Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Nevada & Grand Canyon to play charity exhibition game

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

raising money for charity is a great idea, I'd love to see unlv put one together for our victims, i would definitely go to support that. but it's not like i wouldn't like to see this game and support their charity, but i'm not going to Reno to see it. if somebody streams it, i would donate to it though. and yes, i am curious to see what your team looks like, of course people are going to 'scout it'..maybe somebody will 'scope it.

Now that the can of worms has opened up, I'm surprised that UNLV hasn't put one together with an AZ or Cal team.  Or for that matter, any team.

RENO, Nev. (AP) - Nevada's men's basketball team will play an exhibition game against Grand Canyon University in Reno Sunday afternoon to raise money for victims of the wildfires in Northern California.

Nevada Athletic Director Doug Knuth said Wednesday net proceeds from the game against the school from Phoenix will be donated to North Bay Fire Relief through the nonprofit Redwood Credit Union Community Fund in Santa Rosa.

It's one of more than a dozen games Division I basketball programs have scheduled after the NCAA granted a waiver allowing teams to play an extra exhibition if the profits go to disaster relief.

Nevada officials say Reno-based developer and investor Basin Street Properties will match all money raised from the $5 ticket sales at the 4 p.m. game at the Lawlor Events Center. The school's concessionaire, Sodexo, will donate half its net sales

cerified_Subarus.jpg

23 hours ago, nvspuds said:

The scouting part of the equation is pretty meaningless..MW teams will have lots of tape on every other MW team soon enough.  I don't think Muss will hold anything back..He has to see what he has and this gives a better look than normal exhibitions 

For me personally, I just want to see the players. UNR has a lot of new players and I've only seen GC play a couple times.

I don't think Caleb Martin will play but the other 8 guys should play.  I am going to see the game in person but I don't think it is being streamed anywhere.

Just a guess..the starting 5 might be..

Drew PG

Hall  Wing

Cody Martin Wing

Caroline Forward

Foster  Forward..

You have already seen 4 of those guys..

Caleb isn’t playing I think the starters will be

Drew

Hall

Stephens

Caroline

Darien Williams 

Williams does a lot of dirty work and will be the defensive presence that Foster isn’t. Foster will be a nice scoring punch off the bench though.

57 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

Cody will likely start with Caleb out.  I think Stevens will come off the bench..

I would be surprised if Williams starts..

However, I think Muss will play all nine guys every night during the season.

Chris Murray has said multiple times now Williams is the starting center

I hadn't seen that from Murray but I will take your word for it..

I think Foster will play more minutes and probably finish games.

I would also not be the least surprised if there were stretches where neither guy is on the floor at all..

1 hour ago, nvspuds said:

Nevada is not playing BYU in football..By the by..I have nothing against BYU..We weren't even in the MW when they left.  We haven't played them in basketball for a number of years..

Nothing against BYU?

Chance Krestchmer. Google him. 

2 hours ago, nvspuds said:

Cody will likely start with Caleb out.  I think Stevens will come off the bench..

I would be surprised if Williams starts..

However, I think Muss will play all nine guys every night during the season.

Cody we be a starter regardless if Caleb plays or not both the twins are locked in at the wings