Jump to content
renoskier

OT A question for our Mormon friends

Recommended Posts

Just now, renoskier said:

@Jack Bauer @Fido @NorCalCoug @Pelado

A LDS buddy just won a sizable cash raffle.

Isn't that considered gambling?

Is it all good if he tithes 10%?

If he takes me out to lunch, will he be upset if he has to pay for my beer?:D

I mean, by definition it's gambling, but usually those things (raffles) are often for fundraising so I have no idea.  Probably a grey area.  I wouldn't think too much of it, or if he tithes on it, or if he doesn't.  He should just do what he feels best about it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

As long as the bishop gets his 10% cut it is fine. 

I think the men folk kind of take turns, maybe he is the "bishop".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i got a question for our mormon friends,was mandalay bay an inside job?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, renoskier said:

@Jack Bauer @Fido @NorCalCoug @Pelado

A LDS buddy just won a sizable cash raffle.

Isn't that considered gambling?

Is it all good if he tithes 10%?

If he takes me out to lunch, will he be upset if he has to pay for my beer?:D

The LDS Church is strictly against gambling.  I think he should give me the money as recompense.  :woohoo:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or just have him donate the use of some family property for a youth trip and call it even.  And he is just fine to pay for your beer--as long as he gives you the judgy slow head shake as you drink it.  

schmidt.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Fido said:

 And he is just fine to pay for your beer--as long as he gives you the judgy slow head shake as you drink it.  

schmidt.jpg

:D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Fido said:

The LDS Church is strictly against gambling.  I think he should give me the money as recompense.  :woohoo:

That's what I suggested :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, renoskier said:

@Jack Bauer @Fido @NorCalCoug @Pelado

A LDS buddy just won a sizable cash raffle.

Isn't that considered gambling?

Is it all good if he tithes 10%?

If he takes me out to lunch, will he be upset if he has to pay for my beer?:D

From the Church's Handbook of Instructions:

 

21.1.19

Gambling and Lotteries

The Church opposes gambling in any form, including government-sponsored lotteries.

https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/selected-church-policies?lang=eng#21.1.19

 

So, basically, he's going to hell unless he repents.  The repentance process, among other things, requires that all winnings be used for the building up of the BYU football team.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Pelado said:

From the Church's Handbook of Instructions:

 

21.1.19

Gambling and Lotteries

The Church opposes gambling in any form, including government-sponsored lotteries.

https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/selected-church-policies?lang=eng#21.1.19

 

So, basically, he's going to hell unless he repents.  The repentance process, among other things, requires that all winnings be used for the building up of the BYU football team.

At this point in time, it looks like he better win the PowerBall to get that done! :P

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dshawfan said:

At this point in time, it looks like he better win the PowerBall to get that done! :P

Then he better get to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2017 at 2:00 PM, Pelado said:

From the Church's Handbook of Instructions:

 

21.1.19

Gambling and Lotteries

The Church opposes gambling in any form, including government-sponsored lotteries.

https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/selected-church-policies?lang=eng#21.1.19

 

So, basically, he's going to hell unless he repents.  The repentance process, among other things, requires that all winnings be used for the building up of the BYU football team.

Maybe he'll just be stuck in Purgatory because I think he donated most of it to our daughter's soccer team.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2017 at 3:00 PM, Pelado said:

From the Church's Handbook of Instructions:

 

21.1.19

Gambling and Lotteries

The Church opposes gambling in any form, including government-sponsored lotteries.

https://www.lds.org/handbook/handbook-2-administering-the-church/selected-church-policies?lang=eng#21.1.19

 

So, basically, he's going to hell unless he repents.  The repentance process, among other things, requires that all winnings be used for the building up of the BYU football team.

This...  He must be made a public example of and undergo strict and severe shaming.

tenor.gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Maybe he'll just be stuck in Purgatory because I think he donated most of it to our daughter's soccer team.

 

Promulgating soccer?  That's Outer Darkness territory.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×