Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheDoggFather

Battle for the Oil Can

4 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

And that last part is a big piece of what makes Fresno state football.  It's the Lorenzo Neal's, Charlie Jones, and Coburns that are what has always made Fresno State so fun to root for.

I haven't been following HS football recently, You had a son playing a couple years ago, was Hokit a stud in HS?

Hokit was good in high school but he was also a great wrestler. Wrestlers always make for tough football players. Lorenzo Neal case in point. 

21 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

And that last part is a big piece of what makes Fresno state football.  It's the Lorenzo Neal's, Charlie Jones, and Coburns that are what has always made Fresno State so fun to root for.

I haven't been following HS football recently, You had a son playing a couple years ago, was Hokit a stud in HS?

Exactly...we now see Hokit (Clovis High), Helmuth (Clovis North), McMaryion (Dinuba)...all local and all really contributing.  My son still plays (Jr. at CW...BTW, a little plug, they're 7-1 and having a great year on a team that features several D1 and FCS level recruits...although 2 are injured...Tenn commit Adrian Martinez...been out all year... and Boise commit and ILB extraordinaire DJ Schramm...labrum tear last week...now out for season..we still  have his almost as good twin Dusty killing it though)...anyway, what I know is Hokit was a solid LB/Saftey type in high school...didn't really carry the ball much if at all as I understand it...and he was a Fresno State walk-on I believe as was Helmuth...both now really flashing IMO.  It's good to see. 

13 minutes ago, Cincy said:

Hokit was good in high school but he was also a great wrestler. Wrestlers always make for tough football players. Lorenzo Neal case in point. 

This too...forgot the wrestling part...always makes for tough as nails kids...like Dakota Gordon at SDSU too..Clovis High wrestler. 

30 minutes ago, av-rated said:

Yeah...it's been a pretty impressive turnaround...I'll be the first to admit that I only pegged them to win 4 games this year...I just didn't think the talent was there...but CJT has found a better way to play to the strengths of the roster he inherited and he's created a completely new culture.  It's great to see the hard nose, hard hitting football again from the Dogs.  Also good to see many of our local recruits/walk ons and the west coast kids flashing under CJT....the last staff's default position seemed to devalue the film of the local kids despite high level play...

Yeah but CJT also plugged some holes with some JC guys and transfers.   Lots of  new faces starting with the QB.

1 hour ago, CPslograd said:

Especially with the facilities he had to work with.  I've always liked The Ted.

Winning at Cal is hard.  That said, Telfords cal teams were susceptible to the occasional game where they just didn't show up, will be interesting  to see if that happens at State too.

He got worse the better the coaching in the PAC got. He won't have that here. There's no scenario where the Mountain West hires and keeps better coaches than him. 

Just now, sactowndog said:

Yeah but CJT also plugged some holes with some JC guys and transfers.   Lots of  new faces starting with the QB.

Indeed...definitely not all CTD's kids...CJT complimented them well with a few of his recruits and the QB change alone is worth a ton...I was pulling for "nice kid" Chason to figure out his accuracy issues...but it just wasn't happening...so landing McMaryion was and has been huge....and the way CJT handled it was perfect.  He gave Chason time to sort it out..he didn't...while giving time to McMaryion to learn the O...he has.   

Also, what sort of typifies CJT's approach is seeing how he hasn't played this silly game with Camacho and Kroening...candidly, from what I've heard, Camacho has been the better kicker with the bigger leg since he got here, but was sort of given confidence deflating spot duty treatment last year by the old staff.  CJT didn't play favorites and lets the best kicker kick.

Just now, creeper86 said:

You're a very unlikeable 50 something....self loathing in your situation is completely understandable and warranted

Tell us all again that "Retreadford" was a bad hire. You're so knowledgeable about football. 

You dunce. 

it-says-right-here-maury-your-an-idiot-m

On Tuesday, October 17, 2017 at 9:10 PM, Monty93 said:

Here's a more current picture of the trophy.  They've removed the large base and put the scores on the can itself. 

Old-Oil-Can-trophy-Fresno-State-San-Dieg

Congrats Fresno on winning the Oil Can.  Hopefully  you got a picture of your team with the trophy

1 minute ago, av-rated said:

l watched the second half of the Boise v Wyoming game while I listened to the Dogs on the radio (I don't get CBSSN).  You know, the Dogs could freaking win the whole thing, those teams aren't wonderful.  One caveat, I haven't seen CSU this year.

I'll be there on Saturday for the first time since the SDSU game last year.  Will be my daughter's first game.  Very excited about it.

13 hours ago, alphadog1976 said:

?????

I haven't heard anything. I was just speculating that considering how many of the kids who verbaled to us had P5 offers, if the season continues to go to shit, some are almost certain to decommit.

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Great win by Fresno though. I bet 400 on the Moneyline on them last night and went to bed when they went up 27-3. 

SDSU's youth really showed. After that initial Penny fumble they just all kind of got shell-shocked and Fresno proceeded to devour them. 

Congrats on the bet.

In his post-game presser, Rocky said almost the same. You're close but Rocky said and I agree the shell shocking came when Fresno hit us for that 48 yard skinny post down to the 1 shortly thereafter. That was "shocking" to me because it wasn't Ron Smith who got burned but rather Trey Lomax. That kind of thing just doesn't happen to a heady player like Lomax who is in his fourth year in the two-deep.

Boom goes the dynamite.

2 hours ago, Joe from WY said:

Yeah. Just shows what good coaching can do. These players are all practically the same as last year save McMarion. 

I always like Tedford as a coach. People bagged on him for some of the shit that happened at Kal, but the fact he was able to win there speaks to how good of a coach the dude really is. 

McMaryion is an example of what BAD coaching will do. Can you believe McMaryion was #3 on Oregon State's depth chart behind transfers from USU and Idaho?

Boom goes the dynamite.