Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheDoggFather

Battle for the Oil Can

1 hour ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I respect Steve's football knowledge and he correctly predicted we would lose to Boise. However, he's been a Debbie Downer about this SDSU team virtually every week.

His prognostication has been in line with Rocky's opinion.  The Aztecs have been overachieving (compared to expectations) and have been making big plays at the right time - until last week, when those big plays went the other way.  Honestly, who would have predicted that we would have been 6-1 at this point in the season? 

Aztec-Nation-Banner2010-03.gif

2 hours ago, badfish said:

Our super young OL is already +++++ed up. Unless Penny goes beast mode, IDK how we score.

We score by among other things forcing the opposing defense to stop overstocking the LOS and having their LBs sneak up to fill gaps. Quick passes over the middle to TEs, screen passes to Penny, Washington and TEs, reverses to Trevillion, an occasional QB draw, etc.

I was highly disappointed in Horton last Saturday. He's shown in the past an ability to change things up at HT to counter the way his offense is being defended but other than the one bomb to Trevillion I can't recall us doing anything different in the second half against Boise.

Monty93 is correct that despite the general consensus, the sky hasn't yet fallen.

Btw, I absolutely guarantee STs will again be very good against Fresno. Just watch.

Boom goes the dynamite.

Idk Ted Jefford really well, but if he strings together a couple bowl seasons and a P5 school comes calling, is he gone? Turnaround from 1-11 will surely catch some eyes

1 minute ago, Sportzaddict said:

Nope. He has said Fresno will be his last stop as a coach. 

Yeah.  Been there, done that.  He takes us back to 9-3-, 10-2, beating P5 teams and he has a cushy job into retirement.  Not going to subject himself to a P5 job again.

7 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

Yeah.  Been there, done that.  He takes us back to 9-3-, 10-2, beating P5 teams and he has a cushy job into retirement.  Not going to subject himself to a P5 job again.

Good. Better for the MWC to have guys like he, Rocky, Calhoun and (maybe) Bohl sticking around. 

2 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I don't see Tedford leaving either. Fresno used to be home and IIRC the guy had heart problems a few years ago so you would think he would want to just ride it out there.

I don't know.. heart problems - bad air and water....not a good combo

5 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

I don't see Tedford leaving either. Fresno used to be home and IIRC the guy had heart problems a few years ago so you would think he would want to just ride it out there.

Yeah. Alma mater isn't everything - i'm sure lane kiffin would sell fresno for two bottles of scotch and a bad-tempered mule in the same situation- but here, i think it does mean something, and the stress of a high-profile P5 job isn't worth it for someone who, like you said, had heart surgery just a few years ago.   

43 minutes ago, Castle Ram said:

This thread has no pictures of the oil can. I want to see pictures of this trophy.  My grandad was a landman for standard oil in California in the twenties.  The depression ended that career lol

It's pretty unimpressive 

IMG_5030.JPG

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg

2 hours ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

Yeah. Alma mater isn't everything - i'm sure lane kiffin would sell fresno for two bottles of scotch and a bad-tempered mule in the same situation- but here, i think it does mean something, and the stress of a high-profile P5 job isn't worth it for someone who, like you said, had heart surgery just a few years ago.   

Also His whole extended family moved to Fresno.

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

8 hours ago, steveem said:

almost entirely because of the oline.  WE could win this but we need the defense and the special teams to amke the difference.

Yes Steve.

We all have to remember that going into this season Rocky told us over and over that this Oline is young and it is going to take time for it all to come together.  All worked well early but we have to admit we didn't really blow anybody away.

This Oline is going to be very good in time but now it is a work in progress...AND this was predicted to be a good season, but not a perfect season and as good as it has been so far.

16 hours ago, TheTedfordTrain said:

It's pretty unimpressive 

IMG_5030.JPG

The hell you say! It's the most coveted trophy in the known universe! Last time I was in SDSU's athletics building it was prominently displayed between the urinals in the third floor men's restroom.

Boom goes the dynamite.

26 minutes ago, SleepingGiantsFan said:

The hell you say! It's the most coveted trophy in the known universe! Last time I was in SDSU's athletics building it was prominently displayed between the urinals in the third floor men's restroom.

Still better than how SJSU displayed The Valley trophy. A TV dinner tray covered with a blue Party City birthday table cloth.  An outlet next to it in case you want to plug in a speaker to play the Sesame Street theme song on loop. 

Fresno_State_Jim_Sweeny_Field_(_Bulldog_Stadium).jpg