Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jackmormon

Support the troops & their grieving widows

1 hour ago, RoscoesDad said:

It rreally is amazing how many people on this forum who didnt vote for trump and purtend to diskike trump, also stick up for him and defend him as if they actually did vote fpr him and support him in real life.  Its almost like they are ashamed.  

Spot on NevadaConvert.

11 hours ago, pokebball said:

So it was as others have said. Trump tried and failed to be empathetic and consoling to the family. He asked Kelly what to say and Kelly told him a powerful story about what was told to him choosing to be the 1%, then Trump tried to relay a similar thought to the family but since he lacks empathy and can't communicate he failed miserable and made the soldier's widow cry.

Both sides here can be right. Kelly can think there was nothing wrong with the call but the congresswoman can also be right with calling out the president for making a gold star family feel worse. She wasn't there as a politician but as a family friend who is also grieving.

The thing that bothers me though is that there was no apology to the family for any"unintended hurt" caused by the call. In this press conference it was just about defending Trump from the consequences of his inability to communicate and show that he did nothing wrong but the fact is he made a gold star widow cry and made things worse

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2017/10/20/john-kellys-defense-of-trump-was-absurd-and-he-surely-knows-it/?hpid=hp_no-name_opinion-card-a%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.afedef869ec0

Whatever the truth about Rep. Wilson’s motives, the decision as to who listened in on the call was a personal one made by the next-of-kin. And Kelly should respect that. Instead, he helped Trump play the aggrieved party. But in this case, Trump apparently botched the call to a family. He should have known that he might be placed on speakerphone. (When you were a “kid growing up,” surely men took responsibility for their actions, right, John?) Trump and the White House could simply have let this die down or even apologized to the family and treated their feelings as more important than Trump’s personal pique or political fortunes. Yes, this this might mean taking a few lumps that the White House considered unfair, without retaliating. So what? Is it really that awful or unthinkable for Trump to lose a round? Yet the White House chose not to show restraint — even though Kelly understands as well as or better than anyone else what the family is going through

8 minutes ago, tspoke said:

So it was as others have said. Trump tried and failed to be empathetic and consoling to the family. He asked Kelly what to say and Kelly told him a powerful story about what was told to him choosing to be the 1%, then Trump tried to relay a similar thought to the family but since he lacks empathy and can't communicate he failed miserable and made the soldier's widow cry.

Both sides here can be right. Kelly can think there was nothing wrong with the call but the congresswoman can also be right with calling out the president for making a gold star family feel worse. She wasn't there as a politician but as a family friend who is also grieving.

The thing that bothers me though is that there was no apology to the family for any"unintended hurt" caused by the call. In this press conference it was just about defending Trump from the consequences of his inability to communicate and show that he did nothing wrong but the fact is he made a gold star widow cry and made things worse

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2017/10/20/john-kellys-defense-of-trump-was-absurd-and-he-surely-knows-it/?hpid=hp_no-name_opinion-card-a%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.afedef869ec0

As Kelly said, his recommendation was that a POTUS should not make the call.  Really, there is nothing that can be said that wouldn't make the widow/mom/dad cry, right.  The best thing everyone can do now, and particularly the media, is to put the shovel down.  Everyone's dug themselves into a deep enough hole.

The World Needs More Cowboys!

5 minutes ago, pokebball said:

As Kelly said, his recommendation was that a POTUS should not make the call.  Really, there is nothing that can be said that wouldn't make the widow/mom/dad cry, right.  The best thing everyone can do now, and particularly the media, is to put the shovel down.  Everyone's dug themselves into a deep enough hole.

That is for certain.

44 minutes ago, pokebball said:

I would have agreed with Kelly recommendation about calling the family. There is nothing a president can say to mae things better but the president shouldn't make things worse. I agree that everyone should shut up about it and that particulary includes the president and his tweets and the white house staff for fanning the flames of this.

A simple statement afterward of something to the effect of:

"The president apologizes for any unintentional grief caused. The intention was to highlight how the soldier was a hero for choosing to join the military(or however Kelly said it very eloquently). It was never any intention to cause anymore pain to the family than they were already going through. The president loves the military and their family and takes the loss of life of our military men very seriously and personally."

Boom it goes away but we know the president is not able to back down or apologize for anything ever so it has to escalate and he has to attack the congresswoman who is a family friend and make this into a story and making this gold star family a political pawn now.

35 minutes ago, tspoke said:

I would have agreed with Kelly recommendation about calling the family. There is nothing a president can say to mae things better but the president shouldn't make things worse. I agree that everyone should shut up about it and that particulary includes the president and his tweets and the white house staff for fanning the flames of this.

A simple statement afterward of something to the effect of:

"The president apologizes for any unintentional grief caused. The intention was to highlight how the soldier was a hero for choosing to join the military(or however Kelly said it very eloquently). It was never any intention to cause anymore pain to the family than they were already going through. The president loves the military and their family and takes the loss of life of our military men very seriously and personally."

Boom it goes away but we know the president is not able to back down or apologize for anything ever so it has to escalate and he has to attack the congresswoman who is a family friend and make this into a story and making this gold star family a political pawn now.

Politicians admitting mistakes would go a long way with me.  You seldom see it.  Humility is one of our most important virtues, in my opinion, and so important in a leader and yet you don't see it in most politicians.

27 minutes ago, pokebball said:

Politicians admitting mistakes would go a long way with me.  You seldom see it.  Humility is one of our most important virtues, in my opinion, and so important in a leader and yet you don't see it in most politicians.

Are you capable of unequivocally denouncing Trump for one little thing?

On 12/1/2016 at 12:26 PM, WyomingCoog said:

I own a vehicle likely worth more than everything you own combined and just flew first class (including a ticket for a 2 1/2 year old), round trip to Las Vegas and I'm not 35 yet. When you accomplish something outside of finishing a book, let me know. When's the last time you saw a 2 year old fly first class in their own seat? Don't tell me about elite.  

28 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

I’d happily compare IQ’s with you any day of the week.

12 minutes ago, youngrebelfan40 said:

Are you capable of unequivocally denouncing Trump for one little thing?

Absolutely

As a person and human being, the guys an ass.  His character is the weakest we've ever had in the WH, at least to my knowledge.  There is more I don't like about him than any president in my lifetime.

But do I denounce him unequivocally?  No.  I support the policy direction he's taking the country?

Taking all of this together, can I cast my vote for Trump.  No.  I didn't last fall and I wouldn't today.