Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BSUTOP25

Tim Cook is no Steve Jobs

http://nypost.com/2017/10/16/the-iphone-7-is-selling-faster-than-the-iphone-8/

The iPhone 8 is going to go down as a strategic blunder by Apple. Seriously, a faster processor, AR,  and wireless charging are not enough to drive adoption to a more expensive model. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, there is no compelling reason for me to turn in my 6S until the price point for the X comes down. 

Tim Cook and the Apple strategy execs need to step up their game. They're comfortable living off the brilliant revenue model that was established through the iTunes ecosystem over a decade ago but it's only a matter of time before users at large evolve to a new content system that accommodates the next breakthrough device. 

Apple should have scrapped the 8 to concentrate production and promotion on the X. The X isn't breakthrough by any means and it sure as hell isn't worth $1,000. At best, it's Apple's answer to competing handsets that offer comperable features. 

Apple can't live off its brand equity and loyal users forever. The once transformative and CX-centric iPhone has become commoditized. Evolve and innovate or die.

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

You anti apple fanboys are funny. There are doom and gloom articles about Tim Cook and Apple before every major launch. All they've done is garnered 104% of all smartphone profits worldwide (I don't understand how you get over 100% unless everyone sells at a loss) last year, the largest percentage in history. Apple Services makes more than Netflix and Amazon combined. I've made 230% on my investment in the last 6 years. I'll take Tim Cook any day of the week.

2 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

You anti apple fanboys are funny. There are doom and gloom articles about Tim Cook and Apple before every major launch. All they've done is garnered 104% of all smartphone profits worldwide (I don't understand how you get over 100% unless everyone sells at a loss) last year, the largest percentage in history. Apple Services makes more than Netflix and Amazon combined. I've made 230% on my investment in the last 6 years. I'll take Tim Cook any day of the week.

All of my computers are Macs (been exclusively on OSX since 2001), my work and personal handsets are iPhones, my tablet is an iPad, and I have an Apple TV4. I'm not "anti-Apple." 

bsu_retro_bsu_logo_helmet.b_1.jpg

I have a couple Macs, have been on iPhones since they came out except for one jump to a Samsung before discovering that I preferred the iPhone, I use Apple TV on all my tv's, but there are some things that Apple does that infuriate me. Early on, their feud with Flash made it impossible to view some webpages on the iPhone. Their Airport Express is very temperamental. Not allowing Spotify on their apple tv is silly (Apple Music isn't nearly as good). The latest head scratcher is their HomePod, which they're approaching more as a high end speaker than a home assistant. I've gone with several Google Home units instead of a capable home assistant. If I want a kick ass wireless speaker, I'll go with Sonos, but I want more. Apple seems to be playing catch up in more areas than being an innovator these days, but I still like their products. They also need to adjust their thinking on pricing, especially with the iPhone. Cell carriers are moving away from subsidizing phone purchases and $1k for a phone just won't happen, even though I think its a great phone. 

I don't use Macs but I do have ipads, phones. I'm as cheap as they come but I'll preorder an iphone X at 1000 because outside of underwear, what else do you have on your person more than your phone. I doubt they will have an issue selling all the Xs they can make. I don't care for the Sonos speakers so I'm actually interested in a home pod for a speaker. I rarely use Siri and don't care about home automation for now so I don't need a home assistant, just a quality speaker. I still find the wired speakers much better but I like the integration with my other products so I'm hoping the Home Pod sounds good.

Things like this tend to be cyclical... yes, Apple has been a follower for a while, but that's how they've trended. They'll follow, and then they'll release something groundbreaking, and then they'll follow again for a while. Their following stage has lasted longer than normal this time around, but I have no doubts that they'll be ahead of the game again with something in the near future. 

As far as the phones go... I think the only reason they released an 8/8+ along with the X was due to OLED supply concerns. I think that if they really had their way, they would have only released an X along with a replacement for the SE. They also knew that the price point was going to scare some people away, as will FaceID. I think the next release cycle we'll see something like an XS, XS+, and X SE or something be released, all with FaceID, and the SE phone lacking a few features, and probably still on a standard LCD screen.

I have no pressing need to replace my 6S+ for the moment, and the X doesn't make me want to run out and buy it, but I've always been wary about adopting  the first of a new generation of devices. I waited for the iPhone 3G, and the 4S... the one time I jumped on a new one was the 6+, and that burned me with the bending frame issues. I'll wait for after it actually comes out and people review it, and then consider whether or not I want to get one.  

2 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

Are they funnier than the pro apple fanboys?

Apple has always been overrated.  IPhone's are overpriced crap.  Paying for their brand name.  $700 for <75 worth of electronics.  More for a phone than a laptop. 

Thanks Apple on behalf of parents everywhere, for creating a device that exploits narcissistic tendencies of our tweens/teens and turns them into lab rats always looking for the next like or comment to the stupid shit they post.

I've literally seen teenagers texting others in the same room.

51t4uwlffaL._SL160_SS150_.jpg324804241_0b7c67b2af_m.jpg

BCS is to Football what Fox News is to Journalism

15 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

Apple has always been overrated.  IPhone's are overpriced crap.  Paying for their brand name.  $700 for <75 worth of electronics.  More for a phone than a laptop. 

Thanks Apple on behalf of parents everywhere, for creating a device that exploits narcissistic tendencies of our tweens/teens and turns them into lab rats always looking for the next like or comment to the stupid shit they post.

Should I like this post? :hmmm:

I'll wait until the X price comes down before I "upgrade". The 6 I have right now works great. I'm a fan of Apple products too, if only for their simplicity. My MacBook is awesome, too, but I just don't feel like paying a ton of money when I can wait and see the price go down. 

13 minutes ago, Boise fan said:

Shit, I was in a fast food place during HS lunch the other day. It was filled with teenagers, but eerily silent. I looked around, thinking I'd must have been abducted by aliens, or the rapture really happened and I, as an agnostic heathen, was left with the Earth to myself....but nope, each of the kids was on their phone, texting, or doing some SnapFace or InstaChat -type shit. While it's nice not to hear the jibber-jabber of incandescent adolescents, it's still somewhat chilling and almost frightening to see people become virtual slaves of their technological devices. 

No one talks to each other anymore. There's literally no conversation that takes place, and it's not just with teenagers, but other people too. No one talks, they just check their phones and text, or do whatever else it is on the Internet, like look at cat memes or something. To me, this is one of the big drivers of problems we have in the country today. 

I like reading shit on the Internet, but if I'm with people, I'm going to give them my full attention if I invite them to hang out. If I'm by myself, then I'll be on my phone and not a rude asshole. 

Normally, I think you're a bit of an asshat, but I think you're right on the money with this line or thinking. Kudos.

2 minutes ago, 406WarriorFan said:

Normally, I think you're a bit of an asshat, but I think you're right on the money with this line or thinking. Kudos.

Yeah I admit I can be a bit of an asshat, but this is a forum overpopulated with vocal right wing asshats  so I follow the tenant of when in Rome...

The adage "treat others as you wish to be treated" doesn't work on the internet.  Too many people using forums to vent their frustrations, or let their inner demons out.  Like Tools - he may actually be a decent guy in real life.  But he definitely has an inferiority complex that he self treats here by attacking others.   I single him out because it can sometimes be fun to poke the bear. And that's my little foible I guess.  You pretty much have to have one if you engage in a politically charged forum like this one.

I'll say this though - here I go by treat others as they treat you.  If you engage politely, I'm polite in turn. If you engage as an asshat, well I can dish that out too.

Just now, Boise fan said:

Yeah I admit I can be a bit of an asshat, but this is a forum overpopulated with vocal right wing asshats  so I follow the tenant of when in Rome...

The adage "treat others as you wish to be treated" doesn't work on the internet.  Too many people using forums to vent their frustrations, or let their inner demons out.  Like Tools - he may actually be a decent guy in real life.  But he definitely has an inferiority complex that he self treats here by attacking others.   I single him out because it can sometimes be fun to poke the bear. And that's my little foible I guess.  You pretty much have to have one if you engage in a politically charged forum like this one.

I'll say this though - here I go by treat others as they treat you.  If you engage politely, I'm polite in turn. If you engage as an asshat, well I can dish that out too.

We're cool. 

1 hour ago, NMpackalum said:

I don't use Macs but I do have ipads, phones. I'm as cheap as they come but I'll preorder an iphone X at 1000 because outside of underwear, what else do you have on your person more than your phone. I doubt they will have an issue selling all the Xs they can make. I don't care for the Sonos speakers so I'm actually interested in a home pod for a speaker. I rarely use Siri and don't care about home automation for now so I don't need a home assistant, just a quality speaker. I still find the wired speakers much better but I like the integration with my other products so I'm hoping the Home Pod sounds good.

If I'm going to sit down and seriously listen to music, I'll run it through one of my other wired systems. I have a couple setups to do that and have embraced a vintage setup that I've been enjoying lately, but a lot of times, it's just easier to use Google Home for that. One thing I do like about Google Home is that you can play your music over all of them at the same time, so having multiple pods around the house is a good setup. I presume that Apple's Home pod will do the same.

1 hour ago, Boise fan said:

I can't speak from experience; I've only had 2 smartphones so far, both Samsung Galaxy's. I do think Apple products in general are overpriced but they are definitely not crap. They didn't become one of the worlds most valuable companies by selling crap.

4 minutes ago, Joe from WY said:

I got an old Macbook for 140 bucks that's like 10 years old and it works well. I like that. But aside from that, yeah, I agree. Apple hasn't had a real original idea since the iPhone came out. 

And also agree with you and the Hawaii guy about silent narcissists. It's bizarre. 

I know people who are in relationships who use the stuff on there to track locations and the like. So bizarre. 

Have to hand it to Jobs though - he literally changed social interaction with a little machine.  For the worse, in my opinion.  But man, that's an impressive impact.

5 minutes ago, renoskier said:

I can't speak from experience; I've only had 2 smartphones so far, both Samsung Galaxy's. I do think Apple products in general are overpriced but they are definitely not crap. They didn't become one of the worlds most valuable companies by selling crap.

Did you hear about how Apple was caught "coaxing" customers to spend more on newer devices via software updates that deliberately slow down older units? 

And I've taken them apart and replaced components.  A lot of cheap crap.  And I believe they keep it glass because of the lucrative after-market component parts industry for broken screens.  Lets market fragile, easily breakable electronics to specifically the under 25 crowd.  It's like printing your own money!  :D