobos should be able to score and will be scrappy on defense.

May have trouble defending a capable front line.

Friday's BYU exhibition will tell us a bunch.

We are going to kill you guys this year.  Menzies has better personnel to work with, and you won’t be able to match our size.

3 hours ago, SDSUfan said:

Kell, Hemsley and Newcomer Devin Watson will form a 3 guard rotation,

Transfer Kam Rooks and RS Soph Narian in the low post.

Then our typical logjam of 6-6 to 6-10 guys including Pope, RS frosh Mc Daniels, Montana (Hoetzel), frosh Matt Mitchell andGill-Ceaser.

Two frosh additions. One or both may red shirt : Adam Seiko, 6-3 G and Jordan Schakel, 6-6 G

With a new coach and given the disappointing season last year, we have much to prove. Kell, Hemsley and Pope need to show they know how to win when it counts. 

I think whatever success we have will revolve around offense.  Dutcher must implement a motion offense, which has been a challenge for years.  We have to get away from heroes shooting 3 pointers, excessively.  The defense will be there.  

54 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

We are going to kill you guys this year.  Menzies has better personnel to work with, and you won’t be able to match our size.

Size match-ups are going to be a problem all year.

Best of luck with your highly regarded recruits.

BTW...tell me about the proven size that you have. I haven't been paying attention to detail.

15 minutes ago, LoboSage said:

Size match-ups are going to be a problem all year.

Best of luck with your highly regarded recruits.

BTW...tell me about the proven size that you have. I haven't been paying attention to detail.

Brandon McCoy, Cheickna Dembele, and Shakur Juiston.  You guys will not be able to match up with those three.  We also have Mbacke Diong, but he probably won’t play much next year.  He reminds me of Kevin Garnett.  Sljivancanin is the last big on the depth chart, but he will only see the floor in garbage time.

Cheikh Mbacke Diong may be the best of the four bigs five years from now.  He has the most physical talent of the four.  He needs development though. Ignore the lousy competition, and it’s apparent that he is more athletic than 95% of the bigs in the MW.

10 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

Cheikh Mbacke Diong may be the best of the four bigs five years from now.  He has the most physical talent of the four.  He needs development though. Ignore the lousy competition, and it’s apparent that he is more athletic than 95% of the bigs in the MW.

I always cheer for UNLV and hope they can help make the MW great again. Relatively speaking.

15 minutes ago, creeper86 said:

Did you really just ask that....lolololo...

Looks like one Sharta fan is looking forward to hoops season. 

So how do you think the Shartans will do this year? Exciting time to be a Sharta fan for sure!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!

16 minutes ago, LoboSage said:

I always cheer for UNLV and hope they can help make the MW great again. Relatively speaking.

I think New Mexico will take a big step forward in 2018-19.  They should land LJ Figueroa, and they may be able to land a quality big in the spring.  They have to start forming relationships with the higher level players.

16 hours ago, WACkyGuy said:

Fresno should be very good this year.

1. Hopkins

- Super Athletic, big , strong, quick. Struggles shooting the ball but can get to the basket at will and plays great D. Should have a big year

2. D Taylor

- Absolute gamer. If he had started all season he would be getting a ton of pub. Carried us at points. 

3. Bowles

- Talented transfer, should fill the spot of Watson nicely. Better scorer 

4. Williams

- If he learned to stay out of foul trouble he should make a big splas

5. Carter

- When he stays out of foul trouble and has his head on straight he can dominate

Bench

J Taylor

- One of the best 3 point shooters in the nation. Can light it up, struggles on D

Grimes

- Could be an X factor. Has always had the talent, if the game has finally slowed down for him watch out. I could easily see him starting

Who is the UOP transfer?  Was supposedly their best player. 

6 hours ago, ph90702 said:

Thanks god somebody had their grandpa's flip phone to catch these highlights with.

Seriously, though.  This kid looks better than McCoy on tape.

19 minutes ago, toonkee said:

Thanks god somebody had their grandpa's flip phone to catch these highlights with.

Seriously, though.  This kid looks better than McCoy on tape.

That’s because he has more athleticism.  I honestly don’t seem him playing much this year.  I heard he’s not raw but not as raw as Dembele was last year.  I think he has great long-term potential though.  Rick Pitino watched him personally on several occasions.  Keep in mind that some of that competition was brutal.  In one of the games, his scores score almost 30 points before the other team scored.

Boise just had an intersquad scrimmage so I thought I'd comment on some of my observations. 

-Boise is really big. Casdon Jardine is 6'7", 220# and compared to the others on the front line, he looks small. Cas is a really active player. He'll definitely see playing time this year. He can guard bigger guys, but can drive and hit the outside shot. Christian Sengfelder is a lot bigger than I anticipated. He has a strong frame. 

-Haney looks like he's taken a big step forward. He's always had the most upside of the bigs and he might be realizing that. He showed a variety of post moves, blocked shots, and was really active on the offensive glass. His numbers should go up this year.

-Lex Williams looks like he'll start over Dickinson (based on this scrimmage). He looks really quick and has a very good looking outside shots that he gets off fast.

-Cam Christon came in with very little fanfare and was a lightly regarded recruit, but looked really good. He showed moves in the open court, moved awesome without the ball and got some easy buckets, and had a great drive for a dunk. I didn't anticipate him playing much this year, but it looks like he should get some minutes. Maybe 8-10 minutes, but he looked good.

They look a solid two-deep at every position.