Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RAMification

Notre Dame West now 1-6... in a League of their own... ranked #2

2 hours ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

Stunner talked all this trash about beating up all the MWC teams this year then disappeared when shit hit the fan. That dude is nothing but a fat vagina.  Talk about being able to dish it and not take it. 

Oh Stunner, Oh Stunner!   Where art thou Oh Stunner??? 

5 hours ago, RAMification said:

Agree tis a bit obsessive (please forgive).  And I admit it's unfair to beat the many good BYU fans who add-value here... while their team's suffering a "downer" season.

STILL, after all the chest-beating over this Indy Strategic Initiative, & reinvented history posted on this MWC Forum by Borg Fans, I just figure we need to take this opportunity to thoroughly remind the Borgsters just how un-exceptional  &  UNSUSTAINABLE their ND West Indy strategy was/is w/o a GREAT HC (Duhh, like all of our Programs).  Can't BYU allow Utah to enjoy their exceptional levels of Fball which they achieved via 2 GREAT HC's --- Urban & Whittingham --- and congratulate them on their P5 invite & success.  That'd be the humble way.   

The answer was & remains "hell no".  BYU Gotta save face --- earn more $$$'s, gain more exposure, double-deal, even if it kills the WAC & damages the MWC.  For this, I will always remember & remind this Board of that flaw in the Borg's leadership.

Perhaps BYU  fans will realize that all non-P5's in the West are stronger together vs. alone (Duhhh... the whole intention of Conferences).  

Sorry to disappoint, but BYU is still scheduling like they intend to remain indy--like with their 2022/2024 series with East Carolina they announced today:

“We have enjoyed the opportunity to play teams from the American Athletic Conference, including the current series with East Carolina,” said BYU director of athletics Tom Holmoe. “ECU is a great matchup and it was an easy decision to schedule another series with them. It provides our team with a unique travel opportunity, and it gives Cougar fans who live in the southeast another opportunity to see us play.”

“The opportunity to continue to play against a program of BYU’s national profile and brand is not only encouraged, but welcomed,” ECU Head Football Coach Scottie Montgomery said. “Each of our venues offer a great college football environment and it’s exciting to be a part of that tradition.”

It doesn't sound like a "kumbaya conference" of all non-P5's in the west is on the calendar yet.

1 hour ago, Fido said:

Sorry to disappoint, but BYU is still scheduling like they intend to remain indy--like with their 2022/2024 series with East Carolina they announced today:

“We have enjoyed the opportunity to play teams from the American Athletic Conference, including the current series with East Carolina,” said BYU director of athletics Tom Holmoe. “ECU is a great matchup and it was an easy decision to schedule another series with them. It provides our team with a unique travel opportunity, and it gives Cougar fans who live in the southeast another opportunity to see us play.”

“The opportunity to continue to play against a program of BYU’s national profile and brand is not only encouraged, but welcomed,” ECU Head Football Coach Scottie Montgomery said. “Each of our venues offer a great college football environment and it’s exciting to be a part of that tradition.”

It doesn't sound like a "kumbaya conference" of all non-P5's in the west is on the calendar yet.

I agree with you, I just wonder if the TV contract will even be the same, and how sustainable it is. 

17 hours ago, fanhood said:

I agree with you, I just wonder if the TV contract will even be the same, and how sustainable it is. 

Wonder no more...from the Head Coach's mouth back in 2015 -- "I don’t think it’s sustainable,” he said of BYU’s independent status.

And now that Indy Status has made even less sustainable, under Sitake.  Nobody has more intimate hands-on knowledge about this than Bronco.  And nobody is willing to be more straightforward than Bronco.  

Oh well, power on B-Why-Who .   

45 minutes ago, RAMification said:

Wonder no more...from the Head Coach's mouth back in 2015 -- "I don’t think it’s sustainable,” he said of BYU’s independent status.

And now that Indy Status has made even less sustainable, under Sitake.  Nobody has more intimate hands-on knowledge about this than Bronco.  And nobody is willing to be more straightforward than Bronco.  

Oh well, power on B-Why-Who .   

So what do you all mean by "sustainable"?

Mendenhall meant he didn't know where else to take it and felt a burden to define and drive Independence at BYU.  By playing the tougher schedule in indy his record dipped and he began to feel like he wasn't the guy to push it forward and his support was waning.  https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/acc/2016/02/22/bronco-mendenhall-college-football-byu-virginia/80756712/

For me it is obvious that by increasing the level of competition your record won't be as good as otherwise.  But the hope is that you rise to that challenge--even if in the short-term you take some lumps.

Independence was a fork in the road.  That road may lead to conference affiliation at some point down the road.  "Going back" to what was there pre-Indy isn't possible as the MWC isn't the same conference as it was back then.  I at least appreciate the effort to improve one's own status as much as possible even if it means doing something different.  If every team put that much time/effort/investment into improving their situation things would be much different than they are today.

55 minutes ago, Scooter said:

Can we please just stop talking about BYU once and for all???  They have chosen to wallow in the irrelevance pond.

I get we have teams that are playing them but lets just leave it at that.

BYU is a de facto member of this conference for football why not talk about them?  Half the topics on the board are about BYU (almost never started by BYU fans), and kicking out SJSU (never going to happen, unless they commit some kind of major violation).  The BYU fans are some of the most interesting posters on this board.

1 hour ago, Fido said:

So what do you all mean by "sustainable"?

Mendenhall meant he didn't know where else to take it and felt a burden to define and drive Independence at BYU.  By playing the tougher schedule in indy his record dipped and he began to feel like he wasn't the guy to push it forward and his support was waning.  https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/acc/2016/02/22/bronco-mendenhall-college-football-byu-virginia/80756712/

For me it is obvious that by increasing the level of competition your record won't be as good as otherwise.  But the hope is that you rise to that challenge--even if in the short-term you take some lumps.

Independence was a fork in the road.  That road may lead to conference affiliation at some point down the road.  "Going back" to what was there pre-Indy isn't possible as the MWC isn't the same conference as it was back then.  I at least appreciate the effort to improve one's own status as much as possible even if it means doing something different.  If every team put that much time/effort/investment into improving their situation things would be much different than they are today.

Your last paragraph is well stated, and of course all of us must admire the BYU "pluck" to try the Indy model w/ uber-tough schedules.  That's always admirable about BYU as an institution.   However, nobody (MWC or BYU fans or National fans) can admire the manner BYU Leadership chose to execute it's plans.  Had BYU been above board w/ it's long-time League associates, it would've been faaaarrrrrrr different.  The trail of carnage BYU left behind, while scamming the MWC, was totally unnecessary, dishonorable & embarrassing to the LDS community (again!).  

Do you really not comprehend his use of "sustainable" in regards to the BYU Indy Model (he called it "Independence at BYU") that Bronco architected & built (ie, playing ND type uber tough schedules), at the behest of the BYU Leadership ???  IMHO his statement clearly means that he became convinced that with:

A) him as HC,

B)B) with the Recruits he could sign,

C) with the "schedules" BYU chose.

Bronco admitted he had given his best for BYU, but the BYU Indy Model was not going to be able to accomplish what ND did.  IE, Beat the Top Teams in the Nation regularly... earn 10-12 Wins per season... gain consistent National Rankings... and find BYU's way into the NY6 or CFP games.  All of which was necessary to:

1)  gain BYU the Winning Image of being "exceptional" across the non-LDS population.

2) gain even more press attention & Nat'l sports exposure -- in order to make LDS religion more attractive to the masses,  to make LDS followers more proud,  and more trusting of the LDS Leaders,  and therefore MORE GIVING to the LDS Church.

3) gain the leverage to EARN MORE $$$$'s via TV, attendance, etc.

4) gain an invite to a P5 Conference, or gain a seat equal to that of ND's in P5 considerations.... ie, become EQUAL to Utah Utes in every way imaginable... thus making BYU Leadership even more admired & trusted by their followers... thus gaining more gifts/tithes.

Would you like me to point to the BYU objectives that broke down in this overall Strategy??  I think you know full well in your heart.  But by all means, go get BYU another HC and keep bangin your collective heads against that wall.  We're trying not to LOL while watching BYU reap what it's been sowing.  It's hard to do.

Bronco's hard work at BYU & now success at UVa is proof that the BYU Sports & Institution is not Exceptional, nor is it particularly Blessed.  It's totally SECULAR.

1 hour ago, RAMification said:

Your last paragraph is well stated, and of course all of us must admire the BYU "pluck" to try the Indy model w/ uber-tough schedules.  That's always admirable about BYU as an institution.   However, nobody (MWC or BYU fans or National fans) can admire the manner BYU Leadership chose to execute it's plans.  Had BYU been above board w/ it's long-time League associates, it would've been faaaarrrrrrr different.  The trail of carnage BYU left behind, while scamming the MWC, was totally unnecessary, dishonorable & embarrassing to the LDS community (again!).  

Do you really not comprehend his use of "sustainable" in regards to the BYU Indy Model (he called it "Independence at BYU") that Bronco architected & built (ie, playing ND type uber tough schedules), at the behest of the BYU Leadership ???  IMHO his statement clearly means that he became convinced that with:

A) him as HC,

B)B) with the Recruits he could sign,

C) with the "schedules" BYU chose.

Bronco admitted he had given his best for BYU, but the BYU Indy Model was not going to be able to accomplish what ND did.  IE, Beat the Top Teams in the Nation regularly... earn 10-12 Wins per season... gain consistent National Rankings... and find BYU's way into the NY6 or CFP games.  All of which was necessary to:

1)  gain BYU the Winning Image of being "exceptional" across the non-LDS population.

2) gain even more press attention & Nat'l sports exposure -- in order to make LDS religion more attractive to the masses,  to make LDS followers more proud,  and more trusting of the LDS Leaders,  and therefore MORE GIVING to the LDS Church.

3) gain the leverage to EARN MORE $$$$'s via TV, attendance, etc.

4) gain an invite to a P5 Conference, or gain a seat equal to that of ND's in P5 considerations.... ie, become EQUAL to Utah Utes in every way imaginable... thus making BYU Leadership even more admired & trusted by their followers... thus gaining more gifts/tithes.

Would you like me to point to the BYU objectives that broke down in this overall Strategy??  I think you know full well in your heart.  But by all means, go get BYU another HC and keep bangin your collective heads against that wall.  We're trying not to LOL while watching BYU reap what it's been sowing.  It's hard to do.

Bronco's hard work at BYU & now success at UVa is proof that the BYU Sports & Institution is not Exceptional, nor is it particularly Blessed.  It's totally SECULAR.

You are one strange dude.  Half that stuff is stuff you completely pulled out of your nether regions.

115982fdaac21d7bdba8871a3608a70a.png

4 hours ago, Fido said:

You are one strange dude.  Half that stuff is stuff you completely pulled out of your nether regions.

115982fdaac21d7bdba8871a3608a70a.png

I did embellish a bit on BYU Leaders stated goals.  My bad.  The Goals I read for BYU's Independence were publicly stated as (if I remember right):

1) gain greater exposure for BYU Fball excellence, to attract more people to LDS church.

2) gain more Nat'l Sports attention by playing uber-tough schedule.

3) gain more $$$'s from ESPN immediately.

4) get an invite to a P5 Conference to gain the equal footing for recruiting, access to Bowls & $$$$'s.

Did I get those Goals correct ???  Did I get Bornco's definition of "not sustainable" correct???   Forgive the embellishments. 

Argue my embellishments if you chose.  But BYU's stated  

It should've been a bad omen of things to come when Sitake, in one of his first games as HC, opted for a fake punt on 4th and forever from the shadow of their own goal post

San_Diego_State_Logotype.png 

"Finally we decided it's crazy that we can win games by throwing the ball without the best personnel. So we threw the hell out  of the ball and won some games. When we started doing that, we were like 55–5–1."

Don Coryell, head coach 1961-1972

104 wins, 19 losses, 2 ties including 3 undefeated seasons: 1966, 1968, 1969     College Football Hall of Fame Inductee, 1999