Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4UNLV

UNC 'Punishment'

Just now, mugtang said:

So what I’m concluding is Louisville made a mistake by not offering up prostitutes to the general student body.  If everybody got a prostitute no harm was done.  

Apparently that's exactly how it works!

Not justifying nor defending the NCAA decision here, but, shouldn't this boomerang and hit UNC perhaps harder at the accreditation process?  Except they are probably just going to have that one year probation period and nothing more.  Anybody know which schools and colleges were involved?  If so here is a link to the organizations who handle the accreditation.  The organization for the University as a whole is the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.  Guess what they have a letter dated October 9, 2017 saying UNC is not on sanction.  Not just the NCAA who is a joke in this case.  I mean if having fake classes for over a decade doesn't cause a harsher penalty than a probation period of one year, just what does it mean to be accredited?  That is actually a bigger issue to me.

3 minutes ago, Jimbo_Poke said:

Not justifying nor defending the NCAA decision here, but, shouldn't this boomerang and hit UNC perhaps harder at the accreditation process?  Except they are probably just going to have that one year probation period and nothing more.  Anybody know which schools and colleges were involved?  If so here is a link to the organizations who handle the accreditation.  The organization for the University as a whole is the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.  Guess what they have a letter dated October 9, 2017 saying they are not on sanction.  Not just the NCAA who is a joke in this case.  I mean if having fake classes for over a decade doesn't cause a harsher penalty than a probation period of one year, just what does it mean to be accredited?  That is actually a bigger issue to me.

They dismantled the program with those classes, revoked degrees from graduates who took any of those courses, fired or forced out anyone mentioned, and the entire university had its accreditation under review for a couple years.  

They went through that process already.

42 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Stewart Mandel

@slmandel

NCAA justice ... Taking money from an agent = bad Taking money from boosters = bad Steering kids to sham classes = not our problem.

I knew a few of the UNLV players, who weren't in the money sports.  Do you really want to talk about steering here? They are "steered" at every school.  And everyone on campus does it too.  This one is easily the worst I have seen though, and is a disgrace to UNC academia.

10 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I knew a few of the UNLV players, who weren't in the money sports.  Do you really want to talk about steering here? They are "steered" at every school.  And everyone on campus does it too.  This one is easily the worst I have seen though, and is a disgrace to UNC academia.

My uncle took a correspondence course from either LBSU or UNLV and got the grades before the course materials arrived. All schools have these problems. 

The NCAA could never bring itself to destroy UNC; it brings in too much money and ratings, especially in basketball. I was one who hoped that they'd throw the book at them, but they'll be too busy attacking a program like Miami or some other "non-blue blood" instead. 

1 minute ago, WAC_FAN said:

I don't see why every school (especially those with APR difficulties) starts having more "sham" classes, just the bare minimum to satisfy their accreditation requirements.

They do.  It is called communication, sociology, and public administration degrees.  Most athletes are there.

I hope they lose their Carnegie Classification.  They would lose millions in research grants a year.  Complete lack of academic integrity!!!!!!!

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill

I dunno, it’s a little hard for me to generate too much anger at UNC because I’m sure this happens at all big time schools. Hell, I remember playing at a JC and we were steered towards a few classes there; there was an “intro to athletics careers” class taught be the basketball coach, a film appreciation class that had one test the whole semester, an Astronomy course taught by a particular teacher, and any ethnic studies classes taught by a particular teacher. All those classes were filled mostly with my teammates along with a few basketball and baseball players. There were regular students as well, but we had priority registration so those classes were pretty packed before the normies had a chance to register.

If that kind of stuff happens at a junior college, I can only imagine what goes on at D1 schools.

17 minutes ago, 1IvyDog said:

I hope they lose their Carnegie Classification.  They would lose millions in research grants a year.  Complete lack of academic integrity!!!!!!!

Nothing is going to happen to UNC. 

35 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I think the point was the hypocrisy  that exists within the NCAA. 

And easy classes are one thing, fake classes are quite another, but just my opinion. 

NCAA didn't want to kick the hornets nest, is my thought process.  A lot of you are thinking "NCAA has no leg to stand on for any other infraction now".  Just think what it would be like if they punished UNC.  Every school would be skulldrug for its academic steering (No, your school isn't above the fray, not even Ivy), or they would say "to hell with NCAA". NCAA didn't want to lose the power, and the money it comes with.

1 minute ago, 4UNLV said:

I think the point was the hypocrisy  that exists within the NCAA. 

And easy classes are one thing, fake classes are quite another, but just my opinion. 

NCAA is a business masking as an NPO.  It would have been a hypocrisy to have them make less money by punishing big money school's.  It is hypocritical on us to believe we need to convince ourselves otherwise.

And at what point does easy become fake?  They bullshitted homework, got homered by professors, and had tutor aid to an irrational scale. It was the most egregious case I have heard of, but the practice occurs everywhere.  

1 minute ago, East Coast Aztec said:

NCAA is a business masking as an NPO.  It would have been a hypocrisy to have them make less money by punishing big money school's.  It is hypocritical on us to believe we need to convince ourselves otherwise.

And at what point does easy become fake?  They bullshitted homework, got homered by professors, and had tutor aid to an irrational scale. It was the most egregious case I have heard of, but the practice occurs everywhere.  

Yeah if unlv or sdsu had gotten caught doing his, we WOULD get the equivalent of the death penalty. Blue bloods don't need to worry, ever again, lol. Because $$$$. 

Sounds right.