Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSanDiegan

An apology to Col. Kurtz

53 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

I'm yet to find a single instance where I enjoy scotch more with a couple drops of water... Idk if it's yet another 'evolution' of the palate I'm yet to experience, or if it's simply a matter of personal preference.

Enjoying those cigars along with your Scotch may have something to do with your ability to detect a difference between a neat dram and one withi a drop or three of water. I drink my Scotch neat 90+ percent of the time and I admit that I am not always able to suss out flavor differences once a little water is added, but sometimes the change is pretty clear. I'm sure people with more sensitive abilities to taste and smell than mine are better able to taste these diffferences. 

Affordable recommendations:

Arran Malt Amarone Cask Finish - I haven't taste a release from Arran that I haven't enjoyed, but this one is extra good.

Kilchoman Machir Bay and Loch Gorm - I'm drinking their Sanaig now and like it, but the former two are better, IMO. Kilchoman is a fairly new maker and their initial releases are aged only five years, but this drinker couldn't tell that. They make really good Scotch.

Lagavullin 16 has been discussed - love it.

I haven't been drinking much Scotch lately - usually more interested as the days grow shorter and the temps drop - but I like to experiment when I'm looking for that next bottle. Keep the recommendations coming and I'll do the same as I find something new and excellent.

28 minutes ago, Posturedoc said:

Enjoying those cigars along with your Scotch may have something to do with your ability to detect a difference between a neat dram and one withi a drop or three of water. I drink my Scotch neat 90+ percent of the time and I admit that I am not always able to suss out flavor differences once a little water is added, but sometimes the change is pretty clear. I'm sure people with more sensitive abilities to taste and smell than mine are better able to taste these diffferences. 

Affordable recommendations:

Arran Malt Amarone Cask Finish - I haven't taste a release from Arran that I haven't enjoyed, but this one is extra good.

Kilchoman Machir Bay and Loch Gorm - I'm drinking their Sanaig now and like it, but the former two are better, IMO. Kilchoman is a fairly new maker and their initial releases are aged only five years, but this drinker couldn't tell that. They make really good Scotch.

Lagavullin 16 has been discussed - love it.

I haven't been drinking much Scotch lately - usually more interested as the days grow shorter and the temps drop - but I like to experiment when I'm looking for that next bottle. Keep the recommendations coming and I'll do the same as I find something new and excellent.

That Amarone cask finish Arran sounds intriguing and is cheap enough to try on spec, but I can't find it at the standard locales... The Kilchorman Machir Bay is around though.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg