Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

badfish

SDSU AD is touring stadium designs by our architects, Populous

He recently visited Fort Collins and toured the CSU stadium with their athletic department to get an idea of what they like and don't like about their stadium. Now, Wicker is off visiting multi-use stadiums designed by Populous.

17 minutes ago, badfish said:

He recently visited Fort Collins and toured the CSU stadium with their athletic department to get an idea of what they like and don't like about their stadium. Now, Wicker is off visiting multi-use stadiums designed by Populous.

They should visit wyo to see the latest in funnel cake stand design.

Finished stadium 2017B.jpg

3 minutes ago, badfish said:

Hope he takes a Texas trip to visit UH and Baylor, love those stadiums.

Seriously.  Populous did an amazing job with our stadium.  

Baylor's stadium is incredible but I was not impressed with Houston's stadium at all.  looked like an erector set built on the cheap.  Not sure Populous did that one??

Finished stadium 2017B.jpg

7 minutes ago, Scooter said:

Seriously.  Populous did an amazing job with our stadium.  

Baylor's stadium is incredible but I was not impressed with Houston's stadium at all.  looked like an erector set built on the cheap.  Not sure Populous did that one??

Idk if they did UH or not, but we're kind of ballin on a budget right now. I'd be comfortable adding/upgrading at a later time.

Has SDSU definitively solved a new stadium's location?  It seems to me that until the location issue is settled, the design cannot be finalized.  Is the AD putting the cart before the horse?  Stadia designs are, often, dictated by the land availability, lot size and topography of their locations.

1 hour ago, SpartaRick said:

Has SDSU definitively solved a new stadium's location?  It seems to me that until the location issue is settled, the design cannot be finalized.  Is the AD putting the cart before the horse?  Stadia designs are, often, dictated by the land availability, lot size and topography of their locations.

I'd believe you can make a model that, like you say, is not finalized, but is essentially at the structural 90%.  That could build materials cost, space requirement, and build time assumptions.  Plus, you need something to show a town that needs to buy in.

1 hour ago, SpartaRick said:

This situation is very confusing for all that hasn't followed it super closely.

For those of us who have followed it extremely close or have at least some inside info (which is hard to come by in this project), we feel that the Stadium deal is basically a done deal.

"Soccer City" has to win the public vote in November and right now (from what I heard) polls show "Soccer City" is at a 35% approval rate right now.  The vote is a month away and they have to get 51%.

Good luck on that.

42 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

"A" month away? Shouldn't that be 13 months away?

Yep - it's NEXT November.  You'll know it's coming by the visual and audio pollution of FS Partner funded electioneering.  There's a lot of free cash flow at risk for that investor group and they're not going to let go of it easily.

Aztec-Nation-Banner2010-03.gif

27 minutes ago, jimjam said:

It will be interesting to see what Populous comes up with as far as construction costs for SDSU's new stadium.  Any numbers been tossed out there by SDSU admin Lately?

It will be cheaper than the FS Partners' buy-in amount.  They were including the cost of their MLS bid and forecast operating losses into their land valuation and coming up with some ridiculous and totally indefensible number. 

Aztec-Nation-Banner2010-03.gif

57 minutes ago, Monty93 said:

It will be cheaper than the FS Partners' buy-in amount.  They were including the cost of their MLS bid and forecast operating losses into their land valuation and coming up with some ridiculous and totally indefensible number. 

Thanks.  I appoligize if this has been asked before....

I assume the city of San DIego owns the land at the current stadium?  Would the university have to buy it and pay for the stadium too or is the city willing to put the land under SDSU and then have them improve it?

Also, How will the new stadium be funded?

1 hour ago, jimjam said:

Thanks.  I appoligize if this has been asked before....

I assume the city of San DIego owns the land at the current stadium?  Would the university have to buy it and pay for the stadium too or is the city willing to put the land under SDSU and then have them improve it?

Also, How will the new stadium be funded?

The CSU System will pay for the land.  SDSU will pay for the stadium via donations and other income.

2 hours ago, Monty93 said:

I'm trying to stay out of this discussion,understanding that dissension is not something Aztec snowflakes are very good at handling....BUT..... BULLSHIT!

The SDSU-FS Investors finance proposal called for equal shares of $100million. SDSU committed to $20 million in startup capital based upon the reasonable assumption that they could raise that much from their donor base. The remainder would be financed through CSU revenue bonds to be serviced by revenue generated by the developed 5 acre parcel.  An addition 35 acres  are made available AT MARKET rate to the university.

Tell me how SDSU West will be cheaper?

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke